15axo5 (resized).jpg
download (resized).jpg
Hot dog (resized).jpg
44867678_10213735445166481_5791874878827134976_n (resized).jpg
three (resized).jpg
Nuh uh.gif
C680238D-64EB-4057-A9FD-2D4A373B59B6 (resized).jpeg
3630C226-0C7E-43CC-92D6-E3A4F8FEF427 (resized).jpeg
There are 128 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 5 years ago

i was blown away from the preview of oktoberfest from american pinball. i loved the artwork and ramp cant wait to play it.. what do you think about Oktoberfest?

#2 5 years ago

I don't like beer but I like large breasted women so I'm torn.

#3 5 years ago

It's a game with the emphasis on having fun, and looks like it has a lot of personality.

#4 5 years ago

It was fun to play. Rollercoaster, keg, playfield toys were interesting.

A podcaster mentioned the art was a mix of styles reminding one of Where’s Waldo and on reflection that’s accurate.

One can debate the music and video as being incomplete, but beyond that the one change I would want is the screen showing more during play.

3630C226-0C7E-43CC-92D6-E3A4F8FEF427 (resized).jpeg3630C226-0C7E-43CC-92D6-E3A4F8FEF427 (resized).jpegC680238D-64EB-4057-A9FD-2D4A373B59B6 (resized).jpegC680238D-64EB-4057-A9FD-2D4A373B59B6 (resized).jpeg
#5 5 years ago

Fun pin, long ball times

#6 5 years ago

Looks interesting. But I can’t stand the face of the woman on the side of the cab...or anywhere in the art. Reminds me of Funhouse...and that dude freaks me out. Otherwise I dig the art. I can only go by pics though. Also think the people on the sides of the cab should be behind the Octoberfest name. Does look fun to play with lots of toys.

#7 5 years ago

If Josh is reading this; I hope he can find a way to stack tent modes and/or steins. Also, why are so many games doing selectable modes, what happened to traditional mode starts depending on where the blinky insert is. I really like how Dialed In and LOTR have mode starts that can be player controlled if good enough.

#8 5 years ago

I think it looks way cool.

It will be a great game to have in any line-up two months out of the year.

#9 5 years ago

this looks like a lot of fun. We need more original design ideas instead of licensed pins IMO.

#10 5 years ago

A silly light hearted unlicensed theme that looks like a ton of fun!

#11 5 years ago

I think they somehow created a game about Octoberfest which appeals to any age. Octoberfest which is normally associated with people in Lederhosen, bad music, college kids getting drunk, and women with huge chests. Well at least that is what I view it as but they avoided that mess and made it probably the best theme I would say for a family since like Dialed In. I knew they were going to pull it off when it was first rumoured and told Joe Balcer this at Pintastic. I only made 1 request however and told him to "don't be afraid of the pc culture and it's ok for women to be large chested BUT make it respectable". He laughed about it and agreed and again that just makes the game even better instead of a parody theme like "Woah Nellie".

The gameplay alone is a vast, very vast improvement over Houdini. Houdini is an ok'ish game but would have been much better if 1 or 2 ramps/shots were removed. Too much clutter and you have Williams Indiana Jones full of tight shots. They also have a "thing" in the game to entice you to play. Usually it's a bobble head or small toy but with Houdini it was the catapult. In this game it's that crazy wireform. Simple design but makes you say "oh wow cool look at the ball do that thing under the glass".

Oh and I also think they will sell a ton of them. This is the bread winner for them.

#12 5 years ago

I like their attention to detail and finding obscure fun facts and incorporating them into the game.

Like the monkey in Houdini with the band aids on his crotch, yes he's back in Octoberfest. And the ducks in liederhausen, apparently they have been a popular part of Octoberfest for some years. And Joe and Matt on the backglass. As well as where the monkey's two hands are.

Lots of great humor in this pin.

LTG : )

#13 5 years ago

When and where can i buy one? Love the carnival themed pins.

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from RyanStl:

this looks like a lot of fun. We need more original design ideas instead of licensed pins IMO.

Completely agree, this looks like a fun shooting pin and I can’t wait to try it. We’ll see if it ends up being like Dialed In, a pin that people couldn’t seem to wrap their heads around at first because it wasn’t based on a movie/super hero/rock band. They really criticized the theme and the artwork of DI when it was revealed, but after people got some playing time on it most thought it was one of the best pins to come out in awhile.

#15 5 years ago

I like the cross playfield shot to the beer barrel ball lock, I like that it’s a physical lock, and I like that you can steal locks.

The German dude moves around to roughly where the ball is, kinda like homer but much more smoothly due to the stepper motor.

The roller coaster wireforms is also fun, and reminds me a little bit of those Rube Goldberg gumball vending machines.

#16 5 years ago

Love the original theme. Art is just ok, it’s packed, and bet it shoots fantastic. Can’t wait to play it soon.
Dislike the sound direction a bit, especially the annoying rock music even if it is in line with the real Oktoberfest. Fine to visit but a no for a home game. Have read it was the designers intent so it probably won’t be changed.

#17 5 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

If Josh is reading this; I hope he can find a way to stack tent modes and/or steins. Also, why are so many games doing selectable modes, what happened to traditional mode starts depending on where the blinky insert is. I really like how Dialed In and LOTR have mode starts that can be player controlled if good enough.

Seems like you're contradicting yourself a bit there? Dialed In has selectable modes by hitting the buttons

#18 5 years ago
Quoted from BudManPinFan:

Completely agree, this looks like a fun shooting pin and I can’t wait to try it. We’ll see if it ends up being like Dialed In, a pin that people couldn’t seem to wrap their heads around at first because it wasn’t based on a movie/super hero/rock band. They really criticized the theme and the artwork of DI when it was revealed, but after people got some playing time on it most thought it was one of the best pins to come out in awhile.

When I saw Dialed In here on Pinside after it was revealed, I thought what a stupid idea for a game and this will be lame. Then I got a chance to play one, and I really loved it.

#19 5 years ago

From what I seen it looks very interesting and a good change from the superhero and rock pins. I Think this would be a fun change of pace in a home lineup. The music was cool not great but it could change before it’s released. I don’t know why but I dig the art package. I can’t wait to flip on this pin.

#20 5 years ago

I saw it at Expo but didn't get a chance to play it. It looked great in person. People I watched seemed to be really engaged in the game play. I'm a Houdini owner so I'm was really excited about the preview and I loved the theme. That being said, it's NOT a must buy for me yet. I'm really hoping that they clean up the art and animation package. Too many inconsistent styles of 2D, 3D and clipart-looking stuff.

API, come on with the weak animation. I could look past it on Houdini but you've got to do better than this in the animation department. Please hire an art director that can pull the whole package together. And find an animator. There's got to be thousands of hungry, talented animators that can bring this theme to life.

Plus, remove the vanity images of the API guys from the backglass. Can't stand to look at the dude with the ear gauges... uggh.

#21 5 years ago

Haven't played yet, but from what I've seen, it's a pin I look forward to coming across on location but probably would not consider buying unless the art package was revised. Overall, much more appealing to me than Houdini was. API should be very proud of themselves for getting such a great project together.

Likes: seemingly very good flow, lots of stuff to do (neat magnet gimmicks, custom pop toppers, beer-barrel physical lock, sculpted bash toy, really whimsical wireforms), I like the wackiness of the theme and the overall layout. I would take this over anything Stern has put out in the last few years except maybe Maiden.

Dislikes: the photographic artwork and incohesive overall design. I feel like the playfield is a very good sketch right now (in terms of composition and layout) and API needs to hire an illustrator to redraw everything with a unified style. The Mortal Kombat - style rasterized photographs of people standing in line on the translite are a "that thing isn't going in my house"-level dealbreaker.

(there is other stuff I'd quibble about, particularly the callouts, that could be fixed with a code update, but the playfield/cabinet/translite art is in desperate need of revision before it goes into production IMHO).

#22 5 years ago

Theme sucks a bit.

#23 5 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

I really like how Dialed In and LOTR have mode starts that can be player controlled if good enough.

I think you meant to say “SKB enough.”

#24 5 years ago

It didn't grab me, but I'm not a huge fan of most games with long ball times.

#25 5 years ago
Quoted from NimblePin:

I think you meant to say “SKB enough.”

haha, im slowing down in my old age...hmmm, maybe selectable modes is up my alley after all

#26 5 years ago

it runs on commercially available hardware

#27 5 years ago

I played it and it was indeed fun.

Fun theme that is probably much more inviting to more people than the usual grandpaw bands and old movies.

#28 5 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

If Josh is reading this; I hope he can find a way to stack tent modes and/or steins

ALL the steins you collect stack for the entire game. There are huge strategic options around choosing steins wisely based on whatever game plan you want to pursue.

#29 5 years ago

The cabinets are hideous!

#30 5 years ago

The wireforms are awesome! Gameplay is a bit slow

#31 5 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

It didn't grab me, but I'm not a huge fan of most games with long ball times.

I don’t know how it was set up, maybe needs to open wide outlanes
When you get tons of modes, the game is usually designed to get longer ball time.

Personnaly, i really like all what I can see and the general artwork. Flippers is particularly Munich, I love that. Characters and in their traditional clothes, barrel lock toys, steins inserts all really dive you in the german Oktoberfest theme...except this metal music that I do dislike as it sound antithetical to me. If someone of the AP team can assure me I can change this part of the game, I could be in unless I think to put my money on other game like ACNC.

#32 5 years ago

Played it and I say its a hundred times better than Houdini.

#33 5 years ago

Surprising Pin, like how detailed the art is made, do not like the form of the backbox. The rest time will tell.

#34 5 years ago

Looks fun I am excited to play one but it's definitely something I would not own. To many other new games coming out I rather see and I just don't like the Oktoberfest theme.

#35 5 years ago

I really dislike the art style and the cabinet art especially as mentioned is atrocious looking. Animations are lackluster and sounds from what I could tell aren't great, or the call outs. Other than that though, the two games I did put in was pretty fun! Interesting shots, layout, neat ramps, diverters. I'm definitely looking forward to playing it more once it's out.

#36 5 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

ALL the steins you collect stack for the entire game. There are huge strategic options around choosing steins wisely based on whatever game plan you want to pursue.

Cool thanks for the feedback! I wonder if it would work to have steins stacked per ball rather than per game; kind of give it another layer of strategy and risk/reward?

Then if you could stack 2 or 3 tent modes on top; you could really get the game revving on all cylinders.

EDIT: I’d also like to add that having to play the same mode in a game more than once is so tiresome. Maybe it’s just me, but that element of only getting one shot at a mode is what makes me want to press start again. Then, depending on how you do in that mode correlates to what opens up next; scoring reward, prize reward, stein reward, wizard mode reward, etc...Playing the same mode 2, 3, 4 times in one game Just adds monotonous gameplay.

Think of games like TF, ST, X-men, AS, DP (B list coders) vs TWD, WOZ, DI, MET, LOTR, IMDN (A list coders). The A team doesn’t replay modes; i.e. here’s your shot to make magic happen...ahh you drained, try another mode or play again when you’re done and see how you do next time.

#37 5 years ago
Quoted from colonel_caverne:

I don’t know how it was set up, maybe needs to open wide outlanes
When you get tons of modes, the game is usually designed to get longer ball time.

Totally, I think it's probably going to be a deep game. I'm sure it will be the right pinball machine for a number of people.

#38 5 years ago

Really don't like the funky head style on either OF.
But most of all I don't like the fact that I can't afford one.

#39 5 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

I agree and I like that about Houdini, the FILM modes are random (unless you set the order in settings) but for the illusions if you are good enough you can decide what illusion you're going to start. That type of play reminds me more of some of the 90s B/W games too. I like GOTG but every time I play it I'm using the Flipper buttons to decide what mode I want to start (hint, I always use the same or nearly the same order).

#40 5 years ago
Quoted from BrooklynDrug:

Theme sucks a bit.

Nuh uh.gifNuh uh.gif

#41 5 years ago

Played it...really liked it...hoping the price is inline with Houdini...if so I’m in!

#42 5 years ago
Quoted from ezelljon:

I look forward to coming across on location but probably would not consider buying unless the art package was revised.

feel similar. when i have non-pinheads over I want the thing to look "quality" at least. I couldn't say the same for Oktoberfest art.. not in 2018.. if the art was like that and it was data east / Jurassic park era you could explain it away as the time period when the game was made. I do like the theme, I do hope to play it.. i was actually interested in this theme to own (home brewer, my friends and I partake in the craft beer scene around town) but I don't want something that looks this amateurish in the art department. Sorry for being blunt about it

Quoted from valgalder:

I really dislike the art style and the cabinet art especially as mentioned is atrocious looking. Animations are lackluster and sounds from what I could tell aren't great, or the call outs. Other than that though, the two games I did put in was pretty fun! Interesting shots, layout, neat ramps, diverters. I'm definitely looking forward to playing it more once it's out.

Glad to see it's not just the photos we're seeing

#43 5 years ago

Played it not expecting much she absolutely loved every aspect of this game. Mugs Ale House will get one early and maybe Rt 66 BBQ near the South Street Seaport

#44 5 years ago

You all (haters) will change your minds after playing this one.

#45 5 years ago
Quoted from gmanrulz46:

... what do you think about Oktoberfest?

I dig it! Theme and all. Sounds like Krystle Gemnich and Jeff Teolis do too based on the latest Head2Head podcast aired today.

The art's crowded, but festivals are too so that kind of helps convey the theme even more. Lots of refinements and added features coming from AP yet too.

Quoted from o-din:

I think it looks way cool.
It will be a great game to have in any line-up two months out of the year.

Perhaps we can work out a share plan. I'll take it the other 10 months.

#46 5 years ago

Play it first then comment. It's awesome, and yes I played it

#47 5 years ago

Sorry, theme is def a weak theme. Houdini was good but this ones a big miss.

#48 5 years ago

Houdini I knew I wanted it before I played it....here is why.
The theme is exciting, game features set a new standard "bang for buck" really got me interested early and the music package started out great even early on.
The dedication of the staff to interact with the community really made me believe in the product and want to support the company.
Going to the live seminars at SFGE sealed the deal and got my money.

Oktoberfest:
Theme- I can get past and I see why they went with it. Smart IMO but the art package overall doesn't jive to me.
The cab art -roof line looks odd but again I can see where they were going with it. If I were a kid I can see the people at eye level then the roof line then the festival in the back round. Problem is I am looking one foot down on the brown band of shingles and it just looks off. The back glass to sides do not flow.
Playfield - very bright which I like but the rest of the package (cab art - side blades art) there is a disconnect again IMO.

Game features - they "rocked it" pardon the pun and bang for the buck is still there with AP.
Would have like a bit more scaling of the toys and detailed bumper cars but that is being picky.

I still believe in the company as a whole just think there is a disconnect art wise and there is much to be seen in the completing of the project.
They stated its 30% there and I believe them from what I saw viewing the streaming.

Unfortunately I am out till I play one and will re evaluate. Hoping to see great animation and completion of the rules and music integration.
Hoping for a rethink on the art package building around the playfield.

Some talented person here on pinside mock something up to support the playfield and see if the vibe changes.

#49 5 years ago

Played it at expo , I really liked it gameplay was fun felt like a good shooting pin, cool features, early code was already pretty good . I like the theme , artwork was not great but not bad enough to be a total turn off for me . This pin has my interest for sure .

#50 5 years ago

I like the concept of stein collecting, like the mystery ducks, and the two ball locks. Crazy wireforms are fun. Not sure how the player-controlled magnets will work, but the option of snagging the ball with them is different and interesting. Third flipper is a welcome element. The caricatured art fits the theme, but Houdini art is more impressive overall. I look forward to playing it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 39.99
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,795.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 11.99
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

Playfield - Other
RavSpec

8,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dixon, CA
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 8,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

6,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 140.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,899.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 7,795.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 128 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-do-you-like-or-dislike-about-oktoberfest?hl=konjurer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.