2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by CNKay
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

index (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider 30fathomdave.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#6 2 years ago

I've always found "FIRM" to be a bad business move. People like feeling like they got a deal, especially when spending thousands of dollars.

If you truly are firm on your price, price it just a little bit higher than that, and let your would-be buyer haggle you down to your firm price.

You get what you wanted, and the buyer feels good about themselves for negotiating a better price. Win-win.

The only time it makes sense IMO is when you've already lowered the price a few times, and you've truly reached the point where you're just looking to get your "rock bottom" price.

#15 2 years ago
    Quoted from Agent_Hero:

I don't understand this. If priced reasonably, you either want it or you don't. Cut the crapola and either buy it or don't.
    Expecting a few hundred off is fine on an OBO pricing, but when it's priced reasonably and labeled as firm I find it "bad business" by the buyer to insist on that same few hundred dollars off on the firm price. Sure, it never hurts to ask, but some sellers prefer to skip the haggling nonsense when it's time to sell an item. Most collectors know what price will sell a game and what price will not.

Oh, I agree. If a game is priced reasonably, hagglers risk losing out to someone who's willing to pay a fair price. I've gotten many games that were priced fairly by telling the seller "That's a great deal, and I'm not even going to try to haggle you. I'll take it for your full asking price. I'll be there in 30 minutes with the cash."

I guess my point was more about enticing would-be buyers to reach out (and I totally get the reverse of this: not wanting to deal with tire-kickers). It's like if you're selling something on eBay, it's usually a smart move to start the auction a little lower than what you actually want to sell it for, because once people bid, that desire to "win" kicks in, and they're suddenly willing to pay more once they feel like they might lose. I've listed things for sale at the price I wanted and gotten zero bidders, and then re-list it for less... and then it winds up selling for more than I listed it for the first time around because competition became a factor. Selling stuff in a non-auction environment can kind of work the same way, but instead of people bidding up, they bid down. If you start slightly above the price you want, that desire for the buyer to "win" kicks in, and they may be more willing to buy.

"The Dance" can be frustrating, but I've had much better luck pricing things with flexibility and keeping my rock bottom price to myself... unless I'm in a big hurry to sell or don't want to field tire-kickers.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 24.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 3.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 12.75
    $ 239.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Tilttopper
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 18.95
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Medisinyl Mods
    $ 369.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    € 59.80
    Lighting - Backbox
    Freddys Pinball Paradise
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 12.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 9.95
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 69.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 1.95
    Various Novelties
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 29.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 229.99
    $ 115.00
    Boards
    Little Shop Of Games
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 128.00
    Playfield - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider 30fathomdave.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside