(Topic ID: 80365)

What do you want on your Led Zeppelin pin?

By Nevus

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 196 posts
  • 75 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by limelime20
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 18 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

FOTEBFD.JPG
    juicy melons.jpg
    zeppelin-reunion.jpg
    images.jpg
    zeptember (1).jpg
    zeptember.jpg
    Led_drawing2.jpg
    Zep-1-Side-1.jpg
    th-325.jpeg
    zeppin.jpg
    thCAYGE0GL.jpg
    Led Zeppelin Airplane.jpg
    LZ sign.jpg
    LedZepplinsongPics.jpg
    Hermit_led_zep_4.jpg
    led-zeppelincollage.jpg

There are 196 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.
    #151 5 years ago
    Quoted from Pinfidel:

Hey, I don't know about anyone else, but the last thing I want to have happen when playing a musical group based theme is to get tired of the music. I've said in other threads that I get sick of even listen to the songs on my I-Pod and there's over 2500 songs on that. To keep hearing one groups songs over and over again may get tiring after a while. How do you guys feel and what do you think about that?

I'm not even an AC/DC fan (don't own any of their music), but I've never tired of the music on the AC/DC pin after hundreds and hundreds of plays. There's so much else going on that it's not much of a concern. It's kind of like how you generally don't get sick of the regular background music in other games.

#152 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

For those that are calling Zep a rip-off band, they never denied being strongly influenced by Robert Johnson, Muddy Waters, etc. They were just one of the first. All rock and roll is stolen one way or another. Just think how many times Led Zeppelin has been borrowed from.

Not one of the first, they just did it best. The Yardbirds, Spencer Davis Group, Manfred Mann, Small Faces, Fleetwood Mac, Cream, Stones, Animals, etc. came before LZ playing American Blues straight ahead or rocked-up. Everyone borrowed riffs and ideas from their influences--still do. The big difference with Zeppelin--they blatantly ripped off existing tunes by bending around the music and/or slightly (or not so slightly) altering the lyrics. Not cool to claim these were then "original" compositions. It took a lawsuit or three years later to assign the writing credits to where they rightfully belonged. Others for whatever reason did not pursue legal action. Page was a master at putting together a great "new" song using other artists work. His work as a producer and session musician also gave him exposure to innumerable songs. Listen to the last recordings or live bootlegs of the Yardbirds with Page on guitar--you will hear the birth of Led Zeppelin, who did some of the same tunes as Page did with the Yardbirds (only now they were "Page" creations). Page was brilliant.

#153 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

They were a total rip off.

Anyone who has the orig vinyl can see that they credited the songs to Page/Plant.

I still do. It looks like they also tried to take credit for inventing the "wheel".

th-325.jpeg

#154 5 years ago
    Quoted from Billy16:

Not one of the first, they just did it best. The Yardbirds, Spencer Davis Group, Manfred Mann, Small Faces, Fleetwood Mac, Cream, Stones, Animals, etc. came before LZ playing American Blues straight ahead or rocked-up. Everyone borrowed riffs and ideas from their influences--still do. The big difference with Zeppelin--they blatantly ripped off existing tunes by bending around the music and/or slightly (or not so slightly) altering the lyrics. Not cool to claim these were then "original" compositions. It took a lawsuit or three years later to assign the writing credits to where they rightfully belonged. Others for whatever reason did not pursue legal action. Page was a master at putting together a great "new" song using other artists work. His work as a producer and session musician also gave him exposure to innumerable songs. Listen to the last recordings or live bootlegs of the Yardbirds with Page on guitar--you will hear the birth of Led Zeppelin, who did some of the same tunes as Page did with the Yardbirds (only now they were "Page" creations). Page was brilliant.

This is an argument that comes up quite often with Zeppelin, but if you read the number of disputed songs, it's fairly small in comparison to their overall library. Riffs and lyrical lines get repeated a lot throughout musical history.

But yeah, if you want to talk about "originals," you basically have to throw out all the white man rocker bands and credit the originators of the genre, which were mostly African-American blues artists. Of course, a lot of that was product of influence from swing and jazz from an era earlier.

If you want to see a good example of a "borrowed or copied" riff, go look at comparison's between Joe Satriani's "If I Could Fly," Los Enanitos Verdes "Frances Limon," and Coldplay's "Viva la Vida." Heck, just about all of Tom Petty's riffs have ended up in other songs quite prominently as well.

#155 5 years ago
    Quoted from jar155:

But yeah, if you want to talk about "originals," you basically have to throw out all the white man rocker bands and credit the originators of the genre, which were mostly African-American blues artists. Of course, a lot of that was product of influence from swing and jazz from an era earlier.

Years ago I was discussing music evolution with a friend of mine and conceded your point that rock was just a spin off of African/Gospel/Blues music. My buddy, rather than accept this as fact told me he was not so sure his people could take all the credit. He told me to dig back into Hill and Appalachian music and I would hear some of the same music patterns and rhythms. No way those two groups ever intersected--perhaps an interesting root of the rock tree...

#156 5 years ago

Oh yeah, all of Quite Riot's hits were from Slade.

Much better drumming and bass lines on the Slade originals:

#157 5 years ago

On Led Zepellin 1, they did give writing credits to Willie Dixon on both You Shook me and I Can't Quit You Baby.

Quoted from vid1900:

I wonder how much of a kickback they earned when all of their hits became hits again. Quiot Riot played at my high school when Randy Rhoads was still playing guitar with them. He was pretty good.

#158 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

On Led Zepellin 1, they did give writing credits to Willie Dixon on both You Shook me and I Can't Quit You Baby.

Probably after they got sued, I've only seen that on latter pressings or CDs

Zep-1-Side-1.jpg
    #159 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Quiot Riot played at my high school when Randy Rhoads was still playing guitar with them. He was pretty good.

Yeah, Rhoads was a great guitarist.

On the Riot albums it seems like he was just on the brink of letting things really rip.

#160 5 years ago

Oh, wow. I didn't realize that Joe Satriani sued Coldplay over "Viva la Vida" taking the riff from "If I Could Fly." Pretty silly, given that "Frances Limon" was first of the three, and Joe either independently came up with the same riff or he copied Los Enanitos Verdes straight up and then sued over a riff he didn't even create.

#161 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Probably after they got sued, I've only seen that on latter pressings or CDs

I'll double check my copy when I get home. I've had it since the mid 70s. I know they also list the credits on the back of the cover. It does say tradd. arr. on that one. I remember seeing that on some of my parents big band albums. Sort of a way of saying it was written by someone else.

#162 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I'll double check my copy when I get home. I've had it since the mid 70s.

Mid 70s they were already sued, so it will say Dixion.

Quoted from o-din:

It does say tradd. arr. on that one.

Latter pressings say (Bredon / Page / Plant), so even Robbert wanted some royalties on that one, lol.

#163 5 years ago

Here is the best photo I could find of the 7 foot tall drawing I did when I was 19. It was done in all charcoal and pencil, with some black-light chalk at the lantern, then cleared with a spray fixative. It was done in my brother in-laws basement barcave. I wish we had cut the drywall out when they moved. The photo does not do it justice. Its hard to show the detail in the robe from the crap photo. Oh well, another life ago anyway.

Led_drawing2.jpg

#164 5 years ago

A complete soundtrack. And fun modes and PF layout.

1 week later
    #165 5 years ago
    Quoted from Basil:

none of you guys have a LZ pin?
    I can't believe only on post about this cool looking custom game,Basil did a great job on this.

zeppin.jpg 225 KB

Thanks for posting the pic.

#166 5 years ago

Wifi with a link to http://www.ledzeppelin.com/

Weekly high scores get swag from the store and monthly high scores get signed swag!

2 weeks later
    #167 5 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Well, there you go...since you don't want to buy new machines anyway - it's strange that you'd have any opinion one way or another on new themes. Let those who want to buy new games get themes they enjoy.

hey hey mamma see the way you move

#168 5 years ago

And she's buying a stairway to heaven....

#169 5 years ago

I want Jimi Hendrix on my Led Zep pin.

#170 5 years ago

Pen: I can't stand zeppelin but your charcoal drawing was the BOMB. really sweet work. bet it was a sight to behold in person!

#171 5 years ago

Lot's of guitar talk. All of the original great guitarists were american blues musicians. Muddy Waters, John Lee Hooker, Buddy Guy, T-Bone Walker. They inspired all of the british rock bands during the 1962 American Folk Blues Festival. Led Zeppelin is the greatest rock band.

#172 5 years ago

I want this pin to come out 2015 or 2016 I can't buy this year

#173 5 years ago

I want it to say made in 2014.

#174 5 years ago

Some type of Stairway to Heaven ramp

#175 5 years ago

Vodka Vomit Multiball

3 months later
    #176 5 years ago

How about a "Destroy Hotel Room" mode and You would have to include "TV sets" flying from the hotels windows. Could use the songs "sick again" or " the wanton song" both from the Physical Graffiti album. Great theme would love a LZ Pin to be made...

#177 5 years ago

I'd like to see Traveling Riverside Blues in there somewhere. Great tune.

#178 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Much better drumming and bass lines on the Slade originals:
    » YouTube video
    » YouTube video
    » YouTube video

Did not know this and I agree that Slade version is better. Don't understand how this could have been,but that's
    Rock n Roll I guess. Hopefully Slade profited with QR success,but often bands sell their rights too.
    Just glad these were done after Randy Rhoads left the band as he was an original in everything he did with Ozzy and will forever remain an Immortal guitar legend.

2 months later
    #179 5 years ago

Happy Zeptember everyone!

The greatest month in the history of forever.

Led Zeppelin + September = ZEPTEMBER!!

Led Zeppelin is to be played every moment of every day during Zeptember.
    Because it's Zeptember!

zeptember.jpg zeptember (1).jpg images.jpg
    #180 5 years ago

Sounds awesome.
    Seems like our hopes may be dashed, though.. the way everyone seems so confident in KISS or IM...

#181 5 years ago

Zeppelin is a dream pin! Please let it happen it would be an instant buy!

#182 5 years ago

I would like the songs to mean something, like in ACDC. I think that is one of the reasons ACDC has so much staying power! What a great game. (Tho, I think MET is creeping up on it as MET is getting better and better.)

#183 5 years ago

Jimi Hendrix pin!

#185 5 years ago

Pro translite.

zeppelin-reunion.jpg

#186 5 years ago

Interestingly I've seen two commercials lately featuring Zep songs (one was a Dior commercial...can't remember the other).

Maybe only Zeptember - but again, if they are loosening up on licensing it might be a major hurtle toward a Zep Pin. I'm already envisioning zoso drop targets, a burning zeppelin topper, stairway ramp, etc

#187 5 years ago
    Quoted from wizzardz:

Interestingly I've seen two commercials lately featuring Zep songs (one was a Dior commercial...can't remember the other).
    Maybe only Zeptember - but again, if they are loosening up on licensing it might be a major hurtle toward a Zep Pin. I'm already envisioning zoso drop targets, a burning zeppelin topper, stairway ramp, etc

The new DESTINY game (09/09/14) TV ad features Zep's Immigrant's Song..Wow!

#188 5 years ago

Did anyone here have the chance to make it to the Hard Rock Park in SC in it's short life span and get a chance to ride the Led Zeppelin roller coaster called "The Ride?"
    Amazing listening to Whole Lotta Love drum intro timed at the peak of the first hill climb on Bose speakers in each car!
    Miss that place!

#189 5 years ago
    Quoted from CUJO:

Did anyone here have the chance to make it to the Hard Rock Park in SC in it's short life span and get a chance to ride the Led Zeppelin roller coaster called "The Ride?"

No, but I saw them live at the Forum back in '77.

That coaster looked like an awesome ride. Too bad the park failed.

4 months later
    #191 4 years ago

How about a ball save challenge feature (similar to TOTO on WOZ) with For Your Life playing?

#192 4 years ago

I guess I'll have to spell it out. Dirty Donny just posted an awesome painting of Jimmy Page. Is it too much to hope that he's working with Stern on a Led Zep pin?

#193 4 years ago

I would like Madison Ivy on one, please and thank you!

1 week later
    #194 4 years ago

Imagine if you will....

#195 4 years ago

More-----

#196 4 years ago

FOTEBFD.JPG
    Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 35.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    3D MODS
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 14.95
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Plastics
    Pinball Haus
    $ 29.95
    $ 430.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    MI Pinball Refinery
    $ 14.95
    $ 79.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 55.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 6.00
    Electronics
    German-Pinball-Modular
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Flashinstinct
    $ 175.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 68.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 14.50
    Electronics
    PinballElectronics.com
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 244.99
    $ 85.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 4.99
    Playfield - Plastics
    ULEKstore
    There are 196 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside