(Topic ID: 80365)

What do you want on your Led Zeppelin pin?

By Nevus

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 196 posts
  • 75 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by limelime20
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

FOTEBFD.JPG
    juicy melons.jpg
    zeppelin-reunion.jpg
    images.jpg
    zeptember (1).jpg
    zeptember.jpg
    Led_drawing2.jpg
    Zep-1-Side-1.jpg
    th-325.jpeg
    zeppin.jpg
    thCAYGE0GL.jpg
    Led Zeppelin Airplane.jpg
    LZ sign.jpg
    LedZepplinsongPics.jpg
    Hermit_led_zep_4.jpg
    led-zeppelincollage.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider billy16.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#96 10 years ago
    Quoted from meSz:

Maybe the backglass can depict the names of those musicians that Zeppelin "borrowed" music and lyrics from?

Nice post. Every so often I'll read somewhere about how Zeppelin was "the most original group ever". Oh boy, so far from the truth (the band was fantastic--just not original). Page was very adept at (pick one or more) stealing, borrowing, appropriating, re-arranging music created by others and turning it into an "original" composition. Page had an ear for a great tune, was an exceptional guitarist and was an absolute master of studio recording without question. Original--not so much.

My vote for what I want to see in the pin is a Mudshark...

#107 10 years ago
    Quoted from Pinfidel:

Led Zep is the GREATEST rock group of all time! There's not even a close second

I'd probably vote for Cream or the JH Experience, but a good argument could be made for Led Zep. The biggest knock against them was they broke no new ground (even so they certainly were the best rock band of the 70's). Cream introduced/perfected the free-form improvisational rock power trio and laid the groundwork for all those who came after. Hendrix was revolutionary, earth shattering, and never matched.

#112 10 years ago

You make good points, Pinfidel, and music appreciation is mostly based on the listener's opinion--lots of great bands out there. I wouldn't put too much money on Phil, as Hendrix was so humble he thought almost everyone was the better guitarist. Two that immediately come to mind are Billy Gibbons and Terry Kath. Very good to great guitarists, but not in his league--nobody is--although some will make an argument for Jeff Beck...

#123 10 years ago
    Quoted from usandthem:

Hendrix was very flattering toward a lot of guitarists. He also said that Terry Kath of Chicago was better than him as well as "Young" Billy Gibbons.

Hmm...I thought I had already made this observation--but then again, that's rock and roll!

#137 10 years ago
    Quoted from Pinfidel:

Good one! However, that is too awesome a song to only here a quick clip of on a tilt.
    Picture this...This new group call Led Zeppelin comes on the scene. You think, cool. You and a friend head out to the record store and buy their first album release. Put it on and crank it up and the first thing you hear is...Duhn Duhn...Duhn Duhn......Duhn Duhn. I mean WOW!!!!!! You gotta be BLOWN away and SUCKED in right there! What a first song on your debut album! You Kiddin' me!!!???

I think that is the best/most powerful opening cut on any album I've ever heard. I'd suspect Page had something to do with the order of the songs on the album.

#152 10 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

For those that are calling Zep a rip-off band, they never denied being strongly influenced by Robert Johnson, Muddy Waters, etc. They were just one of the first. All rock and roll is stolen one way or another. Just think how many times Led Zeppelin has been borrowed from.

Not one of the first, they just did it best. The Yardbirds, Spencer Davis Group, Manfred Mann, Small Faces, Fleetwood Mac, Cream, Stones, Animals, etc. came before LZ playing American Blues straight ahead or rocked-up. Everyone borrowed riffs and ideas from their influences--still do. The big difference with Zeppelin--they blatantly ripped off existing tunes by bending around the music and/or slightly (or not so slightly) altering the lyrics. Not cool to claim these were then "original" compositions. It took a lawsuit or three years later to assign the writing credits to where they rightfully belonged. Others for whatever reason did not pursue legal action. Page was a master at putting together a great "new" song using other artists work. His work as a producer and session musician also gave him exposure to innumerable songs. Listen to the last recordings or live bootlegs of the Yardbirds with Page on guitar--you will hear the birth of Led Zeppelin, who did some of the same tunes as Page did with the Yardbirds (only now they were "Page" creations). Page was brilliant.

#155 10 years ago
    Quoted from jar155:

But yeah, if you want to talk about "originals," you basically have to throw out all the white man rocker bands and credit the originators of the genre, which were mostly African-American blues artists. Of course, a lot of that was product of influence from swing and jazz from an era earlier.

Years ago I was discussing music evolution with a friend of mine and conceded your point that rock was just a spin off of African/Gospel/Blues music. My buddy, rather than accept this as fact told me he was not so sure his people could take all the credit. He told me to dig back into Hill and Appalachian music and I would hear some of the same music patterns and rhythms. No way those two groups ever intersected--perhaps an interesting root of the rock tree...

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider billy16.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-do-you-want-on-your-led-zeppelin-pin?tu=billy16 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.