Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by HWYSTR455
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

aWms-4_(resized).JPG
    aWms-3_(resized).jpg
    aWms-2_(resized).jpg
    aWms-Mini-Stepper-1_(resized).jpg
    #1 7 years ago

Just curious because my Dealer's Choice has one and the schematic for my Super-Flite has it, but it's not actually present in the game.

#2 7 years ago

Alternates things like match numbers, lane changes, pop bumpers.

LTG : )

#3 7 years ago

And all this time I thought it was to keep the batteries from going dead.

#4 7 years ago

Hi Pahuffman
    on page-10 (ori-9) the ipdb-manual "Dealers Choice" shows such a rare Unit - it is needed when the pin has a 5 cent coin chute - but the operator wants 10 cents for one play.

Confusing - Williams used the word "Alternator" also for a "Switch mounted on a Stepper" - I know it sitting SOMETIMES on the Number-Match-Unit.

My JPG-1 is from a page in a Williams-Catalog: http://www.planetarypinball.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=BOOK :
    Z is the bakelite plate where the Number-Match is created. A is "place of the action". So B, C, D etc. - the coil pulls, armature is moved, a tooth hooks in, the axis with a 10-teeth-little-gear is turned one step (F hinders: turning backwards), G/H: a wiper on the printed circuit is stepped.

SOMETIMES there is also mounted: "I" (next to E) another gear with just ONE big tooth --- or there is mounted "J" another gear with 8 teeth -> the "follower-K" is moved upwards -> downwards -> upwards etc. -> the "Alternator-Switch L" is closed -> opened -> closed etc.

My JPG-2 shows such a stepper NOT having the Alternator-Switch. JPG-3 shows the No-Match-Unit in my "Space Mission" (looking at the unit from the other side). In my Unit the "K" rides NOT in the middle of "J" - it sits with a offset BUT it works -> K is moved -> Switchblade L is moved and closes to Switchblade M.

So the "Alternator-Switch L" lets a "Change-Relay" pull-in -> let go -> pull-in etc. And the Change-Relay let here: http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=2253&picno=8473 the "Special when lit" move from left to right to left etc.

We should talk about Alternator-UNIT (Coins) and Alternator-SWITCH. Greetings Rolf

aWms-Mini-Stepper-1_(resized).jpgaWms-Mini-Stepper-1_(resized).jpg

aWms-2_(resized).jpgaWms-2_(resized).jpg

aWms-3_(resized).jpgaWms-3_(resized).jpg

#5 7 years ago

That's always the match unit, Rolf. It becomes an alternator when a different cam and switch are added.

And damn you o-din, I saw the thread title and had that locked and loaded...

#6 7 years ago

My machines from the 40s and 50s have a generator instead.

#7 7 years ago

Thanks, everyone, for your responses. Even you, o-din!

#8 7 years ago

Yes on it being a device for have two nickels add up to ten cents per play.
    Kind of a useful thing if someone wants to have an EM set to take 50 cents per play.
    I had one from a Star Pool re-import. Wish I still had one as I just made one out of a score reel to do the same.

#9 7 years ago

Hi Pahuffman
    we have a discussion in Your topic. EMsInKC, I can use "mostly" instead of SOMETIMES (post-4) - look here: http://www.planetarypinball.com/reference/partsmanuals/WMS_Parts_1977-1978/index.html -> page 12: "10 step unit with alternator is Number C-7606", "10 step unit without alternator is Number C-7606-1", page-13: "12 step unit with alternator is Number C-7743", "12 step unit without alternator is Number C-7743-1".
    The Match-Unit may be hosting an Alternator (You should order C-7606 for a replacement) but well can be NOT hosting an alternator (C-7606-1).
    AND: I have never heard of an "Number-Match-Unit" having 12 steps (C-7743, C-7743-1).

The partsmanual page-67 shows the "Wiliams Alternator Unit for Italy", page-69 shows the "Williams Alternator Unit for domestic games with 5 cent coin chute".

In Bat Games used (page-94): "Williams Mix (Alternator) Unit, B-7238"
    In my Space Mission in the cabinet below the backbox, in the left corner: A Unit I do not know what it is for - an "Alternator Unit" ? or a spare part ? (The No-Match-Unit with the Alternator is mounted in the Backbox.) Greetings Rolf

aWms-4_(resized).JPGaWms-4_(resized).JPG

#10 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

And all this time I thought it was to keep the batteries from going dead.

You stole my line! We sure do think alike!

#11 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

My machines from the 40s and 50s have a generator instead.

Yes and they run off 6-volts.

#12 7 years ago
    Quoted from BenetBoy78:

Yes and they run off 6-volts.

Positive ground.

#13 7 years ago

So, does the "alternator" in the Super Flite mount in the back box also?

1 year later
    #15 6 years ago

Newbie here, working on a Sonic Super Straight, has the match unit with the alternator, and seems either the relay coil is weak/shorted, or the plate spring is weak/needs to be replaced. Trying to source the spring for starters, but both the relay coil and spring would be great. Anyone know where they can be had?

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-does-an-alternator-unit-do and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.