(Topic ID: 238043)

What do you think of color DMD?

By snowy_owl

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“What do you think of color DMD?”

• Yes, I like it! 118 votes
      87%
    • No, I hate it! 2 votes
      1%
    • It's okay on some games... 15 votes
      11%

(135 votes)

#1 5 years ago

Sometimes I will walk into an arcade and see a couple machines with color DMD. While it's cool to have dot matrix in color and have a new effect for some games, I think there are some games where it really doesn't do it justice...or games where it does.
    Wondering what you think...

#2 5 years ago

I think it is the best mod for the money on the entire mod market. I have never seen a game and thought: "Yeah, monocolor orange or red was WAY better...."

#3 5 years ago

NPO said it best. Colordmd is awesome.

#4 5 years ago

If I had the funds, colordmd would be on every pin. Best mod there is. Once you go colordmd, you’ll never go back to orange dots

#5 5 years ago

Best bang for your buck, must have in my opinion.

#6 5 years ago

I hate mods. I love color dmd.

#7 5 years ago

Everyone of my DMD pins have color. I agree with everyone else, it’s one of the best mods.

For me it’s colored DMD, Invisiglass and sub woofer, those are my most important things to add.

#8 5 years ago
    Quoted from brett:

Everyone of my DMD pins have color. I agree with everyone else, it’s one of the best mods.
    For me it’s colored DMD, Invisiglass and sub woofer, those are my most important things to add.

Agree with all this also

#9 5 years ago

I have colordmd lcd in every game that supports it.

#10 5 years ago

Color DMD is awesome !

#11 5 years ago

It's one of the few mods that doesn't have a huge drop in resale value.

For some games, it really adds a lot. For other games, it's ok, and still others it doesn't always add much compared to what it costs.

If it wasn't $400, I would certainly buy more of them since I find the price tag a bit of a big pill to swallow.

But since you can effectively swap it around between games, you can always move it to a different game if you don't like the results in a particular game. Or, even resell it for close to retail price if you simply don't like it at all.

The last time a colordmd went up for sale in the marketplace, there was a bit of a feeding frenzy, lol

#12 5 years ago

Great product.

Great support.

LTG : )

#13 5 years ago

Once you see it, it's hard not to want it on your games.

You also can see detail in the dots that you couldn't see before in the sea of orange.

#14 5 years ago

Must have, especially for DMD pins that sit next to machines with backglass monitors.

#15 5 years ago

Best product for pinball mods there is.
    There not cheap, but also not cheap to make.
    Customer support is top notch.
    I have 10, i justify the price by buying one a year.

#16 5 years ago

I love color DMD. I have it in TSPP and LOTR, totally worth it!

#17 5 years ago

2 votes hate it??? What is there to hate besides price? Yes it’s expensive, but it’s well made and looks great.

#18 5 years ago

Love it in my RCT!

#19 5 years ago

I think the color integration is done really well. I'm happy these are being made along with some of the lighting upgrades. Makes the 90's games appear much newer. If we can get to the point where we can retrofit a display like the new monster bash into any of the dmd era games I think that would be a huge win.

#20 5 years ago

I'm in the minority, but I don't care for ColorDMD. Maybe I'm getting old now and don't like things to change but it reminds me of when Ted Turner was colorizing old black and white movies. It just didn't look right to me. I have no problem with an orange DMD.

There are almost no mods that I actually like. Don't like LED's, art blades, cabinet lighting, trinkets, etc.

The only mod I think I like is putting gumballs into the gumball machine on TZ. I can't think of any other mods that I like.

#21 5 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

The last time a colordmd went up for sale in the marketplace, there was a bit of a feeding frenzy, lol

I'll vouch for that. Nearly one year ago, I put 3 LCD ColorDMDs up at 325 a piece. All 3 were gone in 4 mins flat.

For those wondering, I swapped to LED ColorDMD, hence why I sold all my LCD versions.

#22 5 years ago

I think they are amazing, but too expensive. I won’t be buying them any time soon for my 3 DMD games.

#23 5 years ago

Great product, professionally packaged, easy install.

But. They're priced $150 too high considering the retail cost on the parts is under $100. Of course they have to amortize the cost to colorize each game and provide support, too.

They'd probably sell 10x as many with a $250 price. I won't be buying any more at $400.

#24 5 years ago
    Quoted from brett:

this.....

#25 5 years ago
    Quoted from Brijam:

the retail cost on the parts is under $100

#26 5 years ago

Color DMD and PDI make such an improvement in a pin I do not consider them as mods. They are something more, on a whole higher level.

#27 5 years ago

Like others stated - to me the best add-ons are Color DMD, PDI & Polk Sub. I get some stating the color DMD is expensive - it is at 4ish bills. However I am not going to question Randy's (I have only bought his product) business model or guess what it costs to make. It is a phenomenal product with great support and brings the animations to the next level. I have seen images I never saw with the orange dots. And just got MET and can't stand the red dots. I just can't unsee the red & orange dots so it is now a must upgrade - although I wait some for my fundage situation to be right - like trying to "win" one or part of one at my poker games.

#28 5 years ago

Great product ...Great service ...can't go back to orange dots ....

#29 5 years ago

ColorDMD is an instant upgrade and makes a pin to stand out in a crowd. It has elevated every game in which I have seen it used.

#30 5 years ago

If only they were in the 300-350 range. Only then would I buy the bullet. They do look badass

#31 5 years ago

Must have for me....I even have one waiting in the wings for my wof. At that point I'll be in full color.

#32 5 years ago

They really look great from what I've seen. I have 8 DMD games that I would love to have them for but price keeps me from buying. Still hoping to get one but then I would want them for all my games. Just too much to spend.

#33 5 years ago

It’s good

#34 5 years ago

Best mod out there.

I hear their support is great but they've never acknowledged any of my offers to work on NASCAR, never gotten a single response.

They had a quick turnaround on getting me a version of the WCS rom that works correctly in Buy-In mode but it's still not posted on their ROMs page.

#35 5 years ago

Color DMD are awesome.

#36 5 years ago

Essential. Only orange game I have left is BK2K, cuz it doesn’t have a DMD lol.

Dots XL 4 life! Never use smear mode!

#37 5 years ago

LOTR, my first pin in 12/2018, had a color DMD already installed, and I now cannot imagine owning a pin without a color DMD. When I'm at an arcade or bar and see single color DMDs, I think to myself "how quaint, but that would look soooooooo much better with a color DMD."

Ironically, my second pin was only sold with a color LCD, and it plays a large percentage of the video clips in black and white (yeah, yeah, yeah!).

#38 5 years ago

Best mod out there! Upgraded 4 Sterns and my ST very soon.

#39 5 years ago

Pinball Magic Capcom just announced!
    Best mod on market.

#40 5 years ago

Where? I don’t see the announcement thread on it.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-do-you-think-of-color-dmd?hl=jaytrem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.