7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 89 posts
  • 66 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Shoot_Again
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 6 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

pumpkin_throwing_up.jpg
    dog_throwing_up.jpg
    pumpkin_throwing_up.jpg
    guy_throwing_up.jpg
    girl_throwing_up.jpg
    49720-turtles-fucking.jpg

There are 89 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 7 years ago

Maybe they will be big over seas?

#52 7 years ago

Again, in case anybody missed it: this is a downsized Safecracker-sized game, minus all the mechs/toys and rule depth. And I bet the flippers will be 2" and not 3". Still want to shell out $3000 for it? Do you think *anybody* will?

#53 7 years ago

I bet Jack is falling off his chair laughing right now.

#54 7 years ago

I honestly thought the last thread about it was a joke, but then I saw it on Stern's website. I'm not a Stern hater at all, but there is no way that was a smart business model. I mean who's going to buy that? There are just so many better ways to spend $3000.

#55 7 years ago
    Quoted from TOK:

People won't buy garbage at a price point above about $200, and even a naive person knows how to use google. This is going to bomb. Stern will be lucky to unload them for $500.

You have to try new things to bring in new people. Regardless of what you think, it's an attempt at doing just that.

Will it work? Who knows - but if Stern can't find any new ways to get pinball back out to the masses, the future doesn't look so bright for pinball at all.

#56 7 years ago

The launch party will be at SS Billiards in Hopkins, MN. Right Lloyd?

#57 7 years ago

My concern is that they will pass the losses caused by this overpriced toy pinball machine onto the consumers of their real pinball machines. How many of us can they alienate by raising the prices even more without inceasing the features?

#58 7 years ago
    Quoted from mojozone:

Hey, it was invented in the US - keep your garbage over there...

#59 7 years ago
    Quoted from goatdan:

You have to try new things to bring in new people. Regardless of what you think, it's an attempt at doing just that.
    Will it work? Who knows - but if Stern can't find any new ways to get pinball back out to the masses, the future doesn't look so bright for pinball at all.

While I can certainly appreciate your optimism, I think I have an answer to your question of "Will it work?" And that answer is not "Who knows?" I do know and it's going to flop, flop, flop.

#60 7 years ago

Pinball people sure are grumpy....

#61 7 years ago

Stern think 3000 is a nice price for people that cant afford 5000? On what planet do they live?

As if 3000 is not alot of money for an entertainment machine. I think anybody who can spend 3000 on something like a pinballmachine can spend 5000 too if they want.

3000 for a machine like this has zero potential costumers. Only the few who have so much money it does not mather and a few that are not aware that a real machine is within their reach.

Its a waiste of money and time for stern and it is an insult for people like me.

#62 7 years ago
    Quoted from flipperfingers:

While I can certainly appreciate your optimism, I think I have an answer to your question of "Will it work?" And that answer is not "Who knows?" I do know and it's going to flop, flop, flop.

This...

If this hadn't been tried multple times in the past without success, then I could see us being a bit optimistic, possibly even excited.

But since this has been tried over and over again without success, what are we going to sit there and say maybe the umpteenth try is the charm?

Nobody is going to drop 3K on this who would not drop $5K on a real one (or much less if you can tolerate having a "used" pin... the horror the horror.

And making the argument that maybe people who don't want to tinker with PINs will appreciate buying this one hasn't seen the last million threads of NIB with issues. Do they have a secret crack QC team that will test this one as it comes off the line that they have kept under wraps (and completely unused)?

Can you imagine tech support telling the owner of a newly unboxed 3K toy to start checking fuses, unjunk flippers that come tanged in wires from the factory etc... I would just say here's a plan: take back your 3K toy. Thank you for wasting my time by sending me a broken piece of crap.

You can dismiss this as Stern hate, but I own two of their modern games and love them. I am just laying down the facts as I see them.

#63 7 years ago

< What do you think about the new "Home Version" Stern? >

This is what American families are saying;

girl_throwing_up.jpg guy_throwing_up.jpg dog_throwing_up.jpg pumpkin_throwing_up.jpg

Seriously though.....$3000.00 on Sale?

Ken

#64 7 years ago
    Quoted from BC_Gambit:

And making the argument that maybe people who don't want to tinker with PINs will appreciate buying this one hasn't seen the last million threads of NIB with issues. Do they have a secret crack QC team that will test this one as it comes off the line that they have kept under wraps (and completely unused)?

Have you seen the playfield? It is much, *much* less complex than a normal playfield. It's one level, and it seems like it really doesn't have that many switches and stuff that can go wrong.

Quoted from BC_Gambit:

You can dismiss this as Stern hate, but I own two of their modern games and love them. I am just laying down the facts as I see them.

That's fine. A few people at Stern think that I hate them for god-knows-why, so perhaps it is ironic that I am the only one defending them on this, but I really do see what they are going at here...

Clearly home pinball has become more important in the past 10 years. Stern can make more money if they can expand their market base, but doing so is difficult.

What I haven't talked about, but is I think just as important as the rest of this is that Stern signed an exclusive deal with Amazon with these. If Amazon promotes these heavily during the Christmas season, even if the people that see them go, "That looks bad, I'd rather have a real one!" it follows that their next thought might just be, "I wonder how much a new one would cost?" and maybe they'll get one of those instead, thus again expanding the market base.

It's a risk for sure, but there are lots of different ways for it to pay off. I'm impressed with Stern for taking the gamble, and I hope it does work out for them.

#65 7 years ago
    Quoted from goatdan:

Have you seen the playfield? It is much, *much* less complex than a normal playfield. It's one level, and it seems like it really doesn't have that many switches and stuff that can go wrong.

I have seen the playfield, but their recent QC leaves me with the impression someone is going to screw up something critical enough, often enough for this to leave a bad impression.

Pinheads have been pretty forgiving of this, how quiet do you think an averge well to do mom and pop is going to be about juniors big present being broken before he gets to play it?

I am not talking "small stuff" like a scratch on the cabinet... entire mechanisms falling off the playfield, flippers unusuable out of the box etc...

You are impressed they are taking this risk and attempting to enter this market, the majority of us are surprised/horrified.

Even I want to play it, it does look more creative than its big brother.

#66 7 years ago

I'd buy one for my son but it would have to considerably less than what they are asking.

#67 7 years ago

I really do believe there is a home market for a 3/4 sized pin. That being said...I think the cost is about $1500 to high and they could have put more thought into the design.

#68 7 years ago
    Quoted from DCFAN:

My concern is that they will pass the losses caused by this overpriced toy pinball machine onto the consumers of their real pinball machines. How many of us can they alienate by raising the prices even more without inceasing the features?

hey, wake up! Stern has been already passing on their fiscal shortcomings in the past couple of years, with LEs at prices *way* beyond their extra production costs and crippled/stripped-down Pro models that are increasing in price anyway. As long as there are suckers, they will take you for everything they can.

#69 7 years ago

Do they even pay anyone for market research, or is this everything they do just a shot from the hip?

The ONLY way to do this is to partner w/ Amazon. IE: They buy up most/all the units produced at a known return on investment. Then it's Amazon's problem when they sit unsold. And they will...

#70 7 years ago

I thought this was some kind of elaborate April fool's joke but then I remembered we are in October.

On amazon it says the actual mrp for this is 4k and it's on sale for 3k lol. I see what the logic is behind the idea for this, but the price point is no where close to where it needs to be. Even if they sold these for cost it would still be too high. For this to work it needs to be in the 1k range and even then how many would they really sell? I wonder how many of these they will need to sell just to break even?

I think stern is better off sticking to the ac-dc model. 500ish le models and then offer both premium and pro models for each game. As long as there is premium model as a choice they could skimp a little on the pro models to get the msrp down closer to 3500-4000 while still having enough quality to pass as a pin.

On a side note - I think there would be a lot of interest for an xmen premium (le model pf with a pro model cabinet).

#71 7 years ago

Don't forget, that's $2999 with $1000 off the $3999 recommended retail price.

I just noticed it only has 6 months parts warranty too - that's just not enough when you're charging a mega premium for a machine made mostly of plastic.

#72 7 years ago

I'm laughing my ass off at all the "Stern Is God" people after this craptacular ...thing... was released for public consumption. Your Gods have spoken. Now eat what they just gave unto you!
    $3,000? No thanks. I'll get a nice collector game (or possibly two) with that money that won't be broken down in year or two (to match the six-month warranty).
    But I will give them a point for figuring out how to dump all those old 13-segment LEDs that must have been sitting around for a LONG time. Real Classy.

#73 7 years ago

I hope they can find buyers and bring the price tag WAYYY down.

Does anyone besides me think this game might have better flow than the real TF?

#74 7 years ago

Don't blame Stern, blame Amazon. Stern is probably selling them FOB/FCA Melrose Park for $950.00 Amazon probably has an exclusive because of their mining software. I have already seen dozens of ads for this pin on my PC's already and all on non-pinball sites.

Why the complaint on a six month warranty? That's twice as long as the warranty on their commercial machines....

#75 7 years ago

I wish I had more hands....

#76 7 years ago

WTF was Stern thinking? Just plain stupid, unless they can make money doing it. Good luck!

#77 7 years ago

I hope they have it at the expo this year just so I can see it. I think the cost is high but I guess it depends on how it was built and how it plays. The backbox is the part that makes this look like a toy in my opinion.

#78 7 years ago

Sell a Stern Transformers Home Version and buy the new Datsun. They're both $3000.
    Howie

#79 7 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Don't blame Stern, blame Amazon.

That's pretty lame. Heck, this is a Stern machine which is being marketed under Stern's name and logo, not a 'private label' affair for Amazon. We really don't need to be apologists for Stern's routine bungles. Amazon doesn't give a rat's a** one way or the other because this is not going to make or break Amazon, but it looks as though it may do some serious damage to what's left of Stern's credibility.

As for the gentleman asking "What was Stern thinking?", I'd personally call it a bungled attempt at merchandising by a company which never has had to learn customer-oriented/progressive marketing. "Good luck", of course, Stern might be needing lots of it with this particular machine.

I wouldn't write off Stern for good prematurely though. Allow your imagination some freedom and speculate what Stern might be up to as we speak, with some very strong pinball talent joining the company recently (Dennis Nordman, Mark Weyna, Greg Freres). Remember this trio created the Scared Stiff for Midway, and worked on the maginificent WOZ for JJP. I can't help wondering just what they might be working on right now and how soon their work might be hitting the market. If I were Jack, I'd be getting those WOZ's to the customers sooner than later, if at all feasible, so that there would already be something in the market for comparative politics, if not comparative value. Not sanctioned or canonical, but this is legitimate reasoning, IMHO, no?

#80 7 years ago

As a pinball fan I would like nothing more than for Stern to stay in operation, stay in the black and continue to make pins. If a product like this helps the company then so be it, but the retail price is ridiculous in my opinion. I don't think anyone would pay more than $2000 for that toy.

#81 7 years ago

I have a feeling Stern will be blowing these out for cost in about a year or so.

#82 7 years ago

For $3000.00 it should be able to transform into a robot.

#83 7 years ago

It might be bloody awesome for all we know. Has anyone got any info on it at all? Should we just wait and see what they're doing for the money first?

Looks plops for the money mind although I am excited about the return of alphanumeric displays.

#84 7 years ago

Looks perfect for you, Chocky.

#85 7 years ago
    Quoted from chocky909:

I am excited about the return of alphanumeric displays

O.K., I like alpha displays. I really like early SS games.
    But.......
    We don't need any new ones. They are "vintage cool", not new in box cool.

This whole idea makes my head hurt.
    It's like the "etch-a-sketch" version of an Ipad.

#86 7 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

Looks perfect for you, Chocky.

Why do you say that or was that just a half arsed attempt at an insult?

#87 7 years ago
    Quoted from mojozone:

These will be HUGE in Belgium.

#88 7 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

When and where will the launch parties be ?
    LTG

They already had it at 12:15 pm on the 31st of May 1911.

#89 7 years ago
    Quoted from hlaj78:

Sell a Stern Transformers Home Version and buy the new Datsun. They're both $3000.
    Howie

Quote of the day

this price point is that of a Brand new car soon =-)

ROFL

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 9.99
    $ 154.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 6.00
    $ 499.99
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Great American Pinball
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    € 25.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    YOYOKOPTER MODS
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Medisinyl Mods
    $ 25.00
    $ 25.00
    Boards
    German-Pinball-Modular
    $ 99.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 16.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 14.00
    $ 27.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 89.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 199.99
    $ 89.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 149.00
    $ 209.99
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    There are 89 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside