(Topic ID: 132357)

What do you need to silkscreen plastics?

By dr_nybble

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by tdddddd
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider topmoose.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#6 8 years ago

I silkscreened some larger plastics and they turned out pretty decent, but I replaced them as soon as they were available from Marco. Here's what I learned:

1. Cut and refine the shape first, before printing on it
    2. Use the finest screen you can get, for better detail
    3. I got a Blick silkscreen kit, which came with C, M, Y and black inks and mixed colors myself.
    4. Print reverse images on the underside of the plastic
    5. Print black first
    6. The inks are meant for paper, so give them extra time to dry between colors. Don't get fabric inks.
    7. Always finish with a white shape that covers all the printed area - it helps even out the look and translucency.
    8. It's an expensive, messy and time-consuming process and you may consider having Ponoko.com or some other online service print you some reverse stickers printed on clear adhesive acetate and trim them to the correct shape

#8 8 years ago

I used photo emulsion. It adds about eight more steps to the process but produces better results.

#11 8 years ago

I would think opaque - it will probably have better, more even coverage and even though you're printing in layers, they're very thin layers, so the light wouldn't get completely blocked. Good luck!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider topmoose.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-do-you-need-to-silkscreen-plastics?tu=topmoose and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.