(Topic ID: 119852)

What do YOU use for CLEANERS for Greasy EM Pinball Parts?

By jodini

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by jrpinball
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 9 years ago

I want this to be a free-for-all, all opinions go, what was your ACTUAL experience for cleaners and ALL the pros and cons! And lets assume the pinball machine is unplugged so we can get rid of the, "that is flammable" comments now!

I'll go first!

ALCOHOL!
    PROS: smells fine, and doesn't leave a residue.
    CONS: Takes some scrubbing and elbow grease!

CLR:
    PROS: Great for metal parts, jones plugs, metal screws...anything that has that nasty white power corrosion. WORKS FAST!
    CONS: Smells like crap and must wash it off immediately! IF it gets on the material on your wires, it can cause more corrosion, turn metal black.

W-D 40
    PROS: breaks up grease great! Stepper units especially!
    CONS: Must brush it on and wipe it clean. Don't want to spray it all over a machine or it will smell bad and stain the wood.

Break Cleaner:
    PROS: Works great and will actually spray off other cleaners. Won't stain wood and cleans off lots of dusty parts.
    CONS: Will leave white residue on metal, so must wipe off.

PB Blaster:
    PROS: reminds me of WD-40 - cleans off grease great - probably better than WD-40
    CONS: STINKY, STINKY, STINKY! Don't let it get anywhere on wood or fabric wires. Can eat away plastics.

I want to hear from these guys that have used Bleche-Wite and other cleaners.
    Now it's your turn!

#2 9 years ago

Mineral Spirits is a great degreaser. It's what I use. Sometimes if I run out of mineral spirits, I use lighter fluid instead.

#3 9 years ago

Mean Green. Rinse. Dry. Gets rid of WD-40, tobacco, and anything else people have used over the years.

#4 9 years ago

I like lighter fluid actually....also gets rid of stuff that "goo-gone" can't....adhesives and such.

FrankJ.....I've heard of people use that Mean Green. How the smell? Rinse with water, so I'm assuming you have to have it out of the machine? Good on metal parts of all kinds...plugs, plated parts. How about wood?

#5 9 years ago

I'm going through my whole machine since it had been spray-lubed and everything was grimy. Disassembling all the steppers and solenoids, degreasing, reassembling. I'm using alcohol on stuff that's not getting dunked like solenoids and contacts. Using Purple Power for all the stepper parts, plungers, etc. that are getting dunked. It's working great. Scrubbing with a cut-off paintbrush and rinsing with water. They come out like new. I used up the last of my Simple Green Automotive before buying the gallon of Purple Power. It was similar but I think I liked the Simple Green better than the Purple Power. Maybe not enough to justify the price. It doesn't affect the sticker labels on the units but it does take off some of the quality control stamps on the nylon wheels. Not too worried about that as mine's not a collector's piece, I'd rather have it all nice and clean. Also cleaning the board as I remove parts since everything has a film coating... A damp paper towel with barely a drop of Dawn works great.

#6 9 years ago
    Quoted from FrankJ:

Mean Green. Rinse. Dry. Gets rid of WD-40, tobacco, and anything else people have used over the years.

+ 1
    like my ex wife, it is cheap and easy to use.

Brian

#7 9 years ago
    Quoted from jodini:

I want this to be a free-for-all, all opinions go, what was your ACTUAL experience for cleaners and ALL the pros and cons! And lets assume the pinball machine is unplugged so we can get rid of the, "that is flammable" comments now!

Wait, are you talking about cleaning parts while they're still in the machine? if so, I'd bee leery about
    Spraying anything into / onto a machine.

As far as using alcohol, there's lots of grades of it that are anywhere from. Short of using denatured alcohol I've found that 91% isopropal (you can get this at Target) is good for cleaning off grease and oils from metal and unpainted plastic parts.

#8 9 years ago

Doing full tear downs, Naptha works great, Pros: easy to dab a little on a cloth or paper towel, evaporates at a good rate (not as fast as alcohol, but fast enough to move quickly). Can be purchased at box stores. Cons:leaves a residue, but that is easily wiped away, should wear gloves (nitrile), and ventilate if using more than a few drops at a time. Dirt, grease, other. If that doesn't work, I'll try something else, but works great on metal parts.

#9 9 years ago

For grimy or greasy parts, I predominantly use 91% isopropyl alcohol or Mean Green.

#10 9 years ago
    Quoted from jodini:

rankJ.....I've heard of people use that Mean Green. How the smell? Rinse with water, so I'm assuming you have to have it out of the machine? Good on metal parts of all kinds...plugs, plated parts. How about wood?

No smell - actually helps rid the machine of tobacco smell.

Take it out of the machine? I always go through every part of an EM. I pull the bottom board, take apart and clean every stepper. In the back box, I just disassemble a stepper, clean it, put it back together and go to the next one - I don't remove it from the game.

I use it for almost all surfaces - metal, wood, wiring, I clean most era's of playfield plastics with it. It removes the tar and nicotine and most of the yellowing (not all, some is age related).

For rinse, I just use a spray bottle of water. I don't drench it, but enough to wipe off the cleaner. I don't worry about getting 100% of the Mean Green. A little bit left is nothing compared to the decades of grease and grime I'm getting off. You can tell be feel if it's still sticky because of too much left on a part.

I use it to clean the wood too. It cuts through years of tobacco yellow.

That said, I've been doing this since the early 1980's. 90% (or more) of the machines have been sprayed with some sort of lube. I have learned that it is better to take your time, do it right, and have a trouble free game. Nothing worse than fixing a problem, playing a few games, another problem occurs, fix the problem, repeat.

Now, if I get a mint EM (rare), I use much more caution. There are not many of those around. So, this might sound extreme, but most EM's are pretty dirty and beat when they appear.

#11 9 years ago

Get a still and use "Heads" for degunking.
    Pros: 8-9 Ltrs of 40% ethanol for consumption.
    Cons: 8-9 Ltrs of 40% ethanol for consumption.
    Cheers

#12 9 years ago
    Quoted from stashyboy:

Doing full tear downs, Naptha works great, Pros: easy to dab a little on a cloth or paper towel, evaporates at a good rate (not as fast as alcohol, but fast enough to move quickly). Can be purchased at box stores. Cons:leaves a residue, but that is easily wiped away, should wear gloves (nitrile), and ventilate if using more than a few drops at a time. Dirt, grease, other. If that doesn't work, I'll try something else, but works great on metal parts.

Seems the topic is more broad than I discussed in my previous post. I do use several other cleaners, Mean Green for sure on many surfaces. On metal, nothing works better for grease,than Naptha IMO, followed by polishing with either Blue Magic, or Novus 3.

#13 9 years ago

For stepper units that are very junked up, I like to you some "Break Free" gun cleaner made by Winchester (you can get it from Walmart). Helps when you don't want to dissemble the unit but need it to be clean and lubed. Use sparingly though. Not sure where I got that recommendation, but the stuff works wonders.

#14 9 years ago

Depends on what it's made of, and the type of dirt. For heavy grease, as in the title of your posting, charcoal lighter fluid or paint thinner works good on metal parts. WD-40 is actually very good for removing light greasy gunk on stepper discs and other parts, but wipe away any excess with a clean cloth. I use Purple Power, Mean Green, Super Clean or similar products on plastic parts. An old toothbrush is invaluable for scrubbing away crud on small parts.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-do-you-use-for-cleaners-for-greasy-em-pinball-parts and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.