Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 228 posts
  • 101 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by roffels
  • Topic is favorited by 12 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20211116-162319_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
    rgp-rootpg (resized).jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-11-16 at 9.55.08 AM (resized).png
    96127BBA-F3F4-4071-B550-86437A0E4732.gif
    B0F726EB-3D15-4464-9100-38F35879AC9C (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    B0C1A405-7028-4121-BB95-5CE27DA33013 (resized).jpeg
    44ACD123-AA2A-4EED-92A2-2D78265AABE4 (resized).jpeg
    fd3265778fc5dd6b9d1357df5547dab99e8c2619.gif
    475306B4-9106-4C7E-8254-D34893777662 (resized).jpeg
    There are 228 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.
    #1 2 years ago

Seeing the Apron of Destiny thread pop back up, I realized Pinside has changed ALOT in the past 10 years ( entering my 10th).

Used to discuss LED vs incandescent heavy, alot of tech ( Lloyd saved me many times), mods were there but nothing like now.

While there were trolls, flippers, etc. back then, it didn't have the same vibe that is current state imho. Alot of great Pinbuds have come and gone.

Remembering many of the crazy fun threads to engage in, as my Pin ownership experience was new back then. Just felt more relaxed as I started to navigate...

Maybe we tend to remember the good. Idk.....just throwing it out there ( hoping it doesn't turn toxic too quick)....what do you miss or has changed?

#2 2 years ago

10k by xmas jokes….now it’d be a bargain.

#3 2 years ago

people that care about pinball, now its all flippers and people out to fuck you for $1. Especially the 2 yr and under crowd.

#4 2 years ago
    Quoted from MK6PIN:

Seeing the Apron of Destiny thread pop back up, I realized Pinside has changed ALOT in the past 10 years ( entering my 10th).
    Used to discuss LED vs incandescent heavy, alot of tech ( Lloyd saved me many times), mods were there but nothing like now.
    While there were trolls, flippers, etc. back then, it didn't have the same vibe that is current state imho. Alot of great Pinbuds have come and gone.
    Remembering many of the crazy fun threads to engage in, as my Pin ownership experience was new back then. Just felt more relaxed as I started to navigate...
    Maybe we tend to remember the good. Idk.....just throwing it out there ( hoping it doesn't turn toxic too quick)....what do you miss or has changed?

I wanted to make a thread about this but felt I was too “green” to talk about it. I read old threads often and it really brings you back to this awesome camaraderie everyone seemed to share!
    Wish we could find out what happened to that spark.
    Was it the money?

The small hobby? (Only ~30k users back then. Now we are around ~85k users)

Or did people used to get to know each other more personally and exercise respect?

Perhaps old users had thicker skin and jokes/busting on people used to be acceptable and now it’s often misconstrued? (outrage/entitlement culture)

Wish we could bring some of that back to Pinside and pinball!

#5 2 years ago

I actually like Pinside a little better now than before. The main reason being that they took the initiative to freeze out accounts of posters that would stir the pot at any given opportunity. I come here to unwind, not to listen to a bunch of adults act worse than a bunch of whiny children.

While I understand there are tools to personalize my own experience, I also would see others take the bait that had no reason to, other than they were attacked by an internet stranger.

#6 2 years ago

I miss the achievements! It was just fun to see things get unlocked. No real value other than that but a neat little feature.

#7 2 years ago

Unfortunately pinball (probably like a lot of other hobbies) seems to have gone from a “look what I scored for $500 bucks!” hobby to a “wow look at my $28,000 Elvira” hobby.

Personally, being firmly part of the former group, I’m sad to see it go that way.

rd

#8 2 years ago

The manufactured tiering model over the last decade and recent popularity surge have made the site more investment than gameplay focused.

#9 2 years ago
    Quoted from Krupps4:

I miss the achievements! It was just fun to see things get unlocked. No real value other than that but a neat little feature.

Same. It’s supposed to return I thought. Just don’t know when

#10 2 years ago

I miss the infighting and pointless bickering.

#11 2 years ago
    Quoted from Vino:

The manufactured tiering model over the last decade and recent popularity surge have made the site more investment than gameplay focused.

This isn't really true, it's just the $ amounts have changed. Pinball online has ALWAYS been hyperfocused on prices and everything associated to it, as well over 20 years of "price bubble" threads can attest to. There's just more people and more money now.

#12 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

20 years of "price bubble" threads can attest to. There's just more people and more money now.

Certainly more price bubble threads than ever!

#13 2 years ago

For better or worse, Pinside was bit more juvenile 10 years ago. It was fun. You couldn’t visit a thread without crazy pictures or linked games that had nothing to do with the topic. Super tongue in cheek.

Those days are gone. What’s missing, I think, is a genuine love of the hobby. Sure, there are still super passionate hobbyists and collectors, but they’re being overtaken by opportunists and flippers.

It’s the same tired ‘kids these days’ argument, but I’m allowed to be grumpy because I’m getting older.

#14 2 years ago

Crap now im the old man too

475306B4-9106-4C7E-8254-D34893777662 (resized).jpeg475306B4-9106-4C7E-8254-D34893777662 (resized).jpeg
    #15 2 years ago

I definitely miss having a decent supply and little demand. RGP and now Pinside helped usher in a ton of new people to grab up the supply of games. On the surface that's bad because I won't be getting any more un-shopped $1700 AFMs. The 1964 EM that I am considering buying is $1500.

On the other hand the incredible growth of the hobby has created a lot of good. When I got into the hobby there was one manufacturer left standing and now there are how many? Half dozen? Not to mention all the great games in the last ten years and the availability of parts has exploded. All these people also created a need for pinball shows all across the country. Look how many huge shows there are now. Free Play Florida is next week by the way. Speaking of which, there is an explosion of tournaments and local pinball venues in the last ten years too. All of these things came after the influx of people became a flood and not before. Finally the surge in home users has created the greatest evolution in pinball - the topper. (Just threw that in to piss people off, but I do love a well made topper).

#16 2 years ago
    Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

people that care about pinball, now its all flippers and people out to fuck you for $1. Especially the 2 yr and under crowd.

Few, I just made it.

#17 2 years ago
    Quoted from ralphwiggum:

The main reason being that they took the initiative to freeze out accounts of posters that would stir the pot at any given opportunity. I come here to unwind, not to listen to a bunch of adults act worse than a bunch of whiny children.

Do you feel that they've succeeded with that? I sure as heck don't. There's still plenty of people on here that are just completely incapable of having a debate about a topic without it turning into a toxic mess. Differences of opinion that we all used to shrug and laugh about now are practically a "You might ACTUALLY get dox'ed" moment.....or in Kaneda's case, some prick might actually contact your employer and try to get you fired. The intolerance of anyone that has different ideas than your own here is so high at this point we're having to quantify it with scientific notation.

And a lot of it is the same guys that have been here since....10 years ago.

#18 2 years ago

It’s just the evolution of a hobby or an event that gets popular.

I used to be real into the Burning Man festival. Back in the day you could just stroll up to the gate with cash and hand and buy a ticket from the gate. Now is instant sellout and if you get a ticket it’s worth x4 the original cost. The people who went camped in tents and were from all walks of life. Now it’s mega rvs full of ppl looking for great instragram pics (not saying all guest are like that but they’re definitely there).

Either adapted to it or step back because you can try but you won’t be able to turn back to the good old days. I stopped going to Burning Man and am fine with it. Love the memories and friends I made there.

Back on topic…
    I do miss the old days when 75% of Pinside arguments were settled in bikini pics.

#19 2 years ago

Speaking of podcasts, I don't think there's much question that today's podcasts are slicker, more current, and really probably better for most part, personally though I miss the mellow no drama podcasts of old. I think it's pretty reflective of the overall change in the hobby as well. For better or worse (probably some of each)

#20 2 years ago

People who have passed away and the simplicity of just wanting to help or learn and enjoy the hobby.

#21 2 years ago

It seems like these days people look for reasons to get upset and offended, and there is much more of an "us vs them" mentality.

Years ago, if folks disagreed on something, they would just shake it off, shake hands, and then have a laugh together in next ridiculous thread that came along.

#22 2 years ago

I’ve only been on here for about 5 1/2 years (wow! Time flies!). And it is markedly different here than it used to be. Part of that is I think the insane political stuff that people just can’t help but post (I’m guilty of this on occasion too), and part of it is a lot of folks have moved on for whatever reason. Prices being nuts perhaps

I’m not sure if this is just a US thing but we’ve got to be better about shaking it off, agreeing to disagree, and walking away from people who are just being d-bags because they get a kick out of it. Don’t engage.

Anyway, I’m still very glad for this site

#23 2 years ago
    Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

Hey easy now!

#24 2 years ago

I miss pinside before there was a forum.

#25 2 years ago

It’s tough to be a causal Pinside user now, there is simply so much posted it makes following along to some threads impossible, but that said the volume of posts is indicative of how far the hobby has come and that makes me feel pretty good about it’s future.

#26 2 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Do you feel that they've succeeded with that?

I feel like they have done a ton better. It used to be really easy to know a users ID and know that person would usually be stoking a flame somewhere. Now, there may be a few users that are more outspoken, but nowhere near as toxic as the others in the past. And definitely not littering damn near every thread with their white noise.

#27 2 years ago

When I first joined Pinside, it was all about new Sterns and late 90’s Bally/Williams titles. EM’s and early solid state games were looked down on as “outdated” with a reputation for being slow, shallow and boring.

Now I’m happy to say that older games are much more widely appreciated and many are in high demand.

#28 2 years ago

i do not enjoy the "my whole collection is NIB LE's that are less than 5yo" that seems to dominate Pinside

#29 2 years ago

I miss the baywatch thread with wantdataeast
    fd3265778fc5dd6b9d1357df5547dab99e8c2619.giffd3265778fc5dd6b9d1357df5547dab99e8c2619.gif
    I miss @thehumanatee's great gifs from those threads

#30 2 years ago

Mike Chestnut

#31 2 years ago

o-din

#32 2 years ago
    Quoted from PopBumperPete:

i do not enjoy the "my whole collection is NIB LE's that are less than 5yo" that seems to dominate Pinside

And those that act as if nothing more than five years old is any good.

There doesn’t seem to be much appreciation for the history and evolution of pinball and that each generation of games has something special to offer.

#33 2 years ago

Not Pinside as much as being able to get machines. 10 years ago you could sell a game you liked. If you missed it, you could just buy another copy. Now I wouldn’t dare sell a game I still enjoy playing, because I’d never get another, or I’d pay twice as much to get it again. That’s crazy.

As an example of that, Grand Lizard. I’d love to bring another back into the house. I’d have to pay more than I paid for my Stern Mustang to get it now. I’m sure it would hold its new value, but I just don’t want to pay that much.

So I’ll add a new game or a trade once in a while, but mostly I’ll play what I have. Fortunately it’s enough games that I don’t get bored.

#34 2 years ago

I don't know when I first found pinside, but I know I lurked a few years before creating an account. I was on RGP as far back as 1995, the first time I had internet access as a freshman in college.

Pinside used to be a tight-knit group of people with a common interest that could joke around about anything and everything. It seemed nothing short of being illegal was off-limits. So many discussions were hilarious. Even though I didn't post much or at all, I felt like I knew a lot of the pinsiders. Early each day at work I couldn't wait to check out what crazy hijinks happened overnight on here.

At some point, Pinside became more of a monetary venture for Robin, and a lot of the new users. Content that was once allowed and even encouraged was now banned. We had to be policed in order not to offend each other and sensitive new users that could affect the revenue the site generates. The internet and society as a whole became more politically correct and easily offended by things that used to be laughed about or easily ignored if you didn't find them funny. A lot of message boards I frequented have died as they reached critical mass, changed what they were originally about, and died fairly swift deaths when the users found new places that were more like what their favorite sites used to be.

For me, Pinside isn't really enjoyable anymore. Sure I check it a few times a day, mainly to visit 3 or 4 threads I have saved as favorites, but other than that it's more of a habit that something I want to do.

#35 2 years ago

Just started the thread before boarding a flight...I'll have some catching up to do when I get home...

#36 2 years ago

Big time!!

#37 2 years ago

Loneacer bout sized it up.

#38 2 years ago

Did people talk more/ spend more on mods before even having the game back then? Probably the weirdest thing to me

#39 2 years ago

Also convinced there are massive #'s that barely play , really learn to work on the games as in the past....these toys are so expensive....flipping is a much larger portion of the community imho..

#40 2 years ago
    Quoted from loneacer:

I don't know when I first found pinside, but I know I lurked a few years before creating an account. I was on RGP as far back as 1995, the first time I had internet access as a freshman in college.
    Pinside used to be a tight-knit group of people with a common interest that could joke around about anything and everything. It seemed nothing short of being illegal was off-limits. So many discussions were hilarious. Even though I didn't post much or at all, I felt like I knew a lot of the pinsiders. Early each day at work I couldn't wait to check out what crazy hijinks happened overnight on here.
    At some point, Pinside became more of a monetary venture for Robin, and a lot of the new users. Content that was once allowed and even encouraged was now banned. We had to be policed in order not to offend each other and sensitive new users that could affect the revenue the site generates. The internet and society as a whole became more politically correct and easily offended by things that used to be laughed about or easily ignored if you didn't find them funny. A lot of message boards I frequented have died as they reached critical mass, changed what they were originally about, and died fairly swift deaths when the users found new places that were more like what their favorite sites used to be.
    For me, Pinside isn't really enjoyable anymore. Sure I check it a few times a day, mainly to visit 3 or 4 threads I have saved as favorites, but other than that it's more of a habit that something I want to do.

Agreed. I kinda feel the same about the whole world and people in general to be honest. But, can we change it? I used to be the same way- totally looking forward to the laughs and comradery every night, and "catching up" on all the stuff. Did we just "let them win"? Can we resurrect the fun with the old "gang" that's still here but has been beaten into submission? I don't know, but I'll start by saying Merry Christmas!!

#41 2 years ago

For me the overall switch from a cheapskate to rich hobby affects every other part of pinball.

Quoted from MK6PIN:

Did people talk more/ spend more on mods before even having the game back then? Probably the weirdest thing to me

8500 machine with 1000 in mods for sale; 200 plays.

#42 2 years ago

My old friends and good guys that aren’t here anymore for whatever reason.

A lot are still here, you being one Mark, but it’s totally different now. And not really in a good way

#43 2 years ago
    Quoted from TheDarkKnight68:

Agreed. I kinda feel the same about the whole world and people in general to be honest. But, can we change it? I used to be the same way- totally looking forward to the laughs and comradery every night, and "catching up" on all the stuff. Did we just "let them win"?

That's very true. It kills me when I keep hearing "that show would never get made today" when people talk about sitcoms from the 90s and 00s like The Office, Seinfeld, and Friends. Love them or hate them, were they really that offensive? What's that leave for future "comedies"?

#44 2 years ago

I have not changed at all, this thread;

one of my first threads 9 years ago;
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/when-did-nib-collecting-become-mainstream

#45 2 years ago
    Quoted from loneacer:

That's very true. It kills me when I keep hearing "that show would never get made today" when people talk about sitcoms from the 90s and 00s like The Office, Seinfeld, and Friends. Love them or hate them, were they really that offensive? What's that leave for future "comedies"?

all three of those could stills be made today. All in the Family though…

#46 2 years ago
    Quoted from The_Pump_House:

all three of those could stills be made today. All in the Family though…

All In The Family crossed my mind. It was before my time, and I've only seen clips, but I know what you mean. I've specifically heard it said about all 3 of those though. There's some bits of each that wouldn't fly today for sure.

#47 2 years ago

I have not changed at all, this thread;

one of my first threads 9 years ago;
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/when-did-nib-collecting-become-mainstream

Agreed - the “standard lineup” isn’t a new phenomenon. When I first joined, the basic collectors had a Monster Bash, Medieval Madness (“classics”), Tron and AC/DC (brand new at the time). Now it’s Metallica, MMr and three games from the last 12 months.

Pins are expensive toys and, as such, they’re status symbols. I think a lot of people would rather get what’s popular, rather than explore their individual tastes. Some folks might love a Stargate or a Gilligan’s Island, but would never buy one because of what people would think.

#48 2 years ago

Bummer that PinSide has changed so much. Really miss Centerflanks antics (Stern box glory hole was fun). Shade will come my way, but Kanadas substance abuse rants were actually somewhat truthful and interesting; like watching the Titanic sink. Also really miss RotoDaves travels around the world (had visual in Durango and San Francisco). Who remembers the thread when BlondTail was congratulated for becoming a Mod? That was a tight community. Oh, we also only had Stern keeping things going, along with the extremely long wait for JJP WOZ.

Sorry, but now it is a bunch of bitching an whining about playfield quality and resale value, really, why? We all love pinball, that is why we are here.

#49 2 years ago
    Quoted from OilGuy:

Also really miss RotoDaves travels around the world (had visual in Durango and San Francisco)

They might return one day … when we can travel again.

rd

#50 2 years ago

I search a lot for repair help and it’s always tough when I see a great topic filled with usernames listed as “inactive” a lot of knowledge has disappeared.
    Some old threads you’d track down some great advice in 1-2 posts. Now we spend 2 pages arguing about fuse direction or the best multimeter. Without actually helping anyone besides saying “did you check for fuses” “what about a loose wire”

There are 228 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-do-you-miss-or-has-changed-on-pinside-in-the-past-10-years?hl=carlo45 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.