(Topic ID: 248022)

What do you think are the main differences between JJP and Stern?

By JediPimp

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20190721_132646 (resized).jpg
3F5D17D5-7717-4AFB-B50E-90CF9B680765.gif
20190727_141011 (resized).jpg
tt.jpg
Unknown (resized).jpeg
There are 67 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 4 years ago

One company replaces damaged or imperfect playfields and the other doesn’t. I’ll stick with the one that takes care of their customer base.

#52 4 years ago
Quoted from Multiballmaniac1:

One company replaces damaged or imperfect playfields and the other doesn’t. I’ll stick with the one that takes care of their customer base.

Who wants to do a pf swap on JJPOTC, raise their hand

#53 4 years ago
Quoted from whthrs166:

Working on yes... Next... probably not (in the words of Rick) Darn it! I was really anticipating that one!

Does that open the door for BBBr next?

#54 4 years ago
Quoted from westofrome:

One offers real knockers and the other offers fake knockers.
One offers both standard and widebodies and one offers only standard bodies.
One consistently offers games with subways and under-playfield troughs, the other almost never does.
One offers both Italian and non-Italian bottoms, the other offers only Italian bottoms.
I'm glad JJP is around to counter the radical homogenization and defeaturing Stern has instituted since the 90s.

One take years to ship one does not as for Wonka the reason it came out quick is POTC took such a stupidly long time

One chip's one does not

One does a money grab on every game $12,500 one does not

#55 4 years ago

When will some people realize that both JJP and stern both are forced to be better by the others existence.

Does wonka ship on time and at 7500 without stern holding them to a fire? Probably not.

Does jurrasic park come out as full featured as it seems to be if jjp wasnt releasing games with more toys and features? Probably not.

We need them both, in addition to american and cgc. The more robust they all are the more we win. This fanboy stuff has gotta go.

#56 4 years ago
Quoted from Outlanes:

When will some people realize that both JJP and stern both are forced to be better by the others existence.
Does wonka ship on time and at 7500 without stern holding them to a fire? Probably not.
Does jurrasic park come out as full featured as it seems to be if jjp wasnt releasing games with more toys and features? Probably not.
We need them both, in addition to american and cgc. The more robust they all are the more we win. This fanboy stuff has gotta go.

Excellent comment.

#57 4 years ago

For the most part this thread has been civil that said post #4 was a bash Stern as was the post I quoted #46 post 40,50, and 51 were bash post that did not name the company. I defended Stern with a play on post #46 the first to bash JJP and people go now now let's stay civil folks that's BS its a day late and a dollar short

#58 4 years ago
Quoted from Outlanes:

That's probably all true. As far as being a fanboy goes, I'm a Bally/Williams guy for life.

#59 4 years ago

One company ships 3 pins in a year and the other takes 3 years to ship 1 game.

Kidding aside, I haven’t had much experience with JJP games. That is my fault however, as I never get out and play the newer games.

#60 4 years ago
Quoted from Outlanes:

And they have both been forced into competitive pricing as well.

#61 4 years ago

As an owner of both JJP and Stern games I feel the main different is the passion being poured into code on a consistent basis. JJP over delivers on code and goes the extra mile whereas Stern does not consistently. It's great Stern puts 3-5 titles out a year but it also means a majority of their games will never have the code depth (not just number of modes but also variety, quality of choreography, etc) that JJP games always have.

Build quality wise I say both are fairly even. JJP games often feel built like a tank as they are using higher quality wood for the cabinet and the entire head itself is wood versus the metal / wood combo Stern heads use.

Finally I'll say that JJP games up until Wonka have had far more in them compared to Stern games. JJP seems to be going away from the crazy loaded games starting with Wonka.

#62 4 years ago

What’s the difference you ask? About 100 lbs.

#63 4 years ago
Quoted from Outlanes:

Mine sit next to each other in harmony.

20190727_141011 (resized).jpg20190727_141011 (resized).jpg
#64 4 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

Mine sit next to each other in harmony.[quoted image]

And next to a DE too, nice!

#65 4 years ago
3F5D17D5-7717-4AFB-B50E-90CF9B680765.gif3F5D17D5-7717-4AFB-B50E-90CF9B680765.gif
#66 4 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

Mine sit next to each other in harmony.[quoted image]

Same!

20190721_132646 (resized).jpg20190721_132646 (resized).jpg
#67 4 years ago

Despite any objective analysis offered, it still boils down to personal preference.

Nobody can give a compelling armchair analysis to the person who is ultimately driving the vehicle, tasting the drink, or in this case buying a game, that one is better than the other. Whatever reasons are given, it is certain there are people who will list 180 degree counterarguments.

So to the OP: find the games you are interested in, look at them in person, lift the hood so to speak, play them, and you’ll have your answers

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
BomberMods

$ 39.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Chicago, IL
5,640 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Worcester, MA
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 85.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 39.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 299.99
Cabinet - Other
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 145.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 45.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

There are 67 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-do-you-think-are-the-main-differences-between-jjp-and-stern/page/2?hl=outlanes and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.