Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 22 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by DCRand
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0851[1] (resized).JPG
    IMG_6089 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0987 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0986 (resized).JPG
    wmstep3b (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    #1 6 years ago

Ok, searched pinside and the web, know I am being deaf dumb and blind. But can't find what this alt 0-9 unit symbol on a Gottlieb schematic means. Game is Drop a Card

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#2 6 years ago

that's a pair of eighth notes. you are supposed to play them at half the duration of a quarter note.

#3 6 years ago

As it is drawn. A circuit through a Zero to Nine Stepper. Most likely a mini stepper, for the Match Lights, or for controlling a moving target lamps on the playfield. There is no context on which circuit the photo is for.

#4 6 years ago

That's the contacts of a wiper finger.

#5 6 years ago

Like Ken says - they're wipers of a stepper, or motor (i.e. Rowe Selector, Bill Acceptor, etc.)

#6 6 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

that's a pair of eighth notes. you are supposed to play them at half the duration of a quarter note.

Nah, 8th notes need to be filled in. Those are half notes. Beamed half notes indicate a tremelo. Should alternate between 2 notes though, odd that they fall on the same pitch.

Also, ignore this post and read the more likely correct answers above.

#7 6 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

And if I knew anything about reading music, of course I would have figured that out. lol

#8 6 years ago

Thank you for the musical info, and note to ignore. When tuning my grand piano, after I buy a grand piano, I will send you a post. As for stepper unit, that makes sense. There is a 0 to 9 stepper. And as for the overall problem, any of you who like a good mystery, see my post re the problem I can't find with this Drop a Card. Been driving me crazy on and off for over a year. I work on it for a week or two, then ignore it for 6 months. Determined to solve it this time.

#9 6 years ago

The "ALT" label in the schematic may indicate that those particular wipers on the "0-9" stepper alternate as the stepper advances. In other words, they make the connection every other time the stepper advances (e.g. 0 open, 1 closed, 2 open, 3 closed, etc.).

#10 6 years ago

There is an alternating stepper (typically in the backbox) that is really small, two disks on both sides with wipers and a plastic ratchet cam and switch inside. Every time the 10 point chime activates the alternating stepper moves one position. The wipers on the outside are for the game over match. The wipers on the outside just go around and around so when the game is over, the number it's on if it matches the last two digits you get a replay. But since the 0 reel is static you are just really going from 0-9 of the first actual score reel (10 reel).

Now the second function of this is the plastic cam on the inside with the switch. Every time you hit a 10 point switch some feature alternates ON/OFF or from one side of the playfield to the other (bonus, E. ball, special, etc.) The switch opens when 10 points is added then closes when the next 10 points is added. This usually energizes and de-energizes the EB relay or whatever the feature is that alternates from side to side or on and off.

That symbol is for the wipers of the 0-9 stepper portion of the alternating relay. Disregard the notes on the picture below. This was the best picture I could find. The wipers are on the disk on both sides.

wmstep3b (resized).jpgwmstep3b (resized).jpg

#11 6 years ago

Funny that they called it an 0-9; usually (or later?) it's an FS, and as noted above, it's for the end of game match bonus.

#13 6 years ago
    Quoted from schudel5:

There is an alternating stepper (typically in the backbox) that is really small, two disks on both sides with wipers and a plastic ratchet cam and switch inside. Every time the 10 point chime activates the alternating stepper moves one position. The wipers on the outside are for the game over match. The wipers on the outside just go around and around so when the

Have a stepper unit in the back box, but it looks completely different. Pics of it in place and hinged down. It is not labeled, so not sure if it is the 0-9 stepper.

IMG_0986 (resized).JPGIMG_0986 (resized).JPG

IMG_0987 (resized).JPGIMG_0987 (resized).JPG

#14 6 years ago

Compare the schematic wire colors to those on the unit you're looking at.

#15 6 years ago

This is a 00-09 "AS" type relay or mini-stepper.

IMG_6089 (resized).jpgIMG_6089 (resized).jpg

#16 6 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

That gave me the heartiest laugh I've had in a good while. Thank you!

#17 6 years ago
    Quoted from Playdium:

This is a 00-09 "AS" type relay or mini-stepper.

Thanks, there is not a stepper that looks like this in either the back box or the cabinet.

#18 6 years ago
    Quoted from HowardR:

Compare the schematic wire colors to those on the unit you're looking at.

Have been tracing schematic / wire colors and just haven't been able to find the problem. And interestingly now have two topic threads going on the same problem.

#19 6 years ago
    Quoted from DCRand:

Thanks, there is not a stepper that looks like this in either the back box or the cabinet.

OK, try this. Trace the wires from the match lamps, (0-9), on the light box. They should run back to the relay.

#20 6 years ago

Thanks. And started over from scratch last night and found a switch on the playfield that was just barely touching. Problem solved.

#21 6 years ago

Is this what you have?

IMG_0851[1] (resized).JPGIMG_0851[1] (resized).JPG

#22 6 years ago
    Quoted from currieddog:

Is this what you have?

No, see double pics 5 or 6 posts above. And thanks again to everyone for the help. Even though should have found it first time through, nice to have it solved.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-does-this-symbol-mean and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.