(Topic ID: 189767)

What does the upper playfield on Aerosmith actually do?

By twinmice

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by SamIam
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

On the verge of getting one, played the pro, will definitely try and play the premium first also, but i watched some vids as there is not one located near me to try but did not seem liked it did much? I kinda thought it actually slowed down the Elevator Multiball? Can any owners of the Prem or LE give an opinion on it, good or bad?

#2 6 years ago

I love the upper playfield. Other mini playfields are stop and go. You do have to wait for the vuk but otherwise dropping down the elevator, ramp or around the ramp pretty much flows with the game. It allows for double scoring, loading a locked ball as well as shooting for a song shot. Its tough up there and doesnt get boring to me. Elevator multiball shoots a ball up there too as you progress to the next floor.

#3 6 years ago

I've played both the Aerosmith pro and premium, I now own an ASLE. The upper playfeild doesn't do much but IMO it's perfectly integrated into the gameplay and I like it alot. I find it's easier to get elevator multibal with the upper playfield than the pro. The right ramp on the pro is easier than on premium because with upper playfield it's much steeper, and risky of a drain SDTM. However when you shoot that shot and it orbits around it's oh so satisfying. Either way it's a super fun game.

#4 6 years ago

The main purpose of the mini-playfield is 2X Playfield scoring - just like the bell on AC/DC.
At any time you can double anything/everything by starting 2X Playfield.

So obviously one of the best times to do this is during a multiball - which they have integrated extremely well because Elevator multiball alternates jackpots between the elevator shot and all shots. So every other jackpot in Elevator MB feeds the upper playfield to assist starting 2X Playfield. A key part of what makes a mini-playfield fun is playing it while also keeping other balls in play during MB. You don't spend a lot of time up there, but the time you do is exciting as you are going for a big reward (2X everything).

I place it up there with my top mini-playfields implementations: Twilight Zone, The Shadow and Aerosmith

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from T7:

The main purpose of the mini-playfield is 2X Playfield scoring - just like the bell on AC/DC.
At any time you can double anything/everything by starting 2X Playfield.
So obviously one of the best times to do this is during a multiball - which they have integrated extremely well because Elevator multiball alternates jackpots between the elevator shot and all shots. So every other jackpot in Elevator MB feeds the upper playfield to assist starting 2X Playfield. A key part of what makes a mini-playfield fun is playing it while also keeping other balls in play during MB. You don't spend a lot of time up there, but the time you do is exciting as you are going for a big reward (2X everything).
I place it up there with my top mini-playfields implementations: Twilight Zone, The Shadow and Aerosmith

do you know how 2x playfield is achieved in the pro version?

1 week later
#6 6 years ago

This post is a little late but I would like to add my opinions on the upper playfield vs the pro.

I own a premium LE and played a pro several times. First either one is a great game, so lets look at the differences. The elevator multiball to start with is easier to get on premium. On the pro you need to shoot the ramps before qualifying lock. On the premium you only have to shoot an orbit or the drop the target to get in the elevator, there is an adjustment for the difficulty but I haven't messed with it. Once in the elevator your ball goes up to the upper playfield, on the pro the elevator scoop is always open and the ball goes in and shoots back out and if you lock a ball it does so electronically like the coffin on Metallica pro. The upper playfield then has 5 standup targets you try to hit all to qualify double scoring, there doesn't seem to be this function on the pro. Then back to premium, you either shoot the elevator and it drops down into the lock for toy box or you shoot the upper orbit to start double scoring. If you miss, the ball falls down the right ramp. About the right ramp, on both games its a narrow shot so it needs to be accurate. The premium is a steeper ramp and a little tougher than the pro which has a long gradual slope. The ball is not stopped on the upper playfield, it simply obits around and back to the right flipper just like the ramp of the pro

So overall, IMO the upper playfield of premium is integrated into the game perfectly. Maybe it doesnt do alot but It doesn't take anything away from the main playfeild and adds just the right amount of game play and strategy without breaking up the flow of the game. But the pro gives you a great game as well. Either game is fun to play, they are just different mostly involving the elevator & double scoring. I would consider it an extra toy.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 19.95
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

Playfield - Other
Gameroom Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.95
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 12.75
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 39.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 9.95
Playfield - Plastics
ULEKstore

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-does-the-upper-playfield-on-aerosmith-actually-do?hl=samiam and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.