(Topic ID: 159751)

What does this part do on a Gottlieb Credit Wheel?

By 4Max

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by MarkG
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Gottlieb_Credit_Unit_(resized).jpg
IMG_3209a_(resized).jpg
#1 7 years ago

Am doing the initial check/clean of all steppers, and am baffled by one of the parts in the credit unit (Gottlieb Paradise 1965).

If I connect the spring marked in yellow, the green bit catches on the red part and it does not step down.

IMG_3209a_(resized).jpgIMG_3209a_(resized).jpg

If I disconnect the spring and simply let part with the green end sit resting on the knocker switch, stepper steps down beautifully.

So, I could leave it, but always keen to have it setup correctly, but I'd like to know that that piece does (the bit with the green end) and am I ok to just leave it without the spring attached if the wheel seems to step up and down ok?

thanks!

#2 7 years ago

That part it is attached to is listed as a 'Drive Lever A-8307'. The smaller attachments are called 'Drive Arms'

#3 7 years ago

Not really sure.

I have had a lot of trouble with these and altering the stop brackets makes massive difference and has usually fixed many.

Factory is with spring so try and get it functioning 100% with spring

#4 7 years ago

Sounds like the red tab may be bent and interferes where it should clear.

The bigger issue that often happens is the pivot of the arm with the part number arrow A-2439 will gum up and not follow the toothed cam keeping the unit from stepping up properly.

#5 7 years ago

Hard to say without having it in front of me.
But I will say that Gottlieb didn't install extra parts that serve no purpose.
I'd check MikeO's suggestion above and ensure that all pivot points allow the various arms to pivot easily.
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://ChrisHiblerPinball.com/contact/
http://webpages.charter.net/chibler/Pinball/index.htm
http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

#6 7 years ago

What have you done to this unit so far?

I have rebuilt many of these and never encountered the issue you describe when properly assembled.

If the toothed wheel moves out too far, the mechs can hang up on the wheel. Also, as mentioned before, the pivot points are critical.

I believe that "green bit" actuates the knocker switch, so if you futz with it, I would expect a knocker malfunction. Perhaps double or triple knocks. Or, the lever just sitting on the switch and burning up your coil.

#7 7 years ago

I agree with ChrisH - it's hard to say without seeing it. Here's a closeup of one that works mechanically as it should.

Gottlieb_Credit_Unit_(resized).jpgGottlieb_Credit_Unit_(resized).jpg

Things to check include:

- Are the springs all connected to the correct holes? The short spring connected to the part you're having trouble with should be connected to the lower, outer hole on the end of the lever arm.
- Is the part moving freely? The green tab you highlighted should remain parallel with the lever arm behind it as it moves.
- Are the various parts in the right place relative to each other? I don't think the green and red tabs should touch normally.
- Are the stops for the lever arm adjusted properly? The arm should swing just enough to engage a tooth on wheel and advance it, not much more.

Looking at it closely, I too have to wonder what that part is for.

/Mark

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet Parts
Space Coast Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-does-this-part-do-on-a-gottlieb-credit-wheel and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.