(Topic ID: 242640)

What do you guys do that you can afford pinball?

By Trooper11040

5 months ago

Topic Stats

• 434 posts
  • 258 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 17 days ago by ReadyPO
  • Topic is favorited by 16 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 39 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Chart (resized).png
    FDE99495-F8E6-4A65-8BD1-6DA80A8C28B5 (resized).png
    cans (resized).jpg
    20190527_134402 (resized).png
    ted van gogh U (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20190514-185248_Gallery (resized).jpg
    8B5CC1C3-A7F9-43F3-82A0-404B76E7F5AD (resized).jpeg
    39B8A5FB-D35C-4FB2-AA2F-ED1DE52F23D7 (resized).jpeg
    modeling (resized).jpg
    F9532CF1-2A68-4908-9AB6-38E0759BB381 (resized).jpeg
    80628117-6CFB-472C-B267-4CC01EFC99BA (resized).jpeg
    41P57DEZ44L.jpg
    IMG_1953 (resized).PNG
    CT 1 (resized).jpg
    375F0834-0EF6-4F81-9AD0-C89E1E2D1EFA (resized).jpeg
    A4767244-A3DA-440D-B781-7A6B76183F8A (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider konjurer.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#192 5 months ago

Software engineer. Yes, a real engineer. I make pretty freaking good money and yet I'm amazed at how people who seem to make a fraction of what I make have many pins and buy NIB. I didn't start buying pins until I was out of debt and my retirement investments were well over the $750K mark. I still don't feel I can buy a NIB every year. I'm hoping to be able to buy a NIB every 2 years until I have a collection of 4 or 5 games.

#306 5 months ago
    Quoted from PinJim:

Define out of debt? Literally no mortgage, car payments or credit card debt? How old are you?

I'm 57 now. Completely out of debt except we did move to a larger home a few years ago and have a smaller mortgage again but we had our previous home paid off. So no debt except the house upgrade which we could pay off with cash but the interest rate is lower than the 5% municipal bonds where that money is parked today. We pay off the credit cards each month and pay for cars with cash. Probably had everything paid off after doing the Dave Ramsey thing about 8 years ago.

#308 5 months ago
    Quoted from MEuRaH:

I'm not a millennial by any means, but these kids have it a lot tougher than you ever did. College loans can keep a kid in debt until they turn 60. Getting a job means they have to take a year or two in unpaid internships. A job without an education won't be able to support yourself, let alone a family, like they used to be able to do back in the 60s.

Sorry, I gotta disagree with part of your post. Kids don't have it tougher. If you have college loans that take until you're 60 then you've made poor choices in attaining your education. I see that all around me. Parents that allow their kids to go to out-of-state schools and take degrees that are not in demand do their child no favor. Community colleges are extremely affordable and then transfer to a 4 year in-state college, or a private college that can provide a great financial package. Believe or not, there are kids that come out of college with no debt and no parental assistance.

Swinging back to the topic, the biggest indicator of financial success is the ability to delay gratification. I worry about the people that make $40K and have a collection of NIB games. In this scenario, if you haven't been putting money back towards retirement you're being irresponsible. Start with a $500 pin and work your way up to a nice collection over time while saving and avoiding debt. Just one guy's opinion... but I'm right

https://jamesclear.com/delayed-gratification

#326 5 months ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

thinking "allow" one or two NIB pins to someone who makes $40K?
    What is the quantity level vs. income that you feel is ok/you wouldn't worry aboot someone anymore?
    At what income level would you "approve" of someone having a collection of NIB pins?

Pretty snarky response... Did I cut to close to home? I worry because I know people that do this... Actually most of Americans haven't self funded their retirement and have no emergency fund. In my opinion, that's a problem if you're out buying pinball machines, expensive vacations or bass boats. It sucks to see friends having to work shitty jobs to make ends meet when they should be thinking about retirement. Additionally, it places an unfair financial burden on those who saved while others blow their through their income.

#342 5 months ago
    Quoted from investingdad:

I'll never regret that day at 23 when I created an Excel spreadsheet and figured out what the compounding would look like if I started investing 15% of my 33k salary starting that week and sticking with it. So I did. It was slow going for awhile, but numbers don't lie and time was in my side. My future wife was on board, too. Compounding. Steady investing regardless of what the market did. Let the years roll by. Don't waver and live below your means. At 45... afford whatever pinball I want, but stop after one.

Amen investingdad! There is no reason why everyone in this country doesn't retire a millionaire and be able to buy any machine they want. You can have a starter pinball machine at any age and income and build your way up. However you are not doing yourself any favors by blowing all of your income on NIB pins early in life.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 199.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Medisinyl Mods
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Flashinstinct
    $ 25.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    $ 24.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 199.99
    $ 27.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 10.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Mods for your pinballs
    $ 28.95
    $ 129.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 28.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Pinball Mod Co.
    $ 89.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Great American Pinball
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 8.00
    Cabinet Parts
    RPGCor
    $ 109.99
    $ 14.99
    Hardware
    Chroma Pinball
    $ 72.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 87.00
    Displays
    PinballSolutions.eu
    $ 14.95

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider konjurer.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside