(Topic ID: 288)

What do you use to clean and wax your playfield?

By Pinhead76

14 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 14 years ago by Leigh
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 14 years ago

I have a Bally Old Chicago that needs some serious playfield cleaning and waxing. I'm trying to decide between using millwax or novus #2. Some places say not to use the novus #2 on the playfield itself, while some say it works great. Some people love millwax and others say it doesn't clean very well. Just wondering what you guys recommend. And again thanks for all your help!

#2 14 years ago

I've seen Novus 2 in action and it worked good on the piece's I used it on so far (my play field plastics). I think it depends on what kind of wax was used prior to your cleaning attempt. If a hard wax was used then you need a fairly aggressive/abrasive cleaner like Novus. if a light wax was used then Mill wax will probly do the trick. Hope this helps.

#3 14 years ago

Here's my step by step for clean, polish, and wax.

1. Get a rag and wipe down your machine first with Novus 1 or Simple Green.
2. Use Novus 2 to clean/polish. Repeat this step as necessary.
3. Use a hard wax (I use Turtle Wax paste) and apply a couple of coats.
4. Use some more Novus 1 to wipe down after waxing (not scrub, just wipe).

Novus 2 really is a do it all polish and cleaner, but it's always good to wipe down the machine first to remove loose dirt and dust.

#4 14 years ago

I can tell I've done a good wax job when the ball occasionally jumps up and smacks the glass from below

In between major waxings like mentioned above, I like using an auto detailing spray like Meguiar's.

My only "other" playfield is up to my wife to keep waxed

#5 14 years ago

Thanks for the help guys, and Brokedad, that's just too funny. I gotta remember that one!

#6 14 years ago

Brokedad, have you ever heard Buddy Hackett's joke on getting a wax job? hehehe

#7 14 years ago

I keep saying Plexus, this stuff is great for the playfield and and all the plastics, google it up and check it out........

#8 14 years ago

So I can just use Novus #2 only, and it will clean and wax? Or do I need to put a wax on after using the Novus? Thanks for the help guys!

#9 14 years ago

You should wax after using Novus 2. You don't have to, but it's highly recommended.

#10 14 years ago

Novus is a buffing compound that removes the old wax, you do need to rewax or your playing on the paint.

#11 14 years ago

OK, thanks for clearing that up for me guys, much appreciated!

#12 14 years ago

I just got into the cleaning and restoring thing and some people are probably going to hate me for this, but I just used plain 'ol pledge, to get the grime off, then wax on wax off with Novus 2. That's what I did.

#13 14 years ago

Leigh, I had a look at the Plexus product, looks good for all sorts of things including cars and guitars, so I think I'll get some to try. Where can you get it in Oz for a reasonable price?

#14 14 years ago

I get it from a marine supply shop, but it should be available from most outlets.
It is not cheap, around $33 Aus dollars for a 250g can.
Well worth it though Plugger.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-do-you-use-to-clean-and-wax-your-playfield and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.