(Topic ID: 30434)

What does the Stern factory produce every day?

By frolic

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 26 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by MrBally
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

SoylentGreen_186Pyxurz.jpg
    1341432536964.jpg
    #1 11 years ago

Hi everyone,

From my understanding, the Stern factory does runs of games as needed, so it doesn't run every day, or does it?

From the videos I've seen, they have lots of staff, so what do they all do between runs?

Or is there ALWAYS a game being produced?

#2 11 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

What does the Stern factory produce every day?

Pinball machines.

#3 11 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Pinball machines.

LOL! I was about to say that!

If I understand correctly, you are asking if they keep the line going all the time? I assume for parts and such they would make quite a bit.

#4 11 years ago

ha, well, yeah, it just seems like they aren't producing pinball machines every day, but parts and stuff would make sense between machines.

#5 11 years ago

I don't think Stern 'makes' much of anything. It is more of an assembly plant, all 'parts and stuff'
    are pretty much made elsewhere and Stern designs the game and then assembles the games from
    parts they acquire. It seemed very similar to a car assembly plant, just on a much smaller scale.

At least that's what I saw when I took the Stern tour at this past Expo, mind you a portion of the
    factory was tarped off, but the general consensus was they were just hiding the yet to be released
    Avengers from the view of the general public.

#6 11 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

ha, well, yeah, it just seems like they aren't producing pinball machines every day, but parts and stuff would make sense between machines.

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I do not believe they make any parts in house. They design parts and have them made, then they assemble. In other words, they do not deal with raw materials to make components.

#7 11 years ago

ok, so I have to go back to my original question.... are they "assembling" pins every day of the work week?

#8 11 years ago

I would assume they assemble pins every day they can, otherwise they are losing money thru overhead and wages. If they are only making 25 pins / day, and a typical initial run is over 1000 pros and 500 LEs, then that will take a few months, when they put out the next game.
    I would also think that it takes some amount of time to retool from one game to the next. How much time that is I have no idea.

#9 11 years ago

Cool, thanks for the insight.

I guess from years of experience they know exactly how to stagger production to keep it humming. For some reason I had the impression they had down time.

#10 11 years ago

I think the answer is pretty apparent if you think about it. Even though their workers are unskilled hourly workers (guessing), being unable to provide them without a cconsistent 40 hour week would lead to massive turnover. That is very expensive to a company.

#11 11 years ago

The truth is known by a select few....

1341432536964.jpg1341432536964.jpg SoylentGreen_186Pyxurz.jpgSoylentGreen_186Pyxurz.jpg

#12 11 years ago

...it's peeeeeeeeeople!!! ^^^^

#13 11 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I think the answer is pretty apparent if you think about it. Even though their workers are unskilled hourly workers (guessing), being unable to provide them without a cconsistent 40 hour week would lead to massive turnover. That is very expensive to a company.

During a tour I took at Stern this summer, they mentioned they hire several workers through temp agencies. They also said that they try to make each work station easy to figure out on what to do so that just about any one can walk up to that position and fiqure out in a short time about what to do .

#14 11 years ago

I remember reading on rgp years ago that sometimes they did assembly for other companies but that probably was only a few rare times.

As far as I know they produce pins every day.. that's probably also one of the reasons why some pins are rushed and released with incomplete software - when one game stops selling and they have no re-runs of older machines to do, their only option is to start producing the next game in line.

But that's all from reading/hearing, never been there myself..

#16 11 years ago
    Quoted from aeneas:

I remember reading on rgp years ago that sometimes they did assembly for other companies but that probably was only a few rare times.

It crossed my mind, with some of the new companies at this (Skit-b), it might be advantageous to work a deal with either Stern or now JJP and get them to build their machines for them.

#17 11 years ago

If Stern makes 20 pins a day that equals about 4000 a year which is around the estimates that have been made based on the serial numbers over the last few years.

#18 11 years ago

According to the documentaries I've watched (I think this was most extensively covered in The Pinball Passion), Stern hires workers seasonally for their assembly lines, so that they are not paying them during times when they are not building. That was my understanding, though it certainly could have changed since then.

#19 11 years ago
    Quoted from PEN:

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I do not believe they make any parts in house. They design parts and have them made, then they assemble. In other words, they do not deal with raw materials to make components.

For the most part, true, they are very much a general assembly plant. However, they do weave their own wiring harnesses in house.

In between titles, I expect there's not a lot of downtime either. Yeah, you'll have a few assembly jigs you'll have to change out and some procedures to modify, but a competent plant engineering staff can do that over a weekend.

Later,
    EV

#20 11 years ago
    Quoted from EchoVictor:

For the most part, true, they are very much a general assembly plant. However, they do weave their own wiring harnesses in house.

In between titles, I expect there's not a lot of downtime either. Yeah, you'll have a few assembly jigs you'll have to change out and some procedures to modify, but a competent plant engineering staff can do that over a weekend.

Later,
    EV

I agree, but harnesses are still assembly. Not the raw material to make components I was speaking of.

#21 11 years ago

Maybe they run a goofy 4on 3off schedule or some variation and work 10hr days. Or if they meet a production quota they get paid for 40. Id imagine the less time the plant is operating saves $ energy wise and all....

#22 11 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Tell that to the company I work for, we hire "temps" and keep them around for years. That way when its slow we tell them not to come in, don't have to give them benefits, etc. Its really shitty, they have even laid people off and then offered them their job back on a temp position.

*Just venting about work, not trying to rebuke your post*

#23 11 years ago

That's pretty f^(ked up, but understandable. Maybe Stern does that too.

Post edited by absocountry2 : Profanity edited

#24 11 years ago

Gary mentioned they expect to produce 5000 pins this year. Heard that today at Iaapa. Truth? Who knows but it is what he said.

#25 11 years ago
    Quoted from Rabscuttle:

Stern hires workers seasonally for their assembly lines

My company does the same thing for at least half our production workers.. Product cycles vary so much through the year, and temps means not having to pay out benefits. It's sad but true.

1 week later
    #26 11 years ago
    Quoted from mrbillishere:

The truth is known by a select few....

What is Soylent Green? Where is Edward G.?

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-does-the-stern-factory-produce-every-day and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.