(Topic ID: 273253)

What do you think about timed competition as a code feature?

By UNCgump

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by EJS
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 1 year ago

In the time that I've been socially distancing I've been playing more Bally Williams pinball on my phone. I like that the league mode they have is timed, where you basically play a single ball with unlimited ball save for 5 minutes. Does this exist as a feature on any newer games? If not, is it something you'd like to see included? I personally find it an exciting way to play competition (at least on a phone). I think the programming would be fairly easy, and this could be a nice feature both for fun play and tournaments. No more 15 minute ball times! It would also be interesting to see how each machine's strategic approach would vary if you could vary times. Shorter times with video feed could make remote competition much more viable.

#2 1 year ago

I see pros and cons to this. I would propose sudden death at the end as we see in some existing games rather than say, okay, 15 minutes are up, you are done.

For tournament play I do like fast timed games. Not something where it takes 30 minutes to get through ball 1.

#3 1 year ago

I feel like this was added to ccc as a party mode, could be wrong

#4 1 year ago

From a programming standpoint, it seems like an easy, low cost add. So, why not add it? People can then make the choice to use it or not. Makes sense to me.

#5 1 year ago

From a programming standpoint, seems like an easy, low cost add. So, why not add it? People can then make the choice as to whether they want to use it or not. Makes sense to me.

#6 1 year ago

You could also do fastest to X points or other goals.

I like the idea of "party modes"

#7 1 year ago
    Quoted from UNCgump:

You could also do fastest to X points or other goals.
    I like the idea of "party modes"

I could see adding a simple flipper code while in attract mode could trigger a couple different options. For a party mode you could do as follows, and even have the times be adjustable in menu.

1 ball game
    Immediate multiball upon game start something similar to midnight madness.
    I would max 3 balls. Some games that empty their troughs can get excessive and can't really make shots.
    Ball saver is on for X number of minutes.
    When you are down to your last ball maybe get rewards with 2 and 3 way combos etc as commanded by a single lit shot.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside