(Topic ID: 132357)

What do you need to silkscreen plastics?

By dr_nybble

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by tdddddd
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dr_nybble.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

I tried printing decals on my laser printer and also airbrushing some opaque paint onto PETG. Neither look very good when illuminated. I have a Silhouette Cameo cutter so I am thinking to try stencil screening instead. Original plastics were silk screened so I figure this is going to produce better results.

What mesh size frame should I buy or does it matter for stencil screening? And what kind of ink? Any advice is appreciated!

#2 8 years ago

Does anybody have experience to share? I guess the mesh doesn't matter for stencil based screening.

These inks can print on plastic: http://paintspot.ca/products-page/jacquard/jacquard-screen-printing-ink/

Should I be looking at the regular or opaque inks? Pretty expensive, I don't want to get the wrong kind.

#4 8 years ago

I tried that and didn't get good results. The image just seems too thin and washed out. I do have the toner density cranked to maximum, it looks great until illuminated from the back -- then it is a pallid cousin to the real plastic.

Someone else mentioned printing from an inkjet onto photo paper and then adhering that to the plastic with 3M adhesive spray. I don't have an inkjet printer any more but was tempted by the Canon Pixma Pro 100!

#7 8 years ago

TopMoose, did you do stencil based printing or emulsion based?

EEE -- I did use clear decal paper for the colour and affixed white decal to the back.

#10 8 years ago

For me I am trying to recreate a single slingshot plastic for "Top Score". I have hand-cut the PETG it is pretty easy to work with.

I have already vectorized the artwork so I can cut accurate stencils on the Silhouette Cameo.

The Jacquard inks are heat curable and they state suitable for plastics -- just wish I knew whether to order the opaque inks or the standard inks.

I think I will give it a shot and report back on the results....

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dr_nybble.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-do-you-need-to-silkscreen-plastics?tu=dr_nybble and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.