15axo5 (resized).jpg
download (resized).jpg
Hot dog (resized).jpg
44867678_10213735445166481_5791874878827134976_n (resized).jpg
three (resized).jpg
Nuh uh.gif
C680238D-64EB-4057-A9FD-2D4A373B59B6 (resized).jpeg
3630C226-0C7E-43CC-92D6-E3A4F8FEF427 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Ferret.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#28 5 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

If Josh is reading this; I hope he can find a way to stack tent modes and/or steins

ALL the steins you collect stack for the entire game. There are huge strategic options around choosing steins wisely based on whatever game plan you want to pursue.

#52 5 years ago
Quoted from Jackontherocks:

Always hate the low scoring system from JJP and American pinball.

So, honest question: why? I hear this criticism from time to time, but don't really get it. Obviously it's trivial for us to multiply all the scores through by 10, or 50, or 100, or 1000, or whatever factor we want to nudge the typical scores into a particular range, but none of that really changes anything.

FWIW, the overall scoring levels of Oktoberfest were designed so that 1 million is a "very good" but reasonably achievable score for mere mortals. This just felt like a good conversational breakpoint... you can humblebrag to your friends "yeah, I got a million on Oktoberfest last night". Just seems a little smoother than the equivalent, perhaps, "yeah, I got two hundred million on Maiden last night". Using lower scoring ranges also has a nice side effect of being able to draw score values on the screen in larger font so they're easier to read.

#71 5 years ago
Quoted from wolfemaaan:

What is the strategy of this game?

Tons of strategy in the game. Biggest strategic element is the steins: there are 14 of them, and each stein boosts some playfield feature globally (e.g. higher spinner value, easier roller coaster locks, longer playfield X timer) and also boosts the value of a specific tent. You can collect as many steins as you want, including multiples of the same stein, and all of their abilities stack.

Plenty of other strategic choices as well: which tent features (modes) to play, and when. Caution around locking balls in the beer barrel in multi-player games, because those locks can be stolen by other players. Even stuff like whether you want to use your MagNabs to catch the ball at the top lanes (advance playfield X) or to catch the ball at the UR flipper for easier shots at the bartender or the beer barrel lock ramp.

I love the strategic elements of pinball, and I've made sure there's no shortage here... while, I hope, still keeping the game approachable and fun for less experienced players.

#83 5 years ago
Quoted from twisty4678:

Joe said there will be an award down the line for sweeping them.

Once (ONCE!) I got the perfect 7-at-once sweep on the OKTOBER bank. First shot of the game, I was so surprised when every light lit up. It’ll probably get a little easier as a machine ages a bit and the target foam softens some.

And yes, scoring is progressively higher for bigger target sweeps, that was one of the first rules I coded.

#109 5 years ago
Quoted from marcand:

Looooooooooooooooooonnnnnnnnggggggg ball times for average players. Could be bad on route, but good for home

One thing to be aware of here is that we intentionally left some pretty generous software settings with regard to ball save timers and outlane save rules... I think the outlane posts were also generous. We knew that people would probably be waiting in line for a long time to play, we didn't want anyone to come up and get a 1 minute game and be sent on their way unsatisfied. Accordingly, you should consider the ball times on the Oktoberfests at Expo to be somewhat longer than you'll be likely to see on a default-set route game.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

8,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dixon, CA
$ 7,795.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
$ 140.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 8,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,795.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,899.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 39.99
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 11.99
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Ferret.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-do-you-like-or-dislike-about-oktoberfest?tu=Ferret and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.