2 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

bkvoc (resized).jpg
#1 2 years ago

Black Knight sword of rage question.
After getting all the KNIGHT letters and starting the old school Black Knight mode, the screen changes and he says something that sounds like " I will play you my Penny." Which is not very black knight sounding, but my ears are not what they used to be.
Can anybody shed some light on what he actually says?
Thanks!

#2 2 years ago
Quoted from Mutilatedlips:

Black Knight sword of rage question.
After getting all the KNIGHT letters and starting the old school Black Knight mode, the screen changes and he says something that sounds like " I will play you my Penny." Which is not very black knight sounding, but my ears are not what they used to be.
Can anybody shed some light on what he actually says?
Thanks!

I will slay you, my enemy.

#3 2 years ago

"There's a bathroom on the right" = "There's a bad moon on the rise"

#4 2 years ago

HA! I thought it said "I will play you my game". Silly 1980s sound bytes.

#5 2 years ago

The original 1980 BK speech is pretty crude and low-rez compared to today's tech alright. 'Slay' sounds like 'play' even if you've heard it a thousand times.
And how they turned 'again' into 'against' wasn't very good either, the 'st' sound on the end is very weak. 'Three' sounds like 'th-lee'. "Fight again th-lee enemies". XD

#6 2 years ago

Lol, thank you. It was really bugging me

#7 2 years ago

The original BK vocabulary:
bkvoc (resized).jpgbkvoc (resized).jpg

To save ROM space, for example "fight" and "right" are made by replacing "n" from "knight" with "f " or "r". "Slay" sounds like "play" because "s" needs a good high frequency response, which the old speech board couldn't afford so it is a bit muddled.

Anyway, clever programming to synthesize many new words by re-arranging the samples!

And I just can't keep myself from reading this topic aloud in deep voice: "WHAT - DOES - THEE - BLACK - KNIGHT - SLAY"

#8 2 years ago

All good points. I would add that it is hard to get the critical high and mid frequencies to your ear when it is playing through a single speaker facing the floor.

#9 2 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

All good points. I would add that it is hard to get the critical high and mid frequencies to your ear when it is playing through a single speaker facing the floor.

And a carpeted floor. I think I'll try temporarily connecting a smaller speaker behind the grille that is under the head just to see how it sounds. I got lots of leftover transistor radio speakers I could play around with.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop

$ 16.00
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 299.99
Cabinet - Other
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

8,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pillager, MN
Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
$ 53.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 12.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 1,059.00
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 1,499.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Paradise Distribution

$ 959.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 39.99
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Grafton, WI
$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Titusville, FL
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-does-the-black-knight-say?hl=mutilatedlips and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.