(Topic ID: 84440)

What do you use to clean drop targets, etc., so as to not remove any ink?

By hoov

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 25 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by hoov
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 6 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image-79.jpg
    image-204.jpg
    image.jpg
    pg_rc.jpg
    20130104_131149.jpg
    20130104_142131.jpg

#1 5 years ago

Here's the three biggest things that are tough to clean without removing any ink:

Drop targets
    Aprons
    Score reels

I deal with Gottlieb em's so I'm not sure about the other manufacturers.

I've tried cleaning with different products over the years but you have to make one pass and not dwell or you'll lose ink. I've used dawn dishwashing soap and water, alcohol, Novus 2, Mothers cleaner-wax, etc.. I want something where I don't have to worry about how long I clean something and avoiding ink loss..

Is there a plastic polish available or anything else out there that cleans but does not remove ink?

What do you guys use that will clean and not remove any ink?

#3 5 years ago

Goop hand cleaner.

#4 5 years ago

Olive oil works to remove sticker residue. Not quick. I have removed old sticker residue from aprons (early solid state era) with NO loss of the original artwork.20130104_131149.jpg20130104_142131.jpg

#5 5 years ago

sixpak - how long of a soak would it take to remove the residue- never ever thought of olive oil....

#6 5 years ago

It has been a year + since I did it but something like an hour or two then rub with a rag and repeat as necessary.

#7 5 years ago
    Quoted from DirtFlipper:

Goop hand cleaner.

Dirt - thanks for the tip.

So you're saying I can apply goop and scrub away with a soft cotton rag and not worry at all about ink loss? If so, great. That's what I'm looking for.

#8 5 years ago
    Quoted from sixpakmopar:

Olive oil works to remove sticker residue. Not quick. I have removed old sticker residue from aprons (early solid state era) with NO loss of the original artwork.

Good to know - thanks.

#9 5 years ago

I use Goop to clean score reels, as per Dirt's recommendation to me, and I've found that it works well, but applying too much pressure can incur some light ink ghosting. I try to use gentle, controlled motions to remove filth gradually. If any ghosting occurs, a Q-tip can be used to remove it, manicuring lines back into sharp relief.

#10 5 years ago
    Quoted from hoov:

So you're saying I can apply goop and scrub away with a soft cotton rag and not worry at all about paint loss? If so, great. That's what I'm looking for.

No. Any mechanical action (like scrubbing with anything) will always have the potential to remove whatever is being rubbed. That would be true of even a dry soft cotton rag (especially on the plastic decagon score reels - those are the most sensitive). Fabric is too abrasive to use (even cotton).

I use an old soft toothbrush and just my fingers to spread and work the Goop around, letting it sit and do the work more than scrubbing. The toothbrush is mostly to get in the crevices and corners, and work the Goop off while rinsing.

That's for those plastic score reels. Credit wheels, the older metal score reels, and the apron, where the ink is baked on more, I still use Goop, but will also use a damp Magic Eraser to remove scuff marks and such (damp only with water, no chemicals).

Any ink can be removed if one is vigorous and persistent enough. The goal is to remove the layer of grime, and leave the ink alone, so there's still a balance. But my own experience is that one doesn't have to be nearly as careful using Goop (without using another abrasive, like a cloth).

Always best to try it on spare parts first, to get a feel for it and see how far you can push it though.

#11 5 years ago

And I use Goo Gone for stickers and glue residue. Usually is only an issue on aprons (where they often placed stickers).

#12 5 years ago

pg_rc.jpg

#13 5 years ago

I have mainly used Windex with good results.

#14 5 years ago
    Quoted from sixpakmopar:

Olive oil works to remove sticker residue. Not quick. I have removed old sticker residue from aprons (early solid state era) with NO loss of the original artwork.

20130104_142131.jpg 182 KB

20130104_131149.jpg 248 KB

wow, great tip... "not quick" is fine with results like that....

did you immerse the entire apron in olive oil? or just brush the oil on the area to be cleaned?

#15 5 years ago
    Quoted from hoov:

So you're saying I can apply goop and scrub away with a soft cotton rag and not worry at all about ink loss? If so, great. That's what I'm looking for.

i used df's goop/toothbrush method recently on score reels and a credit wheel, and got very nice results... bonus points for being easy too...

#16 5 years ago

Just pour a small amount where needed and spread it with your finger. If you look close at the picture you can still see where the sticker was because the blue has not faded there.

#17 5 years ago
    Quoted from DirtFlipper:

No. Any mechanical action (like scrubbing with anything) will always have the potential to remove whatever is being rubbed. That would be true of even a dry soft cotton rag (especially on the plastic decagon score reels - those are the most sensitive). Fabric is too abrasive to use (even cotton).
    I use an old soft toothbrush and just my fingers to spread and work the Goop around, letting it sit and do the work more than scrubbing. The toothbrush is mostly to get in the crevices and corners, and work the Goop off while rinsing.
    That's for those plastic score reels. Credit wheels, the older metal score reels, and the apron, where the ink is baked on more, I still use Goop, but will also use a damp Magic Eraser to remove scuff marks and such (damp only with water, no chemicals).
    Any ink can be removed if one is vigorous and persistent enough. The goal is to remove the layer of grime, and leave the ink alone, so there's still a balance. But my own experience is that one doesn't have to be nearly as careful using Goop (without using another abrasive, like a cloth).
    Always best to try it on spare parts first, to get a feel for it and see how far you can push it though.

Thanks dirt

#18 5 years ago

Cardboard reels, such as in united bowlers, i used plain old white bread. Did a pretty good job:image-79.jpgimage-204.jpg

image.jpg
    #19 5 years ago

centerflank,

Tell us more about this Pinguard Rubber Cleaner.

All I found out is it's good at cleaning rubber rings: http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=2651

#20 5 years ago
    Quoted from LongJohns:

I have mainly used Windex with good results.

Really? Windex will easily remove the ink from the '70's era pop bumpers, and will remove the fine webbing from the card tray and arch cover. I learned this many years ago by accident. Maybe Windex isn't as strong as it was back then, but I'd use it with caution on any painted surfaces.

#21 5 years ago

When cleaning up pops with delicate art, I will use a really mild natural cleaner like Seventh Gen. and spray just a drop or two on a Q-tip. I wear magnifying gear and only work on the blank plastic parts. Aprons can be just as unforgiving as JR points out. Reels are usually not as bad, though sometimes if prior cleaning was done with something too aggressive, the ink can also be very delicate. Small sections of paper towel with Novus 2, or the Q-tip technique if need be for that too. Go easy on the Pepsi.......

#22 5 years ago
    Quoted from hoov:

centerflank,

Tell us more about this Pinguard Rubber Cleaner.

Label says its non-flammable, non-toxic, 100% plant based.

Its a really nice product, cleans rubber fast&easy plus it doesnt dry it out.

I always wipe down all my targets with it but all my stuff is newer so maybe try it on a broken target first if you have one laying around.

#23 5 years ago
    Quoted from dsuperbee:

Cardboard reels, such as in united bowlers, i used plain old white bread.

This is a great tip. Ill have to try it out

--Jeff

#24 5 years ago
    Quoted from way2wyrd:

This is a great tip. Ill have to try it out
    --Jeff

Works wonders. Old RGP tip. Picks up most of the dirt and grime, with NO chance of liquid soaking in.

My gf thought I was crazy saving old bread, and even crazier when she saw what I was doing!

#25 5 years ago
    Quoted from stashyboy:

When cleaning up pops with delicate art, I will use a really mild natural cleaner like Seventh Gen. and spray just a drop or two on a Q-tip. I wear magnifying gear and only work on the blank plastic parts. Aprons can be just as unforgiving as JR points out. Reels are usually not as bad, though sometimes if prior cleaning was done with something too aggressive, the ink can also be very delicate. Small sections of paper towel with Novus 2, or the Q-tip technique if need be for that too. Go easy on the Pepsi.......

I need to start working more like you do - treat it like surgery )

Quoted from centerflank:

Label says its non-flammable, non-toxic, 100% plant based.
    Its a really nice product, cleans rubber fast&easy plus it doesnt dry it out.
    I always wipe down all my targets with it but all my stuff is newer so maybe try it on a broken target first if you have one laying around.

Thanks for the info.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 25.00
    Playfield - Protection
    ScottyMods
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 15.95
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 14.99
    Electronics
    PinballElectronics.com
    $ 89.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 235.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 11.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 8.50
    Lighting - Led
    Pinball Haus
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    Electronics
    Third Coast Pinball
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 78.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 95.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 48.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 40.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Pinball Forever
    $ 15.00
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Pinball Haus

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside