Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 228 posts
  • 101 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by roffels
  • Topic is favorited by 12 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20211116-162319_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
    rgp-rootpg (resized).jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-11-16 at 9.55.08 AM (resized).png
    96127BBA-F3F4-4071-B550-86437A0E4732.gif
    B0F726EB-3D15-4464-9100-38F35879AC9C (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    B0C1A405-7028-4121-BB95-5CE27DA33013 (resized).jpeg
    44ACD123-AA2A-4EED-92A2-2D78265AABE4 (resized).jpeg
    fd3265778fc5dd6b9d1357df5547dab99e8c2619.gif
    475306B4-9106-4C7E-8254-D34893777662 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider hoakypoaky.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#185 2 years ago

As mentioned before, I miss the oldtime members who eventually left the site for various reasons. When I first joined the hobby, I knew enough to respect & learn from others who had been in the hobby far longer than me. I enjoyed the comradery that was clearly apparent in threads. I came here for discussions of games & the wealth of repair knowledge available. I still feel that the knowledge contained here is still Pinside's greatest strength.

I couldn't care less about endless fanboy arguments, value debates, narcissistic podcasters, collector dick waving, obsessing about LEs & owning every new title, or those new members who have collections consisting entirely of games made after 2010. I don't understand any of that stuff. They're being obtuse & missing out on so much that the hobby has to offer.

To be honest I didn't know a damn thing when I started buying games either. I started small with older titles & tried to work my way up, learning & fixing along the way. The lightbulb really didn't go off until a couple years later, when I finally connected with local pinheads. Then started playing their collections, discussing rules & strategies, learning about the great qualities of EMs, the wonders of 1980-81 early solid states, overlooked Gottliebs, the innovations of system 11s, alphanumerics, and the classic DMD era. Then started restoring games, which became almost more enjoyable than playing them. Then I even impressed myself & built a Quicksilver from scratch, then was happy to share that knowledge with the community. Now I'm working on a mod side business. Hopefully someday I'll build a custom game. And on it goes.

None of that would have been possible without this site.

I feel like I've come full circle as a pinhead where there is still an endless amount of pinball to learn & enjoy. For me the chase isn't about owning & arguing about every new title, but finding the right balance to my evolving gameroom that showcases everything the hobby has to offer. But most importantly, I've made some really great friends, which is really what this hobby is all about. Leagues & pinball shows can't come back soon enough. Cheers!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider hoakypoaky.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-do-you-miss-or-has-changed-on-pinside-in-the-past-10-years?tu=hoakypoaky and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.