(Topic ID: 63638)

What do you use to clean/polish Williams Coin Doors?

By sta98

10 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by PW79
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

I've got a Gulfstream and Triple Action that I'd like to clean/polish the coin doors. What works best? Any suggestions? Thanks.

#2 10 years ago

Flitz.

#3 10 years ago

Both my coin doors were pretty bad. I completely disassembled them first. There is an inner and outer part of the door. If I remember correctly the Williams inner door was held in place using bended tabs which I "unbent" in order to fix rust etc underneath.

Once the font door is simply a square of metal, I polished out the deep scratches with #2000 wet dry sandpaper, lightly working the full horizontal length of the door and not focusing on any particular problem area. Once it looked better then I followed up with LOTS of soft buffing with #0000 fresh steel wool... Again horizontally to keep with the "grain" of the door.
I follow up with a couple applications of Miniwax furniture paste wax to build up a nice shine and keep it from rusting.
I don't use steel wool unless the door is stripped of all parts else tiny bits of the material get somewhere and cause problems.

#4 10 years ago

What steve said, though I would take that one step further and start with more aggresive sand paper if there are really deep scratches. I work my way up thru the grades to 800-1000 always sanding with the original stainless 'grain' pattern. This also works for side rails (removed first) and lock down bars.

#5 10 years ago

Brasso and a rag.

#6 10 years ago

Thanks for the info everyone!

#7 10 years ago

I don't go nearly as far as Steve. Just use some automotive chrome polish and that's a huge improvement.

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from sta98:

I've got a Gulfstream and Triple Action that I'd like to clean/polish the coin doors. What works best? Any suggestions? Thanks.

Mothers Mag Polish paste. You can find it at most any autoparts store as well as Wal-Mart.

Mike O.

#9 10 years ago

My loins

GAP khakis to be exact

Happens when I play

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Salem, OR
$ 24.98
Hardware
Gameroom Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Pin Art

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-do-you-use-to-cleanpolish-williams-coin-doors and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.