Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 33 posts
  • 23 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by lpeters82
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

seawitch (resized).jpg
    firepower (resized).jpg

#1 7 years ago

I've watched numerous videos with players often using the work "brick" or "bricked" constantly but in so many different ways that, in the end, I feel I have no idea what it means exactly.

I've asks a few collectors locally (Alberta, Canada) and they all said they have never heard it before yet on PAPA videos it's like every second word (example:

)

Where did "brick"/"bricked" come from and what does it mean? Can you list all they different ways it can be used? In what regions is it used/not used? Thanks in advance!

#2 7 years ago

Let me start off... at 2:18, "lock shot bricked out"

#3 7 years ago

I believe it's when you strike a drop target and it does not drop.
    faz

Edit: I have heard drop target rejects described as "brick" for YEARS! Especially my Catacomb drops.

#4 7 years ago

At 2:26, "those brick-outs out of the lock"

#5 7 years ago

It comes from basketball. When you shoot a bank shot off the backboard and you miss it is called a brick. So brick means a bad bounce / reject.

#6 7 years ago

4:45, "bricked out of the camera into the relight"

#7 7 years ago

Ah basketball, thanks!

#8 7 years ago

it's a term for a badly missed shot.

#9 7 years ago

It has another meaning in the world of technology...when something is "bricked" it means it's unrepairable (usually due to a firmware or chip failure) and basically turns it into paperweight, i.e. a brick.

#10 7 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

It has another meaning in the world of technology...when something is "bricked" it means it's unrepairable (usually due to a firmware or chip failure) and basically turns it into paperweight, i.e. a brick.

Like old note book batteries.

However in pinball I always referred to a bricked shot as a shot that didn't make it. Usually hitting a post or side of ramp.

#11 7 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

Like old note book batteries.
    However in pinball I always referred to a bricked shot as a shot that didn't make it. Usually hitting a post or side of ramp.

Yup -- missed shot that usually hits a post, or other object and bounces back.

Btw this reminds me -- I was thinking pinside could use a glossary page for all these pinball terms and all the game shorthands (wh2o, ww, etc)

#12 7 years ago

Brick shot?..... never heard of it.

#13 7 years ago

I thought it was when you hit you shot but it doesn't count , like shooting into a scoop or saucer perfectly and it bounces out without registering.

#14 7 years ago
    Quoted from Mitch:

I thought it was when you hit you shot but it doesn't count , like shooting into a scoop or saucer perfectly and it bounces out without registering.

Yep, hitting a post is not a bricked shot. Reject = brick. It implies some level of bad luck. Post = miss.

#15 7 years ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

I was thinking pinside could use a glossary page for all these pinball terms and all the game shorthands (wh2o, ww, etc)

Yeah sometimes I'm lost at some of these shorthand abbreviations. And with some games using same ones makes it worse.
    SS= Scared Stiff, Space Shuttle, Space Station.
    HH= Haunted house, Hollywood heat.

#16 7 years ago

Born and raised in Washington DC, in the playground is where I spent most of my days lol...Bricked is when you choke and miss the shot mainly in Basketball but totally works if not better for Pinball...get off our Kool-Aid Canada you hosers lol

#17 7 years ago

Dare I even ask the question, but could a dead on arrival BM66 that needs parts and a repair to get it playable right out of the box be considered bricked, I wonder? Or is it only partially bricked if it still boots up since some of the mechs and etc still work? Not to single out Stern or BM66 but I know of at least 1 Pinsider this definitely happened to.

#18 7 years ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

I was thinking pinside could use a glossary page for all these pinball terms and all the game shorthands (wh2o, ww, etc)

I think Steve Bowden has that covered at http://funwithbonus.com/category/dictionary-pinball/

#19 7 years ago

As a lot of people mentioned it is a missed shot.
    http://funwithbonus.com/new-pinball-dictionary-brick/

#20 7 years ago

In bball, a brick is a missed shot, typically a knuckleball, too hard, and lacking in arc, which has that distinctive clang/thud off the rim. Applying that to pinball, your shot clangs/thuds off of a post/some other structure causing you to miss your intended target (e.g.ramp). I have sequences in MMR where I am able to score an impressive number of consecutive bricks. If you ever got points for hitting those effing black posts, I'd be setting world records!

#21 7 years ago

I've always heard/used it as a good shot that gets rejected. Hitting a scoop perfectly, but bouncing off the back and back onto the playfield. Or hitting a drop target squarely where the drop target doesn't drop. Could also apply to a ramp shot where the ramp was hit square and strong, but the ball hops on the flap and hits a switch bracket and comes back down. It's a shot that 99.9% of the time would be perfect, but for some strange law of physics, the ball does not go where it's supposed to and gets rejected.

It's not defined as a missed shot where it hits the post on the side of the scoop, or ramp or target, etc. That's just simply a missed shot.

#22 7 years ago

I've always thought of it in the basketball context: brick = missed shot where you've now hit the adjacent post or stand-up target of death, and the ball "bricks" off the post/target just like the basketball "bricks" off the rim, bouncing out of control.

A good shot that gets rejected, in my pinball parlance, is simply a "reject."

#23 7 years ago

I always interpreted it as the physical result obtained whether you either:

- miss the shot by a hair and hit something unintended instead
    - choke your mentally intended shot by a mile and send the ball god-fuck-knows-where
    - make the shot perfectly but have the game mockingly spit the ball back in your face

....In all cases, you might well achieve the same negative outcome by flipping a brick instead of a ball.

Alternatively, I have always referred to the "brick shot" as that last, unusually potent brick-to-face swig or two at the bottom of the bottle

#24 7 years ago

It means the exact same thing as Bric-à-brac. Oh wait, no it doesn't...

It's a just a variation of the phrase "brick" in basketball shooting.

Seems to be more of a midwestern phrase from the 80's+90's.

#25 7 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Quoted from sevenrites:

Dare I even ask the question, but could a dead on arrival BM66 that needs parts and a repair to get it playable right out of the box be considered bricked, I wonder? Or is it only partially bricked if it still boots up since some of the mechs and etc still work? Not to single out Stern or BM66 but I know of at least 1 Pinsider this definitely happened to.

Interesting... maybe onto something here...

Perhaps faulty Stern playfields should be called "bricked" as they miss the mark and bounce right back to the Stern factory!

#27 7 years ago

I remember that sometimes you would unbox a Firepower and it would be bricked, right from the factory.

firepower (resized).jpgfirepower (resized).jpg

#28 7 years ago

Seawitch sometimes was bricked right out of the box, too

seawitch (resized).jpgseawitch (resized).jpg

#29 7 years ago

Nice!! Still think it would be great to have this info compiled on a pinside glossary of terms as well along with all the game acronyms

#30 7 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

I remember that sometimes you would unbox a Firepower and it would be bricked, right from the factory.

I got a fire power with the bricks.

#31 7 years ago

Basically when you hit the target area, but the ball bounces back without actually collecting the target. I would use it most often when a scoop or lock is hit but the ball doesn't actually fall into the hole. ex) "If I try to collect the Mystery shot in Congo from the left flipper the ball will often brick out."

#32 7 years ago
    Quoted from lpeters82:

Basically when you hit the target area, but the ball bounces back without actually collecting the target. I would use it most often when a scoop or lock is hit but the ball doesn't actually fall into the hole. ex) "If I try to collect the Mystery shot in Congo from the left flipper the ball will often brick out."

fix your congo. That shot should NEVER brick out.

#33 7 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

fix your congo. That shot should NEVER brick out.

Really??? I always backhand it.

What would you call what happens at 1:48? Seems to happen several times in this game. I find the slower speed of the backhand shot to be much more forgiving.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-does-brickbricked-mean and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.