(Topic ID: 204384)

What do you use to protect your pins in transport?

By Grayman_EM

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 34 posts
  • 22 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 days ago by ForceFlow
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

CEBA73E2-A56E-4998-869D-750033CC6FC5 (resized).jpeg
    0171DCED-E087-4907-A95C-D722364EB218 (resized).jpeg
    D290151D-9711-4BC0-974D-0AC539BFD409 (resized).jpeg
    Leg Off (resized).JPG
    EDE60693-411C-4A6E-B378-C536295FD119 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    20171204_090104 (resized).jpg

#1 3 years ago

OK, I really have not seen anything of protecting you pins in travel when you are picking them up. I have several carpet remnants that could use and even cut down if needed. The are about 3 feet wide and 8-10 long. Do you it's a good way to go if I place them ok or attach them with tape. (Not on the paint of course)

#2 3 years ago

Get a roll of the 18" shrink wrap and blankets or foam...

20171204_090104 (resized).jpg

#3 3 years ago

#4 3 years ago

Stretch wrap the game (starboxes.com), cover it in blankets (harbor freight), protect the sides with cardboard (home depot), and for games with a folding backbox, pool noodles (dollar stores have them in the warmer months, so stock up) or pipe insulation (lowes in the winter months).

https://www.starboxes.com/stretch-wrap/blown-stretch-wrap/18-x-1500-x-80-4-rls-cs-hand-wrap-blown

https://www.harborfreight.com/72-inch-x-80-inch-movers-blanket-66537.html
    https://www.harborfreight.com/40-inch-x-72-inch-movers-blanket-47262.html

Small boxes to protect the bottom of the game when standing up on end and to help it slide around easier:
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/The-Home-Depot-16-in-L-x-12-in-W-x-12-in-D-Small-Box-1001004/202029361

Medium boxes laying flat to slide the game into the vehicle
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/The-Home-Depot-18-in-L-x-18-in-W-x-16-in-D-Medium-Box-1001005/202029360

Large boxes folded to protect sides of the game:
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/The-Home-Depot-18-in-L-x-18-in-W-x-24-in-D-Large-Box-1001006/202029359

#5 3 years ago

I use Pinball armor it covers the whole game.

#6 3 years ago

I just use packing blankets. Put the game in the Suburban and wrap with 2 or 3 and slide the game to one side. Never had an issue.

#7 3 years ago

harbor freight moving blankets then wrap in plastic, you'll be good. moved at least 60 like that, never a problem.

#9 3 years ago

Softopper to protect it from the elements and built a bracket out of 2x8s to keep it from sliding around.

EDE60693-411C-4A6E-B378-C536295FD119 (resized).jpeg

#10 3 years ago

I use moving blankets to cover then plastic wrap to keep in place.

#11 3 years ago

Remove the balls first. Then I use cardboard or a moving blanked between the folded down head and the rails. Then I rachet strap the head to the game with cardboard to protect the corners. Then lay in my truck with a moving blanket or two over the game and strap it down to the truck bed so it doesn't move. If I'm prepping a bunch of games to go to a show, I'll also remove the power cords and wrap in plastic.

#12 3 years ago

Depends on the game.

Remove balls, and any loose items in cabinet. Put carboard between the head and cabinet, lay down head (or remove head on older games). Use a ratchet strap and strap head to body. Then remove legs, and drop on game's back. If game is already marked up a bit... I don't even wrap it. If legs are powdercoated, I wrap them in a moving blanket so each leg doesn't touch the other.. and secure with shrink wrap. If not, just put in a stack, and wrap in some shrink wrap.

If a game is a pristine example... additionally then I put cardboard pieces where the ratchet strap meets corners. Maybe wrap the head with blankets before laying it down. Wrap the game up and down with shrink wrap to prevent scuffs. If it's a Stern with no real feet on the back, I also ensure I don't drag the game's back on rough or uneven surfaces (I make a cardboard tray to sit the game in).

I don't like wrapping the game in blankets because unless you go full mummy mode... it usually makes the game harder to carry/grasp securely.

So stock up
    - wide roll of shrink wrap
    - handful of ratchet straps
    - cardboard square about the size of the head
    - cardboard squares to use as corners
    - Tools to break game down or not
    - Blankets optional

Honestly you don't have to worry much about games getting damaged in transit except for other things hitting them. They don't take much to secure in place. The damage will come when handling the game... moving through doors, carrying, pulling off the cart, dragging on the ground, etc. The wrapping with shrink is to help keep you from scuffing it by letting things fall on it, rub against, or hit while moving past things.

#13 3 years ago
    Quoted from RWH:

I use moving blankets to cover then plastic wrap to keep in place.

Ditto.

#14 3 years ago

Just plastic wrap.

#15 3 years ago

.38 in the glovebox here

#16 3 years ago
    Quoted from WyseGuy:

.38 in the glovebox here

Wish I were closer.

#17 3 years ago

1) Moving blankets
    2) Plywood
    3) Cardboard
    4) Furniture angle corners
    5) Stretch wrap
    6) Ratchet straps
    7) Compression hard foam

Everything fits in a large knack box
    Plywood, not cardboard is a requirement for real backglasses, which "boxes" the backbox against impact. It also has importance for wedging against damage from legs or sides of vehicles, if required.

Removing a backglass from a backbox is not recommended or advised. There are no advantages.

#18 3 years ago
    Quoted from tonedef131:

Softopper to protect it from the elements and built a bracket out of 2x8s to keep it from sliding around.

Tundra or Tacoma? I have been looking at Tundras and found a rusting through the wheel well 2000. $1900.00 with 334,000 mile jkashani or WyseGuy may need to put a bullet in it to put it out of it's misery.

#19 3 years ago
    Quoted from Grayman_EM:

Tundra or Tacoma? I have been looking at Tundras and found a rusting through the wheel well 2000. $1900.00 with 334,000 mile jkashani or wyseguy may need to put a bullet in it to put it out of it's misery.

Taco. Tundras were too big for me, I don't do any towing or heavy hauling so I just wanted something small with a 4cyl that I could daily drive.

#20 3 years ago
    Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

Plywood, not cardboard is a requirement for real backglasses. It also has importance for wedging against damage from legs or sides of vehicles.

I always remove BG before I do anything else and take it with me.

#21 3 years ago

I don’t know if they still make it but pinball armor is freakin awesome. I dropped a game down some stairs in it and the game was still perfect.

#22 3 years ago
    Quoted from RWH:

I always remove BG before I do anything else and take it with me.

Not recommended. There are only a few backglasses for EM games this is a requirement based on manufacturer. There are no SS games fall into this requirement. Keep backglasses in the backbox during all transport periods. Plywood placed in FRONT of the backbox with stretch wrap after disassembly or folding, with a small piece of foam inbetween.

#23 3 years ago
    Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

Not recommended. There are only a few backglasses for EM games this is a requirement based on manufacturer. There are no SS games fall into this requirement. Keep backglasses in the backbox during all transport periods. Plywood placed in FRONT of the backbox with stretch wrap after disassembly or folding, with a small piece of foam inbetween.

To be honest I have never moved an EM so I wouldn't know. I've moved many SS pins and always take glass out.

#24 3 years ago

Watch your corners ! (would be nice if the factory installed these corner guards)

Leg Off (resized).JPG

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cabinet-restoration-vids-guide/page/9

Bud

#25 3 years ago

It depends for me. If someone is just coming to my home and loading it in vehicle, then we just use stretch film and cardboard for in between glass and back box. If it is STI/NAVL then after representative does inventory I wrap with stretch film all around, fold down back box on top of foam placed on top of glass. I then wrap with moving blankets and then final wrap around blankets with more stretch film like a cocoon. I ship with legs on-tightened good, and then use cardboard corner protectors for leg protection wrapped with stretch film. Never had an issue, wrap it like a mummy and it will arrive pristine.

#26 3 years ago

Moving blankets, hope and some luck

2 years later
    #27 9 months ago

I’m getting ready to move my pin for the first time for a trade. I have a stranger things machine bought brand new and I want to keep it scuff free for the move. So, do you all think if I stretch wrap the backbox while it’s folded down that it’ll be enough to keep it down? I plan on using lots of wrap for this part. Or should I use wrap and then a ratchet strap ?

#28 9 months ago

Yes, but make sure to put some padding between the backbox and the cabinet. A folded sheet of cardboard, pool noodle, or moving blanket would work.

I normally go around about 4 times with the stretch wrap to ensure that the backbox stays in place. A strap isn't necessary, and in fact would potentially cause some minor damage..

#29 9 months ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Yes, but make sure to put some padding between the backbox and the cabinet. A folded sheet of cardboard, pool noodle, or moving blanket would work.
    I normally go around about 4 times with the stretch wrap to ensure that the backbox stays in place. A strap isn't necessary, and in fact would potentially cause some minor damage..

How thick should the cardboard be?

#30 9 months ago
    Quoted from Trindawg:

How thick should the cardboard be?

2 sheets (a flattened box) should be fine.

#31 9 months ago

How’s this look?

0171DCED-E087-4907-A95C-D722364EB218 (resized).jpegCEBA73E2-A56E-4998-869D-750033CC6FC5 (resized).jpegD290151D-9711-4BC0-974D-0AC539BFD409 (resized).jpeg
    #32 9 months ago
    Quoted from Trindawg:

How’s this look?
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Like it's ready to move

9 months later
    #33 6 days ago

I'd like to resurrect this thread and see some step-by-step instructions with pictures, if possible, of your go-to methods for preparing pristine games for transport, not shipping, just normal transport. I'm facing a big 900+ mile move later this year and everytime I wrap one up with moving blankets plus shrink-wrap it ends up overly-bulky or I go to the other extreme and it's not protected well enough. I'll almost certainly be renting a truck and moving the games myself so they don't need to go on a pallet or anything like you'd do if using a shipping service.

#34 6 days ago
    Quoted from bobukcat:

I'd like to resurrect this thread and see some step-by-step instructions with pictures, if possible, of your go-to methods for preparing pristine games for transport, not shipping, just normal transport. I'm facing a big 900+ mile move later this year and everytime I wrap one up with moving blankets plus shrink-wrap it ends up overly-bulky or I go to the other extreme and it's not protected well enough. I'll almost certainly be renting a truck and moving the games myself so they don't need to go on a pallet or anything like you'd do if using a shipping service.

Shrink wrap in 4 layers, protect the corners & edges with a couple layers of packing tape, protect all sides with cardboard, another couple layers of plastic to help hold the cardboard, and then wrap in a large blanket. I think that should be enough.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside