Topic Stats

• 36 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by o-din
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

Well it’s that time in life again where I NEED another game! Yes you know where the games you have are great and all but you NEED another game because well hell you just want it! So this is where the problems set in like
A you haven’t got enough cash
B you haven’t got enough room
C you don’t know what you want!
D nothing’s for sale :’(
E you don’t know what to sell

So I kind of sit in the B, D and E categories. Cash isn’t the greatest of problems although I want to kind of keep the collection $$ down so selling something is probably a better idea than purely adding. And this is where B and E come into the picture. B I don’t have enough damn room! So therefore E something has to go! And here’s where the problem really lays! I’ve got 4 100% keepers 1 75% keeper and 1 70% keeper.

100% keeper pry them out of my cold dead hands list...
My restored WH2O my first ever grail pin that I changed the playfield on and installed new ramps looks awesome and plays great too.
TWDLE! Enough said this game is fking amazing! Borg and Lyman brutal beauty!
WOZ it’s pretty it’s deep I love it
Xmen Magneto such a fast fun game. Well integrated and definitely has that one more game feel.

75% keeper
Iron man. Another great Borg and Lyman collaboration! Fast, fast and hard as nails. Removed the outline posts and just barely missed out on do or die!

70% keeper
Metallica premium roadcase! Yeah I know how is this the last on the list. Great game but follows the previous 5 games and isn’t quite a keeper!

So I’m not quite sick of Metallica but by no means ready to sell it or iron man. So what do I do? I’ve put out a feeler for a trade but not much has come by. I’m thinking Star Wars stern prem/Le, maiden prem or GOTG prem/le to fill Metallica’s spot but I don’t want to sell Metallica but need the space! Damn this hobby!

#2 5 years ago

I have the problem of not wanting to sell anything. Occasionally I’ll get a pin which doesn’t resonate such as XMLE which I wanted to sell. That was not too hard but I still had regrets after sold. However if one pin replaces it, not too bad.

I sold my prior old collection and replaced with Tron, IM, AcDc, Tspp, SM.

After which I have been able to add games without selling, have gone form 5 to 11 pins in the past 6 years.

I still find occasion to sell when lately sold

STLE great game but was worth everything I had paid maybe more, and I didn’t love it as much as SM so it was ok to sell and got me fully to a Woz RR.

LotR was a GREAT game but was not getting played a lot. I hated to sell but just wanted something that I would play more so sold and replaced with DI LE.

Usually when I get a feeling to sell something, I’ll start to play it more often to see if it’s going to grab me. I was thinking to sell Tron but got to playing it and decided that I don’t want some new game more than I want to keep Tron.

I still have room but each pin is getting harder to choose. I like all the recent Stern titles but can’t decide because so many other pins are also great. I got AFM LE without selling anything and honestly think it’s the best pin ever. I think Woz is better made and has so much more to see but AFM has me playing 5-10 games at a time.

#3 5 years ago

My keepers
(3 latest but also imo the greatest)
AFM LE
Woz RR
DI LE

These 3 aren’t worth enough for me to *ever* sell. If they are worth less than $6000 I’ll just keep forever.
TWD pro
Met pro
IM VE

Maybe can sell but need a great offer
Acdc premium
PotC
Tspp
SM
Tron

#4 5 years ago

Part of the problem for me is the rising price of new pins, if a premium Stern is $7400 and I can only sell SM or PotC for $5K then I’m going to really need to love the new premium to make the trade.

I got AFM LE, Woz RR and DI LE for $7800-8200 range so that’s quite a bit of cabbage. I was buying games like Tron, IM, Met pro, TWD pro SM, PotC, LotR in the $4600-5k range. I could have got 5 games for the price of 3 LE pins. So I’m a lot more careful before dropping anything on a new pin because they seem to be a lot more money nowadays.

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I have the problem of not wanting to sell anything. Occasionally I’ll get a pin which doesn’t resonate such as XMLE which I wanted to sell. That was not too hard but I still had regrets after sold. However if one pin replaces it, not too bad.

And that’s the feeling I get with Metallica. It’s there but not quite there but when you get to crank it up it’s sooo there.

#6 5 years ago

I have the same issue. I have a few that have gotten stale over the years (Congo/TOM/MMr) that I don't play much anymore. I consider changing them up for some new stuff, but......what if I miss them after they are gone? haha. I'm a hoarder.

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

I have the same issue. I have a few that have gotten stale over the years (Congo/TOM/MMr) that I don't play much anymore. I consider changing them up for some new stuff, but......what if I miss them after they are gone? haha. I'm a hoarder.

Me too it’s hoardable! Luckily horde mode in TWDLE is AMAZEBALLS! It’s completely painful when you do enjoy ALL the games you have and don’t really want to sell any

#8 5 years ago

Did you end up selling The Hobbit? I sold woz ruby red for pirates which is coming.What about selling x men for dead pool.

#9 5 years ago

I’m a hoarder too. My buddy mike always has 2-5 pins but just rotates them out every se often.

I don’t like to sell, even PotC have had forever, just got to 4 Winds wizard mode, so I figure maybe try to get a bit farther in that mode but it not easy to get there. But I probably have seen 98% of what this pin has to offer.

But other pins like Tspp TWD and Woz I have so much yet to see. Like I’m just at the beginning of what there is to do.

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

Did you end up selling The Hobbit? I sold woz ruby red for pirates which is coming.What about selling x men for dead pool.

Yeah I end up selling the hobbit before the new code drop but that I had my time with and managed to get what I paid for. Not a chance at selling xmen it’s a complete and utter sleeper great game and I haven’t gotten to either of the wizard modes and I’ve owned it since new.

Deadpool LOOK AMAZING and then I heard it and was like yeah I don’t think that’s for me.

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I’m a hoarder too. My buddy mike always has 2-5 pins but just rotates them out every se often.
I don’t like to sell, even PotC have had forever, just got to 4 Winds wizard mode, so I figure maybe try to get a bit farther in that mode but it not easy to get there. But I probably have seen 98% of what this pin has to offer.
But other pins like Tspp TWD and Woz I have so much yet to see. Like I’m just at the beginning of what there is to do.

I’m the same. Wh2o I think I’m completed once. Got to vacation jackpot and it was sooo satisfying and also completed wet Willy’s which is also Uber satisfying. Ah 1st world problems...

#12 5 years ago

Im an air traffic controller! skipped reading anything in this thread!

#13 5 years ago

I am in the same position. I have 3 pins; Metallica, AFMRLE, and GnR. I want to stick with 3 pins, and really don't want to put much more money into the game room.

GnR is probably the one to go, and I have listed it off and on for a couple of years now. Right now, my best choice would be to trade it for a used Hobbit, but I don't know how likely that is. I have had an offer to trade for a new Hobbit, but I don't want to spend that much to cover the price difference.

I don't play it often right now, but Metallica is the keeper of the group. I am not a good player, and have only scored more than 100 million twice on Metallica in 4 years, but those were really fun games. AFMR is fun, but even when I first got it, I still played Metallica more.

In the ops case, I would probably trade Met for Maiden. The layout of GOTG layout seemed super similar to Met when I played it, so I probably wouldn't trade for that one, unless you just like the theme a lot more.

#14 5 years ago

I'm a professional bum.

There's no such thing as a keeper. Stop using the term.

#15 5 years ago

I dont overthink the situation, When I find a Machine I love and there's money in the bank I'm buying it. I dont go out drinking nightly, I dont use drugs and honestly I dont care for the garbage they are producing on TV nowadays. Pinball is my vice. Hahaha

#16 5 years ago

I have space for 5 games, and that is pretty much it until we move (which based on prices where I live, may be never). We got a quote for $30K to expand the basement. Yikes. Not sure that's a good move. 300K for basement, living room and upstairs master suite/bathroom/closet. Seems high.

Anyway, I need to get rid of at least 1 game, but want to get 3 more (DW, TH, IMDN). no space! No other options really. I really want to get another DW, which only fits in 1 spot in my basement due to the height, And which is currently occupied by Houdini. Money isn't as much an issue but I really need time and $$ to get our house better organized.

#17 5 years ago

Do you have a bed? A bedroom? All you really "need" is a couch. Move that bed out and then you have yourself room for at least a couple more pins. problem SOLVED! And you saved a lot of money on a renovation, and you can sell your bed to help purchase your new machines.

Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I have space for 5 games, and that is pretty much it until we move (which based on prices where I live, may be never). We got a quote for $30K to expand the basement. Yikes. Not sure that's a good move. 300K for basement, living room and upstairs master suite/bathroom/closet. Seems high.
Anyway, I need to get rid of at least 1 game, but want to get 3 more (DW, TH, IMDN). no space! No other options really. I really want to get another DW, which only fits in 1 spot in my basement due to the height, And which is currently occupied by Houdini. Money isn't as much an issue but I really need time and $$ to get our house better organized.

#18 5 years ago

I bought my wife some jewelry while we were in Florence Italy on the ponte vecchio on vacation. Unexpectedly on the way back to the hotel she says “I don’t think I need that big storage space downstairs for my art supplies anymore. I think if you take off the door and make it into an archway you could get a couple more pinball machines in the House”. And that is how I went from 4 to 6 machines. lol

#19 5 years ago

The only game I'm keeping is MMr. And maybe Monster bash once I get it. All other games just cycle through. No heavy nostalgia for any other games. Hopefully something eventually comes out that rivals MM in theme integration, humor, flow etc.
Until then, there are no keepers.

43 games and counting cycled through in the last 15 years. I got to enjoy them. Fix them up And then other collectors or people new to the hobby got a chance to have them.

#20 5 years ago

All I can say is my BSD has outlasted all other pins I have owned.

#21 5 years ago
Quoted from Cdonnerusmc:

Do you have a bed? A bedroom? All you really "need" is a couch. Move that bed out and then you have yourself room for at least a couple more pins. problem SOLVED! And you saved a lot of money on a renovation, and you can sell your bed to help purchase your new machines.

LOL I forgot to mention I have a wife and a son, and they both use the space for things other than pins... the other end of that room is our home theater. I may be getting rid of an arcade game though... so that gives us some space!

#22 5 years ago
Quoted from skyrex:

I bought my wife some jewelry while we were in Florence Italy on the ponte vecchio on vacation. Unexpectedly on the way back to the hotel she says “I don’t think I need that big storage space downstairs for my art supplies anymore. I think if you take off the door and make it into an archway you could get a couple more pinball machines in the House”. And that is how I went from 4 to 6 machines. lol

My wife is not into jewelry... she's into vacations. So I'm screwed

#23 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

My wife is not into jewelry... she's into vacations. So I'm screwed

Mine's into horses.

#24 5 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

Mine's into horses.

You understand the struggle is real! Jewelry is cheap in comparison.

#25 5 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

Mine's into horses.

OMG. That’s it - we’ve found the lady equivalent of pinball. Costs a crap ton of money, loses values as soon as you take it out of the box (?), breaks down all the time, requires constant maintenance. Uh, smells...

At least Pinballs don’t cause poop.

#26 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

OMG. That’s it - we’ve found the lady equivalent of pinball. Costs a crap ton of money, loses values as soon as you take it out of the box (?), breaks down all the time, requires constant maintenance. Uh, smells...
At least Pinballs don’t cause poop.

And she'll never get a call that a pin threw me off, roll over on me, gave me a concussion and got me medi-vac'd to shock trauma.

#27 5 years ago

Wife has a t shirt of a horse with hay being eaten and pooping dollars out. Sums it up!

#28 5 years ago

I don't NEED another game. I don't NEED any of it. It could all be gone tomorrow and I would be no worse off than when I started collecting.

NEED is a strong word apparently used liberally around here.

#29 5 years ago

Sometimes I need a beer.

#30 5 years ago
Quoted from dmacy:

Wife has a t shirt of a horse with hay being eaten and pooping dollars out. Sums it up!

That's just throwing it right in your face

#31 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I don't NEED another game. I don't NEED any of it. It could all be gone tomorrow and I would be no worse off than when I started collecting.
NEED is a strong word apparently used liberally around here.

so is "pedantic"

#32 5 years ago

I agree that need is a strong word. I was very happy in a one bedroom apartment on the beach. However while I might not need the toys of adulthood I can admit that I enjoy them so they are staying

And I don’t want to go anywhere near horses or boats so yes you have it worse than jewelry. lol

#33 5 years ago
Quoted from skyrex:

I agree that need is a strong word.

Fortunately I also don't feel the NEED to give pinball companies in excess of $6k a piece for some of the crap games they have been churning out as of late. Nor is there a want...

#34 5 years ago

A would be my issue, but I don't see the option for where you have more than you want to own. Larger the collection the harder it is to keep it maintained correctly.

#35 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Fortunately I also don't feel the NEED to give pinball companies in excess of $6k a piece for some of the crap games they have been churning out as of late. Nor is there a want...

It’s funny you say that. After Stern Star Wars I said I was done with NIB at least until I played the game. I like SW much better now after some code updates but I was through with feeling like a beta tester and praying the code improved the game. Since SW the last two games I bought were old ones. Williams IJ and Black Rose. Having a ball with them. I will admit that JJPOTC got me because my wife and I both love the theme but on a whole I feel like buying new isn’t worth it. We should feel good about spending money on a new game and not worried how long it’s going to take ....if it ever gets there.....to reach its potential.

#36 5 years ago
Quoted from skyrex:

It’s funny you say that.

Funny and perhaps a little sad at the same time. Especially when they can't come up with anything better than something like Star Wars to sell games, 40 years after the fact.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 132.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 29.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 21.50
$ 225.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 34.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 91.00
17,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fort Worth, TX
5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lake Mary, FL
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Montpelier, VA
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cento Creations

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 22.50
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 16.95
$ 9,800.00
Pinball Machine
Pixels Arcade Games

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-do-you-do?hl=turtle and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.