(Topic ID: 26645)

What do you think about the new "Home Version" Stern

By justjoe

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pumpkin_throwing_up.jpg
    dog_throwing_up.jpg
    pumpkin_throwing_up.jpg
    guy_throwing_up.jpg
    girl_throwing_up.jpg
    49720-turtles-fucking.jpg
    There are 89 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 11 years ago

After looking at the pin Im not sure what to think. I know its not as good as the "real" pin but for those who cannot afford $5000+ it may be cool. I just wonder how the cabinet is made etc.. Will they be releasing more titles ( im sure it depends on sales )?

http://www.sternpinball.com/Games/transformers-pin.aspx

I just do not like the backbox, makes it look like a toy.

#2 11 years ago

I think there aren't enough threads about it.

#3 11 years ago

I would rather have nothing if I couldn't afford the real deal. I'd go to arcades or bars and/or play on my iPad.

People know what pinball machines look like, what stern is capable of and that red monstrosity is not a pinball machine. It is an expensive toy which you hit a metal ball around a self-assembled plastic box.

That said.. I wont buy one but I'll play it

#4 11 years ago
    Quoted from Blackjacker:

I think there aren't enough threads about it.

Just saw the thread below.... Not enough coffee yet...

#5 11 years ago

AND it's real expensive. I could see $500, but $3K? Nope.

#6 11 years ago
    Quoted from awarner:

$3K?!? You’ve got to be kidding me! I'd rather spend that cash on another used pin like a NGG, FH, STTNG, RFM, the list goes on and on...

#7 11 years ago
    Quoted from Scuba_Steve:

$3K?!? You’ve got to be kidding me! I'd rather spend that cash on another used pin like a NGG, FH, STTNG, WW, the list goes on and on...

I agree

#8 11 years ago

To me it looks disgusting... you could get a decent used full spec 'proper' pin for that money... you could even get 2 games which would each be a lot better than that one looks to me for that price!!

#9 11 years ago
    Quoted from awarner:

+1

#10 11 years ago

I can't wait to get this it will look awesome next to my tf le

#11 11 years ago

I think it needs more threads, I went thru 4 other threads and they WEREN'T about the home model! Granted, the subject said they weren't, and had no mention about them, but the site clearly needs way more threads about this.

#12 11 years ago

I won't be buying one, and will probably never see one. Who knows maybe it really is a legit machine that is fun, or maybe it's just a giant turd, like I said I'll probably never know.

#13 11 years ago

I think now we officially have more Transformers Zizzle LE threads then XMEN and AC/DC.

#14 11 years ago

I think the price is insane. I like the idea of having a pin thay would be affordable to build the hobby but don't see how someone could justify buying this game at their price point.

#15 11 years ago
    Quoted from BoJo:

I think now we officially have more Transformers Zizzle LE threads then XMEN and AC/DC.

Stern wanted buzzzzzzz.. they are getting it

#16 11 years ago

i got my pre order in yesterday. Waiting on my shipping date.

#17 11 years ago

I think it looks like a Fisher Price "toy".

#18 11 years ago

Most likely going to tank especially at that price. For 30% more you can get a pro version of any of the new Sterns.

#19 11 years ago

Any word on the LEs?

#20 11 years ago
    Quoted from indypinhead:

I think it looks like a Fisher Price "toy".

+1

Just looking at the legs in the high-res Stern pics scare me a bit.

Looks like they're secured with just what looks like little allen wrench screws?

#21 11 years ago

IKEA

some would say NSFW

#22 11 years ago
    Quoted from EmptyLogic:

» YouTube video

wtf. lol

#23 11 years ago

I think Stern has completely mis-read the pinball market... Like, so badly I wouldn't think a company that actually makes them as a business could goof it so bad.

#24 11 years ago
    Quoted from TOK:

I think Stern has completely mis-read the pinball market... Like, so badly I wouldn't think a company that actually makes them as a business could goof it so bad.

+1

#25 11 years ago
    Quoted from awarner:

For $500 I can pick up an EM or two. For $3k I could have a whole room full of pins.

/me shrugs shoulders... doesn't quite get the drive behind spending thousands of dollars on a pinball machine when there's still good machines out there at a far better price.

#26 11 years ago

For $500 I can pick up an EM or two. For $3k I could have a whole room full of pins.

/me shrugs shoulders... doesn't quite get the drive behind spending thousands of dollars on a pinball machine when there's still good machines out there at a far better price.

49720-turtles-fucking.jpg49720-turtles-fucking.jpg

#27 11 years ago

I think it looks fine. If it uses a real playfield, flippers, pop bumpers and everything else off a "regular" machine it should play fine as well.

Yeah the price is high, what does a populated playfield cost? 800$? + wiring harnesses, cheap cabinet, couple boards and power supply it should probably be 1500$ or so.

I am glad there are still attempts to make a cheap machine for people that just want to play pinball, and don't care about all the bling, clearcoated everything, coin door, translight, high end collector stuff etc.. This hobby really needs to get back to actual play versus all of the cosmetic/aesthetic stuff if it's going to have any chance of moving forward as a home product. And no that's not going to happen here.

#28 11 years ago
    Quoted from awarner:

Hell I would be willing to collect these at $1,000 price point but not a penny over.

#29 11 years ago

Moving to Stern

#30 11 years ago

Another reason Stern Sucks..........You don't think it cost's money to develop that $hit!!! Well it does and it costs a lot of money. Those retards are taking profit and burning it and then we have to listen to Gary talk about margins blah blah blah. Once again these fools are focusing on something other than their core market.

#31 11 years ago
    Quoted from EmptyLogic:

IKEA

some would say NSFW

LOL, i love this movie.

#32 11 years ago

When and where will the launch parties be ?

LTG

#33 11 years ago

Way over priced. $1000 would be more realistic.

Otherwise I'm spending my money on 80's & 90's pins.

#34 11 years ago

I think it would make a great bash toy.

#36 11 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

LTG

First one will be At the Toys 'R Us store on Milwaukee Avenue (Across from the Golf Mills Mall) in Niles, Illinois on October 13th.

#37 11 years ago

ha! that turtle picture was so huge on my computer, then my wife walked by and she was giving me a weird look, so thank you for that.

#38 11 years ago

Doesn't look like there's a DMD on it. It's alphanumeric!!! LOL

#39 11 years ago

Not for me, but I think it is great. The more pinball the better. The more money pinball generates for Stern the better. It's all good as long as they also keep pumping out epic games like ACDC LE. If selling these cheapo games helps bring more people into pinball then why bitch?

#40 11 years ago

Say kid what do you think of the new design by Stern pinball?

#41 11 years ago

This is a pinball machine for the masses, or an attempt for a pinball machine for the masses. The masses do NOT want something overly mechanically complex. They do not want to have to call a tech to come check out the game. They just want something simple that works.

These aren't people that would buy a $1500 DM or whatever. They'll get this because it will be a pinball machine that will just work, or hopefully will just work for them.

For them, it's great. Why not? The one problem though is that the other similar titles to this (Vacation America comes to mind) simply haven't made a dent in sales. I don't know if this will.

For Stern, the reward outweighs the risk as it is simply an extension of their customer base. If they get 1000 (or whatever) new people to buy a machine that would have never risked buying one with all the breakable parts before, they have a new market they can cater toward.

This isn't made for you and me. If you don't like it, as many clearly don't, just don't buy it. They'll end up seeing if the market is strong enough to sell enough of these and keep the line. If it fails, for what I assume is a minimal up front cost to try the experiment - as others have suggested, I'm guessing these could be sold for considerably less without losing much money - then they find out that they simply can't expand their market this way, and it's back to the drawing board.

Face it - the marketplace for high end LE pins has been pretty saturated by them lately, as witnessed by TFLEs still unsold and XMLEs selling for about what people paid for them. The market for a decent operator pin has been catered to by them. They are missing an entry point for people right now.

#42 11 years ago

In a word: Turd.

In another word: Ripoff.

OK, a third word: Lame.

Keep in mind, this thing is the size of a Safecracker game, with a small fraction of SC's mechs/ramps/features. And SPI is 'brilliant' enough to charge $3000 for this toy? Anyone who has ever played a real pin, especially those who has seen a real Transformers pin, will NOT want this "home unit"-without-a-market.

And does anyone know if the flippers are 2" instead of 3"? I think this is a real possibility (OK, I predict they are!) based on the shrunken playfield size. Interesting that you can't see the flippers at all on the Amazon product page.

Why oh why can't Stern just make a SINGLE model of each title, full-featured, with significant effort on putting in cool features and innovative design, and enough lead time to ship with finished software? People might actually buy the games because they are *good* instead of pre-ordering based on theme alone or perceived scarcity of the "LE"s. What a concept.

#43 11 years ago

Just think if you had a time machine you could go to 2003 and with an extra $500 you could get a NIB TSPP.

#44 11 years ago
    Quoted from Donnyman:

Just think if you had a Time Machine you could go to 2003 and with an extra $500 you could get a NIB TSPP.

that makes me sick

#45 11 years ago

I know I'm in the minority here, but I think it looks interesting. Price is high, yes. Layout is kind of Tron-like though. Inline drops look cool. Ramps look pretty good. Looks like the flow should be pretty smooth as well. I'll wait to rate it until I play it, and I WILL play it.
    Terry.

#46 11 years ago

Sorry no mr. yuck emoticon. No way to describe how it makes me feel.

#47 11 years ago

Not against it in concept, but as shown, it looks like it should have either Mattel or Hasbro's name on it. And it needs some real pinball legs, not what mounts like legs on an Ikea table.

#48 11 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

LTG

At your local Chuck E Cheese

#49 11 years ago
    Quoted from goatdan:

This is a pinball machine for the masses, or an attempt for a pinball machine for the masses. The masses do NOT want something overly mechanically complex. They do not want to have to call a tech to come check out the game. They just want something simple that works.
    These aren't people that would buy a $1500 DM or whatever. They'll get this because it will be a pinball machine that will just work, or hopefully will just work for them.
    For them, it's great. Why not? The one problem though is that the other similar titles to this (Vacation America comes to mind) simply haven't made a dent in sales. I don't know if this will.
    For Stern, the reward outweighs the risk as it is simply an extension of their customer base. If they get 1000 (or whatever) new people to buy a machine that would have never risked buying one with all the breakable parts before, they have a new market they can cater toward.
    This isn't made for you and me. If you don't like it, as many clearly don't, just don't buy it. They'll end up seeing if the market is strong enough to sell enough of these and keep the line. If it fails, for what I assume is a minimal up front cost to try the experiment - as others have suggested, I'm guessing these could be sold for considerably less without losing much money - then they find out that they simply can't expand their market this way, and it's back to the drawing board.
    Face it - the marketplace for high end LE pins has been pretty saturated by them lately, as witnessed by TFLEs still unsold and XMLEs selling for about what people paid for them. The market for a decent operator pin has been catered to by them. They are missing an entry point for people right now.

You're making the exact same mistake Stern is making... The assumption that since "the masses" won't spend 7 grand on a real pinball machine, they'll spend 3 grand on a stripped down fake one.
    Anyone considering ANY pinball machine at 3 grand are not "the masses". This is what a full sized, standard game cost just a few years ago.

People won't buy garbage at a price point above about $200, and even a naive person knows how to use google. This is going to bomb. Stern will be lucky to unload them for $500.

#50 11 years ago
    Quoted from TOK:

You're making the exact same mistake Stern is making... The assumption that since "the masses" won't spend 7 grand on a real pinball machine, they'll spend 3 grand on a stripped down fake one.
    Anyone considering ANY pinball machine at 3 grand are not "the masses". This is what a full sized, standard game cost just a few years ago.

People won't buy garbage at a price point above about $200, and even a naive person knows how to use google. This is going to bomb. Stern will be lucky to unload them for $500.

+1,000,000................Well said. This is just pure stupid by Stern and you will pay for it when you buy your next pro or LE.

There are 89 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-do-you-think-about-the-new-home-version-stern/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.