Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 29 posts
  • 24 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by curban
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

BC6EAE93-10D9-474C-B4A2-09B58D4D655A (resized).jpeg
    Resized952019092495135654 (resized).jpg

#1 2 years ago

When you are looking at buying or selling a game, what does the phrase “needs a shop job” mean to you?

#2 2 years ago
    Quoted from HereToStay:

When you are looking at buying or selling a game, what does the phrase “needs a shop job” mean to you?

Machine needs to have all the plastics and topside mechs removed to give it a deep clean, change burnt out lights, replace all the rubbers, rebuild the mechs. It’s very common, games need them every few years.

#3 2 years ago

Filthy above and below playfield . Likely bulbs . Flipper arms , sleeves stops and check coil swelling as well as flipper bushings. All rubbers . Ramps and playfield plastics inspection for cracks and chips . Jewel posts cracked . Insert inspection . Hard to see wear thru filth . Burnt plugs and battery damage mpu.

Or from operator perspective. Flipper work at all and will the machine accept coins ?

Very subjective term " shop job " Better to avoid .

Enjoy the day Shane

#4 2 years ago

If beyond a transactional conversation yes pull down to playfield from above . Same coil sluggishment can occur from below as well ( diverter gate solinoids pop bumper rebuilds etc. .

If arm wrestling over value was my first reply.

Shane

#5 2 years ago

Everything is removed and cleaned...

Resized952019092495135654 (resized).jpgResized952019092495135654 (resized).jpg
    #6 2 years ago

Means needs a shop

#7 2 years ago
    Quoted from HereToStay:

“Shop job” is just nebulous enough to mean different things to different people, and the phrase is probably best avoided to reduce confusion.

My definition matches Isochronic’s, and I always assumed this was basically “universal” and non controversial:

Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Machine needs to have all the plastics and topside mechs removed to give it a deep clean, change burnt out lights, replace all the rubbers, rebuild the mechs. It’s very common, games need them every few years.

Game intact and mostly functional, but in obvious need of a good scrubbing and some TLC = shop job

Game not playable and needs full playfield teardown and/or major mechanical or electronics rebuild = full overhaul

#8 2 years ago

Needs a shop means "I don't feel like doing anything to it before selling".

#9 2 years ago

The local sellers around me seem to think a "full shop job" means "I replaced the rubbers and put in some gaudy LEDs". I don't think I've ever encountered a "shopped" game that had the mechs or plastics cleaned.

#10 2 years ago

Remove coin door and attach it to a new machine

#11 2 years ago
    Quoted from RatShack:

Needs a shop means "I don't feel like doing anything to it before selling".

I love the ones covered in dirt that looked fresh dragged out of a shed and no pics of powered up, asking top dollar.

Needs shop job.

Hard pass

#12 2 years ago

My thought was that for the average person with very little knowledge on pinball, a shop job probably means that the work required to make the machine playable is more than just a blown fuse.
    For a pinside person familiar with pinball machines, "shop job" means a lot more than that.

#13 2 years ago

Definitely means different things to different people. Particularly between Operators and joe hobbyist. I think the term meant something specific to operators. But what do i know - i’m more of a Joe Hobbyist lol.

That said, i think any description of a game is best backed up with details. Go ahead and used “shopped” (since when selling a game here you need to choose a category). But then describe what you did exactly. Just represent your work accordingly. If all you did was wipe it down and change some bulbs i’ll respect you more if you just say that.

#14 2 years ago

Shopped to me means elastics changed, no bulbs burned out and working as intended minimum.

Minimum.

The term "shopped out" implies it was in a shop being worked on.

#15 2 years ago

It means it needs more than a fuse.

LTG : )

#16 2 years ago

at least 20 hours of your time and 100 dollars worth of parts to get in good playable condition.

#18 2 years ago
    Quoted from the9gman:

at least 20 hours of your time and 100 dollars worth of parts to get in good playable condition.

Well that will always depend on your starting point too.

I have a Batman I'm going through that needed "a shop job" but was playing more or less when it rolled through the door.

Needed some MPU board work (flashers and some controlled out, trace repair too) still had some incandescent & dead bulbs buried on the playfield, dead elastics present (all the easy ones were done) and the ramps needed repairs in 6 or 7 different locations. I think I'll be under 20 hours, but I tend to hustle though. Someone had already done some work (new power board, some leds and elastics) so I'm just carrying on from where someone else started.

Of course if the MPU had to be sent out for repair.. then more money is involved.

#19 2 years ago

it means im too lazy or don't know how to fix it, so i'll let the buyer do it.

#20 2 years ago
    BC6EAE93-10D9-474C-B4A2-09B58D4D655A (resized).jpegBC6EAE93-10D9-474C-B4A2-09B58D4D655A (resized).jpeg
    #21 2 years ago

Your pic would be my definition. Top side fully stripped and fully detailed replacing anything worn or damaged. Restore would be top and bottom full restore including all boards.

#22 2 years ago

From a seller agree with chuckwurt posted "nothing" unless I knew them.

If I'm selling a Bally SS game for example- PF stripped, cleaned & waxed, new pop bumper plastic parts & sockets, flipper bats, rubbers, bulbs, PF chrome tumbled or polished. Plastics cleaned and leveled if needed. Underside- New coil sleeves everywhere, any worn flipper parts replaced, usually sleeves, EOS switches, coil stops and plungers plus springs. Clean & adjust every switch to perfection. Replace any display with a missing digit.

New leg levelers, leg bolts and usually repaint the legs. New connectors at the rectifier as a minimal job. If OE boards are working, great. But I usually have the SDB upgraded, MPU gets NVRAM and sound board gets new caps. Clean coin door, new decal.

That my minimum for "shopped".

#23 2 years ago

It means…I’m lazy and this machine is a dirty piece of shit, come get it.

#24 2 years ago

“Needs a shop job” and “recently shopped” typically mean two drastically different things

#25 2 years ago

To me, "shop job" brings more to mind cleaning a game and making it serviceable than stripping the entire pf, doing board work etc -

when i think "shop job", i think replacing coil sleeves in slings/pops, getting flippers working perfectly, all switches adjusted/working, replacing burnt bulbs, new rubber rings, clean and wax everything you can without dismantling the entire game, new ball, new glass.

I don't flip tons of games but at a minimum, that's the list. Sell a 100% functioning, clean game that plays the way it's supposed to.

The last few years I've gotten into much deeper restorations w cabinet re-stenciling and pf swaps that are more than shop jobs, but for games I plan on keeping. Again, I don't flip many games.

#27 2 years ago

Thanks for all the responses. It confirmed my suspicion that the term can cover a lot of ambiguous ground. I’m still holding with my working understanding of “shop job” as an adjustment of functional playfield components in conjunction with a deep cleaning, new rubber and the replacement of any burnt out light bulbs.

Going further than that (total topside tear down, board work, fixing broken mechs) is deeper work than needing to be shopped out.

Totally agree with everyone who expressed some variation on the idea that detailed disclosure as to what was done to or needs to be done to a game is vastly preferable to just saying “recently shopped” or “needs to be shopped”.

#28 2 years ago
    Quoted from HereToStay:

Totally agree with everyone who expressed some variation on the idea that detailed disclosure as to what was done to or needs to be done to a game is vastly preferable to just saying “recently shopped” or “needs to be shopped”.

Bingo.

#29 2 years ago

There’s a lot of ambiguity in that phrase.

I think for some sellers advertising “recently shopped” means that they took the glass off and wiped what they could reach with some paper towels and 409. Usually there’s some left over pieces of paper towel that tore off and the ‘mechanic’ didn’t notice or was too lazy to remove.

“Needs a shop” probably means at very least that 1) it’s dirty, and 2) rubbers need replaced. It also likely means that coil sleeves need replaced and/or some coils, switches, bulbs, etc aren’t working 100%.

My last “needs shopped” BSD purchase required a new mist board (or repair), a couple of switches, new rubbers, and good cleaning.

Never hurts to ask for seller to clarify what they did or what needs done.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-does-need-shop-job-mean-to-you?hl=dent00 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.