Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 47 posts
  • 26 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by bssbllr
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSC_5959 (resized).JPG
    6E3D97E8-74C7-4CA0-86EB-D363D1866DEA (resized).jpeg
    794EF61E-9D0D-4F5A-929A-3E2AEA29EC00 (resized).jpeg
    9905C53B-7B87-4E7B-A984-A67F1C32AD38 (resized).jpeg
    40B15FF8-F39A-4719-BD39-43E66F3456F4 (resized).jpeg
    7F28A8DD-00B3-4605-8A22-C6252229DF1E (resized).jpeg
    A3E41310-5915-4EE1-AE04-FCA51E815C41 (resized).jpeg
    E10A0058-8FC7-4B8B-B1A2-8902EBBD92E1 (resized).jpeg
    20100331-fatburger-primary (resized).jpg
    29595238330_55d6be669b_b (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    #1 4 years ago

I am driving from San Francisco to Los Angeles this week. Any recommendations on things to do or sites to see on the way? Thanks.

#2 4 years ago

Hit up In-N-Out Burger

#3 4 years ago

Monterey, Carmel Area, (17 mi dr), Big Sur, Hearst Castle, Wineries, Solvang

#4 4 years ago

The wineries that James nc are referring to are in Paso Robles. The rest of the recommended stops are also great especially Hearst Castle.

In la check out la break tar pits if you have kids. Definitely check out Disneyland. Maybe Legoland in Carlsbad, south of Los Angeles, half way to San Diego if you have kids

#5 4 years ago

Following as I want to fo this drive as well someday. I reckon I will constantly be stopping to look at things I never planned on stopping for. I know theres a park nearby with the huge trees.

#6 4 years ago

Little place called Yosemite.

#7 4 years ago
    Quoted from jimjim66:

Little place called Yosemite.

You need campground tickets or a hotel reservation to get into the park, you can’t just drive in

#8 4 years ago

Halfway point is my neck of the woods.

Pismo Beach, San Luis Obispo, Avila Beach, Cambria and San Simeon are amazing towns to spend time . If you're into wine, Paso Robles is a must.

Beautiful area. Hope you have a blast!

#9 4 years ago

Hearst Castle & The Madonna Inn

#10 4 years ago
    Quoted from PismoArcade:

Halfway point is my neck of the woods.
    Pismo Beach, San Luis Obispo, Avila Beach are amazing towns to spend time . If you're into wine, Paso Robles is a must.
    Beautiful area. Hope you have a blast!

Pismo is Great !!
    If so inclined rent a quad or sand rail and hit the dunes!

#11 4 years ago

Thanks for all the recommendations, really looking forward to the drive.
    My wife and 11 year old daughter will be along for the ride as well.
    I don’t think the winery tours will suit her, but The beaches for sure.
    In-N-out burger I remember from my last trip to the Texas pin fest.

Any good arcades In the area?

#12 4 years ago

Santa Barbara and the Santa Barbara Mission

#13 4 years ago

Couple of arcades at the Santa Cruz Boardwalk. The boardwalk itself is pretty cool for a couple hours too.

#14 4 years ago
    Quoted from scottslash:

Couple of arcades at the Santa Cruz Boardwalk. The boardwalk itself is pretty cool for a couple hours too.

I can reenact scenes from lost boys

#15 4 years ago
    pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #16 4 years ago

stay awake!

#17 4 years ago
    Quoted from Berserk:

Hit up In-N-Out Burger

waaaaaaay overated!

#18 4 years ago

Try Fatburger.......the best!
    29595238330_55d6be669b_b (resized).jpg29595238330_55d6be669b_b (resized).jpg
    20100331-fatburger-primary (resized).jpg20100331-fatburger-primary (resized).jpg

Don't forget to add an egg......

#19 4 years ago

Just across the Bay Bridge from SF in Alameda you can visit Pacific Pinball Museum. After paying admission they have about 100 machines set to free play. I am not sure when you are traveling, but July 27 and 28 in San Jose is California Extreme Arcade and Pinball Expo.

#20 4 years ago

I am leaving next week with 10 year old granddaughter on the reverse trip. LA to SF. She picked her spots to see. Solvang for lunch and then to San Luis Obispo for night. Hearst castle visit late afternoon and possibly in the morning. Possibly a visit to Madonna Inn for lunch on way out of town to Monterey. She wants to visit the Monterey Bay Aquarium. So much to do in this area. Visit the wharf area and then head into Carmel. 17 mile drive is a must for me. After a night and most of the next day we're heading to SF.

#21 4 years ago

If you go down I-5,stop at the White Castle burgers at Magic Mountain!! Off the I-5 to the left,and into that little town across from Magic Mountain Park!! Beats the hell autta In-Out

#22 4 years ago

Don’t leave anything of value in your car in SF. The smash and grabs are rampant. I split time this week between SF and Yosemite and I was a victim this afternoon. A few hours ago took one last drive around before going to the airport. Stopped at a beach took a ten minute walk came back and the rear window was smashed and the kids backpacks with laptops and wallets taken. Rental car guy said at least one a day comes back like this which I believe because there is broken glass all over the city streets.

#23 4 years ago

Just left San Francisco, went to alcatraz
    And saw the full house house (kid loves that show). Santa cruz tonight.

E10A0058-8FC7-4B8B-B1A2-8902EBBD92E1 (resized).jpegE10A0058-8FC7-4B8B-B1A2-8902EBBD92E1 (resized).jpeg
    #24 4 years ago
    Quoted from mcuzz:

Just left San Francisco, went to alcatraz
    And saw the full house house (kid loves that show). Santa cruz tonight.[quoted image]

Any pics from Alcatraz? Always wanted to go there...

#25 4 years ago
    Quoted from bluespin:

You need campground tickets or a hotel reservation to get into the park, you can’t just drive in

Did this change recently? Drove through it with no issues around 5 years ago.

#26 4 years ago

What???You can't get a day pass anymore for Yosemite????Wow,We used to go all the time with no reservations!! All you did was go to Camp Curry,and ask for a cancelation,your in!!! You definitely need prior reservation tickets for Alcatraz!!As for SF<park your car in Concord and take B.A.R.T.to SF,and have a little exercise while you tour the City,Bikes are best!! The Cliff House area has become a target for homeless trash that prey on tourists!! Leave NOTHING showing in a car there,put everything in the trunk!! And that goes for everywhere here in NorCal>Beware or be bare,California is no longer a safe place,anywhere!!! I know,I was born here!!

#27 4 years ago
    Quoted from hawkmoon:

What???The Cliff House area has become a target for homeless trash that prey on tourists!! Leave NOTHING showing in a car there,put everything in the trunk!! And that goes for everywhere here in NorCal&gt;Beware or be bare,California is no longer a safe place,anywhere!!! I know,I was born here!!

Thanks Jerry Brown.....just remember, Newsome will be twice as bed...

#28 4 years ago
    Quoted from jamesmc:

I am leaving next week with 10 year old granddaughter on the reverse trip. LA to SF. She picked her spots to see. Solvang for lunch and then to San Luis Obispo for night. Hearst castle visit late afternoon and possibly in the morning. Possibly a visit to Madonna Inn for lunch on way out of town to Monterey. She wants to visit the Monterey Bay Aquarium. So much to do in this area. Visit the wharf area and then head into Carmel. 17 mile drive is a must for me. After a night and most of the next day we're heading to SF.

If you venture out of SF to the east, come play pinball at The Flipper Room in Concord, CA.

#29 4 years ago
    Quoted from Nihonmasa:

Did this change recently? Drove through it with no issues around 5 years ago.

Sorry. I’m not aware of how they do this now, but years ago (more than five) they wouldn’t allow you in because people without reservations would park on the side of the road and pitch a tent by the river. That made it really hard to drive through the valley.

Probably best to look for a website to confirm rules for day passes, etc. again I’m sorry for that

#30 4 years ago
    Quoted from supermatt:

I believe because there is broken glass all over the city streets.

San Francisco sand

#31 4 years ago

Cold and foggy in Santa Cruz, beach boardwalk was fun. Off to Monterey today.

7F28A8DD-00B3-4605-8A22-C6252229DF1E (resized).jpeg7F28A8DD-00B3-4605-8A22-C6252229DF1E (resized).jpegA3E41310-5915-4EE1-AE04-FCA51E815C41 (resized).jpegA3E41310-5915-4EE1-AE04-FCA51E815C41 (resized).jpeg
    #32 4 years ago

does the ring toss machine still output metal rings?

#33 4 years ago

Yup it sure does, you have to grab a ring and then try to throw it into the clowns mouth and his eyes light up. It’s quite difficult. Built in 1911.

40B15FF8-F39A-4719-BD39-43E66F3456F4 (resized).jpeg40B15FF8-F39A-4719-BD39-43E66F3456F4 (resized).jpeg
    #34 4 years ago
    Quoted from yellowghost:

Following as I want to fo this drive as well someday. I reckon I will constantly be stopping to look at things I never planned on stopping for. I know theres a park nearby with the huge trees.

For big trees you could pop by Big Basin Redwoods State Park.

Try to connect with the Monterey Flipper Pinball guys to see if their location is available. They have a great lineup.

Visit AYCE Gogi for good food and pinball when you're nearing LA.

#35 4 years ago

Andersen's even if you aren't a pea soup fan.

Also in Santa Nella on I-5

#36 4 years ago

Santa Cruz arcade.

9905C53B-7B87-4E7B-A984-A67F1C32AD38 (resized).jpeg9905C53B-7B87-4E7B-A984-A67F1C32AD38 (resized).jpeg
    #37 4 years ago

Ojai valley Inn and the Cold Springs Tavern

#38 4 years ago

Just did the drive last year. If your planing on driving PCH ( HWY 1) all the way, then you are in for some of the most spectacular coastline in the world. Fantastic. Just be prepared that the 1 will take you twice as long as taking HWY 101 with practically no scenery whatsoever due to it being more inland. If you are planning on taking the Pacific Coast Highgway then you have so many options, as others have mentioned, Big Sur, Hearst Castle, etc. I actually love a place called Piedras Blancas in Sam Simeon. I also really enjoy Santa Barbara as its one of my favorite California Beach towns with lots of sights and things to do. But to be perfectly honest, just the drive alone is worth every extra minute invested on HWY 1. Oh and BTW Yosemite , is pretty far out of your way unless you are planning on taking quite the detour.

#39 4 years ago
    Quoted from mcuzz:

Yup it sure does, you have to grab a ring and then try to throw it into the clowns mouth and his eyes light up. It’s quite difficult. Built in 1911.[quoted image]

If you are really fast you can grab 2 rings. Definitely a lot harder than you'd think to hit the clown's mouth.

#40 4 years ago

Henry Cowell Redwoods State Park was beautiful(10$ parking) 17 mile drive through pebble beach golf club was nice (10$ per car).
    Big Sur drive was amazing, and really enjoyed pismo beach. This drive is better San Francisco to Los Angeles because all the sights are on the passenger side of the car, and it is easy to pull over to the right. I will post a picture folder when I get home as most of my pics are on my Nikon.

794EF61E-9D0D-4F5A-929A-3E2AEA29EC00 (resized).jpeg794EF61E-9D0D-4F5A-929A-3E2AEA29EC00 (resized).jpeg6E3D97E8-74C7-4CA0-86EB-D363D1866DEA (resized).jpeg6E3D97E8-74C7-4CA0-86EB-D363D1866DEA (resized).jpeg
    #42 4 years ago
    Quoted from mcuzz:

Henry Cowell Redwoods State Park was beautiful(10$ parking) 17 mile drive through pebble beach golf club was nice (10$ per car).
    [quoted image][quoted image]

You can take the 10 dollar receipt for 17 mi dr and they will give you back the credit inside one of the Pebble beach Corp restaurants. So a $18 cocktail will only cost $8 while the view is priceless. If you're going south of LA, I highly reccomend the drive from the Huntington Beach pier to the San Clemente pier down the PCH. A little side trip within could take you to Newport and Balboa piers, the Wedge, and then the auto ferry across to Balboa Island and then back on PCH. Down through Newport Coast, Laguna Beach, Dana Point, and then San Clemente. Great restaurant on the pier in San Clemente (Fishermens). Some people refer to this area as the gold coast.

#43 4 years ago

Glad you enjoyed Pismo!

#44 4 years ago

Looks like a fantastic trip, Mike!

I really enjoyed the drive down the PCH too! If you haven't passed it yet, rent some kayaks in La Jolla and check out the caves!

#45 4 years ago
    Quoted from PNorth:

Looks like a fantastic trip, Mike!
    I really enjoyed the drive down the PCH too! If you haven't passed it yet, rent some kayaks in La Jolla and check out the caves!

La Jolla, kayaks and the caves are cool .
    Probably a bit south for this trip it sounds.

#46 4 years ago

5 days, San Francisco to Los Angeles Driving South along the California Pacific Coast Highway (California 1)
    Thank you to all that recommended sights and stops along the way, this drive and country are truly unique and beautiful.
    Myself and my family had a wonderful time in California.
    Here are some photos for anyone interested.
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1_onB8SWCa8MQbGT1YLvBCV6t0Vb7Ha5J?usp=sharing

DSC_5959 (resized).JPGDSC_5959 (resized).JPG
    #47 4 years ago

Monterey flipper pinball is in Salinas has 30 + machines check them out on Facebook. Last I looked they were opening in seaside as well.Monterey was my old stomping grounds. Love that area.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-do-you-recommend-i-do-driving-from-san-francisco-la-drive and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.