(Topic ID: 226466)

What do you recommend for pins on hardwood floor?

By rai

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

sliders (resized).jpg
    $_61 (resized).JPG
    c0dc272cc884934b47f9c81a5adbd50c041d6ded.jpgpins (resized).jpg
    download (resized).jpg
    carpet cups (resized).jpg
    51UZM41EV0L._SL500_AC_SS350_ (resized).jpg
    30208B65-2D8A-45C3-A9B5-6B1F468E4513 (resized).jpeg
    4E199346-2AD4-4BE0-A3DE-0041B216D0CD (resized).jpeg
    BD309491-57F7-4EF2-B2D1-AD01BF6378E1 (resized).jpeg
    #1 5 years ago

I plan to move some of my pins to a different area of my basement which has hardwood floor, what should I put under the pin feet? Currently my pins are on carpet.

#2 5 years ago

To slide them around, thick felt pads.

To get em stable, rubber cups.

Both in the same aisle/section in Home Depot - they're for the feet of furniture.

#3 5 years ago

I keep these under the feet on all pins. They will protect your floors. They are cupped and hold like they were made for pins.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000H5VNPY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00

#4 5 years ago

I bought these magic sliders at Target (see picture) and I use them on carpet. I just started to use them on my hardwood floors and they seem to work fine. I think they were $6.50 for a set of four.

Also pinball life sells silicone feet but I haven’t tried them yet. I’m selling my dining room table so that I set up more pins on my hardwood floors so Ill be following this forum.

https://www.pinballlife.com/perfectplay-silicone-leg-leveler-casters-set-of-4.html

BD309491-57F7-4EF2-B2D1-AD01BF6378E1 (resized).jpegBD309491-57F7-4EF2-B2D1-AD01BF6378E1 (resized).jpeg
    #6 5 years ago

But these pinfoits are $25 a set vs. $6.75 or $10.00 a set.

#7 5 years ago

Those aren’t bad, but they are big ugly and bulky.

I tried these and do like them, pin butts:

https://www.pinballlife.com/search.html?Search=Pin%20butts

But whether I had my pins on hardwood, pinfoots, or pin butts; they just seemed easier to play than when I had them on carpet.

In the end, I went with a $200~ rug from Lowe’s. When I get pin #4, I’ll squeeze the games together a bit and put one on the hardwood where that chair is sitting and use the pin butts.

30208B65-2D8A-45C3-A9B5-6B1F468E4513 (resized).jpeg30208B65-2D8A-45C3-A9B5-6B1F468E4513 (resized).jpeg

4E199346-2AD4-4BE0-A3DE-0041B216D0CD (resized).jpeg4E199346-2AD4-4BE0-A3DE-0041B216D0CD (resized).jpeg

#8 5 years ago

I use these you can get at home depot for a few bucks for four. Been sliding my games up and down the hall and moving them around as I please for over 5 years.

If you prefer a more stable footing, get the rubber ones that won't move.
    51UZM41EV0L._SL500_AC_SS350_ (resized).jpg51UZM41EV0L._SL500_AC_SS350_ (resized).jpg

#9 5 years ago
    Quoted from bluespin:

I bought these magic sliders at Target (see picture) and I use them on carpet. I just started to use them on my hardwood floors and they seem to work fine. I think they were $6.50 for a set of four.
    Also pinball life sells silicone feet but I haven’t tried them yet. I’m selling my dining room table so that I set up more pins on my hardwood floors so Ill be following this forum.
    https://www.pinballlife.com/perfectplay-silicone-leg-leveler-casters-set-of-4.html[quoted image]

I tried the silicon feet but didn't like that they had a lot of grip. Very difficult to move the pin even an inch. I use the ones like that pictured from Target or something like that. They cup the casters perfectly and very easy to slide. It makes it very easy to slide games around when you need extra space to work on them. Downside is that it makes it easy to throw the game around when playing so a little self control is needed. The big furniture sliders work okay but I don't like the look of a big disk under the feet.

#10 5 years ago
    Quoted from bluespin:

https://www.pinballlife.com/perfectplay-silicone-leg-leveler-casters-set-of-4.html[quoted image]

But I don’t want to feel like it’s on wheels nor do I want it to feel glued to the floor so I can’t slide it some to service.

#11 5 years ago

I use these for my games on location and they hold the games in place great.

https://www.pinballlife.com/perfectplay-silicone-leg-leveler-casters-set-of-4.html

#12 5 years ago

Ive used the Blue Magic Sliders on my hardwood floors for 22 years without an issue....
    The only caveat is if you are a heavy nudger....

#13 5 years ago

I have all of these on my pins on tile. They slide well enough to move games but arent like they are on wheels. They are cupped and fit the leg levelers perfectly.
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/3M-Scotch-2-3-8-in-Gray-Black-Round-Reusable-Furniture-Sliders-4-Pack-SP646-NA/300763805

#14 5 years ago

I know for my arcade machines I use level levers with a plastic (Delrin/nylon?) base. But, I haven't seen anything for pinball machines that have a "swivel" base. The reason I mention it is that it makes moving my arcade machines easier on carpet and, I'm guessing, that they'd be perfect for pinball machines on hardwood floors.

#15 5 years ago

I don't have first hand experience with these but my friend does and has a hard floor. He said they work great and said makes leveling games easy too.

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/LL3NW

#16 5 years ago

I use the rubber or silicone ones on front legs so you can't/don't swing the game around, and carpeted cups on rear legs so that with just a slight amount of lifting the front, I can slide the game forward/backward to work on it

#17 5 years ago
    Quoted from metal-mods:

I use the rubber or silicone ones on front legs so you can't/don't swing the game around, and carpeted cups on rear legs so that with just a slight amount of lifting the front, I can slide the game forward/backward to work on it

That's a _great_ idea, which I'll be stealing for my next house, where there will (hopefully) actually be enough room to move the games around. Thanks!

#18 5 years ago
    Quoted from mwong168:

I don't have first hand experience with these but my friend does and has a hard floor. He said they work great and said makes leveling games easy too.
    https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/LL3NW

Yeah those are just like the ones I use for my arcade machines. I think I might have to get some for my pins.

#19 5 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

But I don’t want to feel like it’s on wheels nor do I want it to feel glued to the floor so I can’t slide it some to service.

Home Depot carpet cups o-din posted are the perfect middle ground you're looking for. I've used them for years on hardwood.
    carpet cups (resized).jpgcarpet cups (resized).jpg

One thing no one mentions about magic sliders is that they can scratch hardwood if there's any grit or grain of sand between the hard bottom and your floor. They're for easy movement, not surface protection.

Related anecdote: the guys who refinished our floors told to me replace all of our hard nylon furniture feet with felt. Nylon is there to protect new furniture from the factory floor, not to protect your floor. And if they ever crack, the nails used to attach them will gouge.

Hard sliders on carpet, carpet sliders on hard surfaces.

#20 5 years ago
    Quoted from yancy:

Home Depot carpet cups o-din posted are the perfect middle ground you're looking for. I've used them for years on hardwood.

download (resized).jpgdownload (resized).jpg
    #21 5 years ago
    Quoted from yancy:

[quoted image]
    One thing no one mentions about magic sliders is that they can scratch hardwood if there's any grit or grain of sand between the hard bottom and your floor. They're for easy movement, not surface protection.
    Related anecdote: the guys who refinished our floors told to me replace all of our hard nylon furniture feet with felt. Nylon is there to protect new furniture from the factory floor, not to protect your floor. And if they ever crack, the nails used to attach them will gouge.
    Hard sliders on carpet, carpet sliders on hard surfaces.

Thanks see two sizes 2 or 2.5 inches what is preferred?

#22 5 years ago

Pretty sure the 2" are just big enough to perfectly cup a leg leveler. I guess those are out of stock at my local HD and didn't show up when I searched today.

#23 5 years ago

Just checked my games; I have a mix of the Home Depot 2.5" and another brand's 2.25" cups. Looks like 2" would do the trick, but carry a leveler into the store with you if you can.

#24 5 years ago
    Quoted from yancy:

Just checked my games; I have a mix of the Home Depot 2.5" and another brand's 2.25" cups. Looks like 2" would do the trick, but carry a leveler into the store with you if you can.

I was going to buy online save a trip.

#25 5 years ago

Just make sure you at least run a dust mop over the floor before you start sliding those games around. When I go to do a serious moving of them I also wet mop the area and let it dry. Sometimes I rearrange games back and forth until I get it right. My 60 year old oak floor still looks fine.

One man operation with those carpeted sliders.

#26 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

My 60 year old oak floor still looks fine.

So you must have pins older than that floor....'right!'

Protecting the floor with the carpeted foot pads is a must.

#27 5 years ago
    Quoted from Darcy:

So you must have pins older than that floor....'right!'

A couple, but they are in the garage. I use some of the older sliders to help level them and raise the back of the games out there.

You don't want to use beat up old levelers with the bolt almost sticking thru as they will put a dent in the middle of the slider.

#28 5 years ago

Not hard wood in my home, just some vinyl fake wood flooring. Those Carpeted furniture pads are under all my pins in this room. Allowing for easy movement of the game, but not that easy that the game moves during active nudging.
    c0dc272cc884934b47f9c81a5adbd50c041d6ded.jpgpins (resized).jpgc0dc272cc884934b47f9c81a5adbd50c041d6ded.jpgpins (resized).jpg

#29 5 years ago
    Quoted from JWJr:

That's a great_ idea, which I'll be stealing for my next house, where there will (hopefully) actually be enough room to move the games around. Thanks!

Thanks! I'm actually surprised I've never seen anybody else mix them like this lol

#30 5 years ago
    Quoted from Darcy:

Not hard wood in my home, just some vinyl fake wood flooring. Those Carpeted furniture pads are under all my pins in this room. Allowing for easy movement of the game, but not that easy that the game moves during active nudging.
    [quoted image]

Damn you need to get some DMD action in that collection.

#31 5 years ago

I have my pins on hardwood and have tried just about everything listed here. I didn't like the rubbery feet as the pin wouldn't move at all when nudging and felt unnatural, and in general prefer the glides and felt glides because of ease of moving the games for maintenance, though they tend to move a bit too easily when nudging and you have to adjust your style of play.

But recently when I purchased a couple more pins than I immediately had extra sets of glides for, I resorted to beer mats (chipboard coasters from your local bar). Work like a charm, slightly less slide-prone as the glides and best of all they're FREE. Might look a little tacky but I like the play better than the other options.

$_61 (resized).JPG$_61 (resized).JPG
    #32 5 years ago

I missed the pinfoot train because of the expense for 4 machines but what is another option for machines on carpet? Could care less about the indentions into the carpet by the legs/feet, but it would be nice to move the machine a little for nudging purposes.

#33 5 years ago

I use these on carpet:
    sliders (resized).jpgsliders (resized).jpg
    Leveler sinks into the middle of the foam for a secure fit. 16-pack for 9 bucks at Home Depot, exactly what you need for 4 machines. You can definitely move the machine a bit with a solid nudge, or easily push them around for repairs, etc. Theoretically slide-saving is possible with these, but if your tilts are tight enough it's a non-issue. Feels close enough to location play for me.

5 months later
    #34 5 years ago

I find that Furniture Sliders for Carpet X-PROTECTOR is the best for quality and it have good rating on amazon.

My blog: https://consumerepic.com

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-do-you-recommend-for-pins-on-hardwood-floor?hl=metal-mods and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.