(Topic ID: 25240)

What do you prefer to achieve multiball: 3 balls to lock or target to hit?

By Jackontherocks

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 36 posts
  • 30 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by sven
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 11 years ago

I think you know what I am trying to say in this forum with this question. I am curious to everyone’s thoughts. I am use to playing games that require you to lock at least or usually up to three balls to achieve mutilball with 3 balls, like Tales From Arabian Nights, LOTR, Spiderman, Scared Stiff, etc. as the list could go on and on. I am leaning towards buying my first game which is TFTC which you hit the grave stone a few times to spell CRYPT and then hit the shot to get multiball unless you do the other opinion to my memory to achieve the 6 ball mutiball in the electric chair. I am worried since I am so use to playing the games with Lock 1, 2, & 3 to acheive a multiball that the only reason I may not like TFTC is because of the game not having this in it. It has been a long time since I played TFTC and just curious if any other types of games come to mind that follow this type of mutiball to compare it to and maybe I can find one to play in my areas ahead of time. But still wnat to knwo which type of multiball people prefer and enjoy and why of cousre. Thanks everyone.

#2 11 years ago

3 balls to lock even if that means shooting up a ramp like TSPP or CV.

#3 11 years ago

Just get transformers. It has both.

Seriously though, I would always prefer a physical lock when possible. Just personal preference. I think the only multiball game I have owned that did NOT have a physical lock was Stargate, and frankly, it didn't get played a whole lot... =\

#4 11 years ago

I never thought about that, but I like both, locking balls and jamming a certain shot to start a multi-ball mode.

I have games that do both, so I like both way of getting my daily dose of frantic flipping on.

#5 11 years ago

Physical Lock.

#6 11 years ago

I prefer the physical lock as well.

#7 11 years ago

I like the physical lock but Centaur rocks without it.

#8 11 years ago

Physical lock.

#9 11 years ago
    Quoted from Jackontherocks:

I think you know what I am trying to say in this forum with this question. I am curious to everyone’s thoughts. I am use to playing games that require you to lock at least or usually up to three balls to achieve mutilball with 3 balls, like Tales From Arabian Nights, LOTR, spiderman, Scared Stiff, etc. as the list could go on and on. I am leaning towards buying my first game which is TFTC which you hit the grave stone a few times to spell CRYPT and then hit the shot to get multiball unless you do the other opinion to my memory to achieve the 6 ball mutiball in the electric chair. I am worried since I am so use to playing the games with Lock 1, 2, & 3 to acheive a multiball that the only reason I may not like TFTC is because of the game not having this in it. It has been a long time since I played TFTC and just curious if any other types of games come to mind that follow this type of mutiball to compare it to and maybe I can find one to play in my areas ahead of time. But still wnat to knwo which type of multiball people prefer and enjoy and why of cousre. Thanks everyone.

Heavy Metal Meltdown has a lock where you get five balls locked in a ramp and then if you hit the front ball, it knocks the back ball out on to the playfield, then you rinse and repeat. Only game I know of that does this.

#10 11 years ago

Physical lock also.

Dan

#11 11 years ago

I guess I prefer a physical lock, like on my Getaway. I have a Baywatch that uses three targets to activate lock, but sometimes I hit them with an out of control ball when I'd rather go for the tower vertical mode instead of locking balls. I can't figure out how to setup the menu in Baywatch to require a full target knock-down for each lock ball. You only have to knock them down once and the lock stays active between balls and locks. I've set the timer to 5 seconds for completion but that still isn't what I want.

#12 11 years ago

Physical lock for me too.

#13 11 years ago

Physical lock for sure. It feels like an achievement and getting to plunge a new ball leaves the locked ball(s) in the back of your mind knowing that you've worked to tuck it away for a great multiball. It makes the multiball more rewarding, and also more disappointing when you drain balls

Physical locks require more components so would DE have omitted it on those pins to keep costs down?

My first pin was a JP and like TFTC, it doesn't have ball locks. It doesn't make it any less fun, but it does make the main multiball feel on par with other modes and not something that you really have to work at and feel rewarded for.

#14 11 years ago

Does it require more components? Perhaps, but maybe just more clever programming.

#15 11 years ago

Physical lock as well.
    But I really enjoyed my TFTC and missed it everyday since sale but had to sell to get cash together to get MM. Variety is good.

#17 11 years ago

I would have to say physical lock as well...but I like having to accomplish something to light said physical lock. Say on AFM where you have to hit the ramp to light the lock...or on SM you have to hit the target, or Congo where you have to get X amount of diamonds to light it...Or on some sys. 11s like WW you have to light the wind directions or ES you light the zones ...or Taxi you hit the ramp shot...Although games like SS where they are automatically lit but then you have to knock down the target and go around the through the Space Shuttle to start the MB are good too...
    Oh well, I like the physical lock...but then again I guess I pretty much like them all so I guess I didn't help much!!!

Phoebe

#18 11 years ago

A variety, AFM and Wh2O come to mind as having several ways to achieve MB other than just the lock method.

#19 11 years ago

Mutliple shots like Medieval Madness. Barnyard multi-ball was the most fulfilling thing I have done in pinball. In two years I got barnyard multi-ball twice.

Addams family has a great locking system as well. Other than that for casual players the Data East games always did a good job with 'triball' in that everyone could them every game.

#20 11 years ago

Physical Lock as it gives me a chance to drink some beer in the middle of my turn.

#21 11 years ago

Physical lock, it adds to the disappointment and incentive to try again when you drain on the last ball and your locks from the Multiball you couldn't achieve get kicked out and roll down the dead playfield.

#22 11 years ago
    Quoted from PeteM:

Physical lock, it adds to the disappointment and incentive to try again when you drain on the last ball and your locks from the Multiball you couldn't achieve get kicked out and roll down the dead playfield.

I agree and it makes me mad as well. But would I still have fun with TFTC as my first and only pin if I am use to playing locks 1,2,3 for MB or would I not enjoy it for this reason only because the rest of the game and theme etc. I truly think is great.

#24 11 years ago

Physical locks are very satisfying!

#25 11 years ago

Many of my games have physical locks (FT, IJ, XM) and I find it much more satisfying to achieve multi-ball on those pins versus my others?

I also really love how physical locks worked on some older pins like Space Shuttle for example.

#26 11 years ago

Some pins, like NGG, don't actually lock the balls but the game still calls them locks. I guess it's a paradigm that players are familiar with.

#27 11 years ago

Physical lock is definitely first choice, with virtual locks (like AFM & MM) a close second. I've never liked starting multiball by just hitting X non-locking shots. It's one of the few things I'd change about Tron. There's just something about locking balls (even virtually) that makes earning mutliball so much more satisfying.

#28 11 years ago

I prefer physical locks. One of the things I don't like about SM is that it doesn't have it.

#29 11 years ago
    Quoted from SealClubber:

I prefer physical locks. One of the things I don't like about SM is that it doesn't have it.

I thought it did. Lock 1 , 2 and 3.

#30 11 years ago

SM says it has LOCKs, but really they are virtual locks, I believe. The ball is not physically held, and released once you get MB. I think that is the point Seal is making.

On to the original topic, You are already familiar with LOTR. Imagine if there were no Two Towers Multiball. There is still Gollum 2 ball, Fellowship Multiball, and Return of the King Multiball, all achieved without the "LOCK" convention. I find all of these great, especially the Fellowship Multiball. Do you prefer the LOCKS of Two Towers over all of the other MBs on this machine?

If I had to pick a preference, and I barely have one, I would go with the non-Lock paradigm. For example, Fish Tales' multiball is pretty bland to me. Hit one shot a bunch of times, that happens to be named "LOCK". SM: hit one target on the left, then hit a LOCK shot.

With Fellowship MB on LOTR, you need to hit all the major shots and pop-bumpers... very varied, and refreshing in my opinion.

The is also something to be said for having differences in your pin collection.

#31 11 years ago
    Quoted from micro:

SM says it has LOCKs, but really they are virtual locks, I believe. The ball is not physically held, and released once you get MB. I think that is the point Seal is making.
    On to the original topic, You are already familiar with LOTR. Imagine if there were no Two Towers Multiball. There is still Gollum 2 ball, Fellowship Multiball, and Return of the King Multiball, all achieved without the "LOCK" convention. I find all of these great, especially the Fellowship Multiball. Do you prefer the LOCKS of Two Towers over all of the other MBs on this machine?
    If I had to pick a preference, and I barely have one, I would go with the non-Lock paradigm. For example, Fish Tales' multiball is pretty bland to me. Hit one shot a bunch of times, that happens to be named "LOCK". SM: hit one target on the left, then hit a LOCK shot.
    With Fellowship MB on LOTR, you need to hit all the major shots and pop-bumpers... very varied, and refreshing in my opinion.
    The is also something to be said for having differences in your pin collection.

Thanks for the info never knew that was even a phrase called virtual lock. But I have been lucky enough to play LOTR many times at a bar and do enjoy and see the balls lock on the right side. So virtual lock is you don't see the balls. Is there any game or best game people enjoy like MB is acheieved in TFTC? In any event like I assumed most would enjoy locking the balls 1, 2, 3 for MB weather it is virtual lock or they just drop out.

#32 11 years ago

Yes, SM does not actually hold the ball in place like in LOTR's Two Towers MB.

#33 11 years ago

Some older games are unfortunetly unusable in multiplayer compatition play due to playfield locks. On some games, like Whirlwind and Taxi, you can cheat your way to an easier multiball, and henceforth advantage, by stealing balls locked by other players.

On other games, like Funhouse and World Cup Soccer, the advantage is eliminated to a degree. However, on drain a player must relock the balls on next ball in play. An unfortunet disadvantage. And players risk to start the multi-ball early with only two balls instead of three.

Playfield locks are nice. I mean, Cirqus Voltaire has TWO individual 2xball locks on playfield. Awesome. But for competition play the physical locks must be possible to disable by configuration.

No playfield locks, however, claims the necessity for an autoplunger (possibly as supplement to manual plunger). Unless in special circumstances like Creature from the Black Lagoon, as an example.

Playfield locks are great. Complementary design and software for compatition play makes it even better.

#34 11 years ago

I like a game where you really have to work at locking the balls in a physical ball lock. I recently picked up a Black Hole and that game is really difficult to get both the upper and lower playfield locks. But it's extremely satisfying when you are able to start multi-ball. Another one of my favorites is Fathom where it hides the locks behind in-line drops.

#35 11 years ago

Physical locks. T2, Mousin Around etc

#36 11 years ago
    Quoted from soren:

Some older games are unfortunetly unusable in multiplayer compatition play due to playfield locks......
    On other games, like Funhouse and World Cup Soccer, the advantage is eliminated to a degree. However, on drain a player must relock the balls on next ball in play. An unfortunet disadvantage. And players risk to start the multi-ball early with only two balls instead of three.

I agree, but on some games where jackpots either score low or the lock-shot itself is really easy, it can be an advantage to have to lock again, if the skillshot is worth a lot
    That said, it's not really good for competition play indeed, unless both/all the players agree that as long as both can suffer or gain from the same thing, is ok with them.
    In not so serious competitions: why not?

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-do-you-prefer-to-achieve-multiball-3-balls-to-lock-or-target-to-hit and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.