(Topic ID: 7990)

What do you think would be the highest earner on location?

By herbertbsharp

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 36 posts
  • 33 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by Fliptastic
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 12 years ago

I'm looking for a 'bang for the buck' earner on location. I have the opportunity to put a machine in a vintage record store. I was thinking of putting my HS in there. $$ for $$ what do you think will give my best ROI? I don't want to have to stop in for maintenance too much. Any suggestions?

#2 12 years ago

I would say get a solid gottlieb, replace the cpu/power supply with modern boards. I'd see if you can find a decent priced haunted house

#3 12 years ago

big bang bar befits bang/buck benefit

sorry

#4 12 years ago
    Quoted from oak_tree:

Big Bang Bar befits bang/buck benefit

hahhahahhahah

#5 12 years ago

Star Wars. Great theme that just about every 13-50 yr old boy/man can relate to

#6 12 years ago

I had a Taxi on location along with a JP. Taxi was more popular. Maybe the allure of the old SYS 11 games? Oh man, the 80's!

#7 12 years ago

Getaway, High Speed II. More appeal to casual players because it's a bit brighter and more inviting than High Speed. Very fun, holds interest and prompts repeat customers. Simple 5 (sort of six if you include lower entry to bumpers) shot layout doesn't scare away inexperienced players. Easy to understand rules for intermediate players who are at least good enough to read the little rule card. Fun theme. It has it all really. And it can be found in good condition for around $1250-$1400. Definitely bang for buck. Oh and did I forget to mention, the supercharger! A toy both stunningly cool and shockigly reliable!

#8 12 years ago

Got to lean towards anything with a theme that might fit the place. There's got to be a few. Um..... I'm thinking.....music anything really. Kiss for sure.

#9 12 years ago
    Quoted from DarthPinhead:

Star Wars. Great theme that just about every 13-50 yr old boy/man can relate to

+1, and Super mario bros. is also a good earner.

#10 12 years ago
    Quoted from herbertbsharp:

in a vintage record store

It's all about location - What do you have?

From your collection, I would say: LAH or SP would be bang-for-buck, but SM, TAF, and STTNG would be possibly better earnings, less bang for buck.
    Tommy, Kiss, Elvis would make sense for record store.

Realistically, gosh hate to say it, but a vintage record store probably won't have much traffic at all
    When was the last time you went to purchase vinyl?

#11 12 years ago

TFTC because that game just pisses you off the more and more you play it. I would turn off the realistic mode on DMD so you don't get complaints about the beheading animations. Most addictive game I've ever played.

#12 12 years ago

In a record store i'm sure a GnR would do decent.

#13 12 years ago

If you only have those 3, HS. STTNG might be a better earner initially but it's more musical and would probably annoy the staff more. (they play cool vinyl all day, right?) It all depends on how hipster/retro it is. If it's really hipster, tell them all HS is designed by Steve Ritchie "the best ever" and get buzz going. "People wear this down to the wood playfield, it's so popular."

#14 12 years ago

My op friend says that his Sopranos is his best earning machine. He even bought a second one because of it. And he has about twenty games on location, so if that says anything. Maybe not a bang for your buck machine, but a proven earner here in PDX.

#15 12 years ago

Doctor Who

Cheaper for a B/W DMD and the theme is currently experiencing a big revival. Not many pinheads are going to agree on this one, but if you want to get some interest from non-players, it will do it.

Just be sure to rebuild that time expander and you're good to go.

#16 12 years ago

I would imagine FG's earn very well if they are set up somewhere where you can hear all the quotes.

#17 12 years ago

Probably not for a vintage record store, but at a local restaurant that has a half dozen pins Shrek is the top earner. And from what I understand it's not close. What I know it has been up against - LOTR, BDK, JP, Star Wars (DE), Iron Man, IJ (Stern), RFM, SMB (he says Mario is a good earner as well), probably a bunch of others I don't know about/can't remember.

#18 12 years ago
    Quoted from jitneystand1:

What I know it has been up against - LOTR, BDK, JP, Star Wars (DE), Iron Man, IJ (Stern), RFM, SMB (he says Mario is a good earner as well),

WOW!!! I'm surprised LOTR doesn't make more than Shrek. I guess it's good for the kids and a great way to get them into pinball.

#19 12 years ago
    Quoted from herbertbsharp:

$$ for $$ what do you think will give my best ROI?

Since you own 3 pin's ,, LAH would be a Pleaser .. HS is Cool to.. Swap'em out every 3 week's

#20 12 years ago

Get a NGG, beginers like it, deep enough for more advanced players.

#21 12 years ago

VINTAGE RECORD STORE, makes me think of a clientele that enjoys old music: Rolling Stones, AC/DC, Elvis, G&R, Kiss .

Any pin is going to require lots of maintenance, Kiss probably more so than the newer tables. But a newer table might require a busier location than an old record store.

-

One idea would be to put a price tag on the game. Some fan might walk in and buy on impulse.

#22 12 years ago

Going to have to say Elvis here - second hand ones are starting to appear more frequently, it's the most likely to appeal and get played if they get regular customers visiting. Being somewhat newer than other music titles (aside from that terrible Stones game) it's less likely to break down too.

#24 12 years ago

TAF earns. And earns. And earns. That's why all the TAF's you see are well worn, and why they made so many of them. Easily my best earner.

Why? Everyone remembers it from the hay day of the 90's. It's easy to understand what you have to do. Not hard to start multiball's. And it earns because it is not forgiving, can be a drain monster, so people want one more chance at it. Sound is great, funny quotes.

Plus it's a solid game. Not many issues with mine so far.

I'd like to have multiples out on location, if I could find any more of them for sale local.

#25 12 years ago
    Quoted from smokedog:

TAF earns. And earns. And earns. That's why all the TAF's you see are well worn, and why they made so many of them. Easily my best earner.

Why? Everyone remembers it from the hay day of the 90's. It's easy to understand what you have to do. Not hard to start multiball's. And it earns because it is not forgiving, can be a drain monster, so people want one more chance at it. Sound is great, funny quotes.

Plus it's a solid game. Not many issues with mine so far.

I'd like to have multiples out on location, if I could find any more of them for sale local.

+1

Also FT as once a beginner hits the ramp, they want another go and plenty enough for good players.

#27 12 years ago

TAF has always been the highest earner. I still see it almost everywhere machines are. That is why there are +21,000 and given the numbers, there are not that many sales.

AFM is also a high earner. Both have the key elements on route - depth, but large easy targets that noobs can get interactive quick with big theatrical payoff.

#28 12 years ago
    Quoted from boogies:

Yesterday!

I would go with dirtrider on this one, 6's through system 11's are getting more and more popular with the younger players, plus it gives the older set some nostalgia too.

#29 12 years ago
    Quoted from NimblePin:

boogies said:

Yesterday!

Yup vinyl is making a comeback!

I'll go with TAF. It is a proven earner, and it always was.

#30 12 years ago

i saw a MM with a income of 64,000$ on its software..no joke.

i'd say MM?

#33 12 years ago

What ever it is, I think the most important thing is, that it is top condition, shining, bright illumination. Invite to play.

Make sure the staff don't mind real playing, outbursts and people comming in with the sole purpose of playing pinball. And make sure that players know this. Put up a board for all time high scores and best of the month with prizes. Don't be greedy with match and replay. Good luck.

PS. High Speed is a brilliant choice.

#34 12 years ago

Captain Fantastic?

#35 12 years ago
    Quoted from Fliptastic:

Captain Fantastic?

really? people want some dmd action these days

#36 12 years ago
    Quoted from Ballsofsteel:

really? people want some dmd action these days

Just for the "vintage record store" theme of this application. I thought it might appeal to the type of person shopping in a store like this.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-do-you-think-would-be-the-highest-earner-on-location and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.