Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 42 posts
  • 36 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by mack505
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

GettyImages-664159482 (resized).jpg
    1fdc67c9aa8328bc33c43ef254f249eac778e71c (resized).jpg
    pinballdrink.jpg
    IMG_7101.jpg
    th.jpeg
    black.jpg
    GumBall-Pin.jpg
    GOML.jpg
    image.jpg
    #1 10 years ago

Before the stream of smutty innuendo starts I do have a question?

Once you change the balls in your machine what do you do with the removed ones, just bin them?
    I've got about 2 dozen balls which I've removed from various machines as I've replaced with new and was wondering if anyone had actually found a use for them? Was thinking of trying to make a Newton's Super Cradle with them, but I'm pretty sure it's destined to failure, or some other kind of pinball based artwork.

#2 10 years ago

I have a nice double headed gumball machine. Half has candy, other half has old pinballs...

#3 10 years ago

I'm saving them for a Fallout style gatling gun for when the s*** goes down.

#4 10 years ago

If you can weld they make real nice kitchen cabinet handles. Other then that I just keep them in a big bowl for decoration.

#5 10 years ago

Clean them and sterilize them then gold plate them and then sell them on the Internet as
    Ben Wa balls.

image.jpgimage.jpg

#6 10 years ago
    Quoted from WJxxxx:

Was thinking of trying to make a Newton's Super Cradle with them, but I'm pretty sure it's destined to failure, or some other kind of pinball based artwork.

Interested in what you come up with...better than throwing them away for sure. Making an F-14 silhouette would be cool....think you would need more than 12 to do that though. Williams Logo would also be nice....better save them up for a while....should be plenty of room to store them in the cash box. Good luck

#7 10 years ago

Heh, like TomDotCom, mine go into a gumball machine. I have a nice old machine that looks very close to the gumball machine on the TZ translite.

#8 10 years ago
    Quoted from GaryMartin:

Heh, like TomDotCom, mine go into a gumball machine. I have a nice old machine that looks very close to the gumball machine on the TZ translite.

That's what I was going to also but the wife doesn't want me to. So they just sit on a ledge till I find something to do with them.

#9 10 years ago

I keep them in a box....
    Yea, not that spectacular - but I'd like to build a rolling ball sculpture like in the movie "fracture".

#10 10 years ago

I have a large slingshot... its cool shooting them 1/2 mile!

#11 10 years ago

I got a couple of large beer mugs full of 'em...

#12 10 years ago

I have a large slingshot... its cool shooting them 1/2 mile!

That's a good one

GOML.jpgGOML.jpg

#13 10 years ago

A quick drain into the trash.

#14 10 years ago

Posted this before

Put them in a Gumball or Peanut-pot.

GumBall-Pin.jpgGumBall-Pin.jpg

#15 10 years ago

Wrap them in paracord and make these...

black.jpgblack.jpg

#16 10 years ago
    Quoted from Mb51:

Wrap them in paracord and make these...

I'm not sure what that is for it just looks like it would hurt ala the old sock and a lock.

#17 10 years ago

ball bearings bomb jackets like in the movie swordfish

#18 10 years ago

make a large scale marble machine with them

#19 10 years ago

I had a cashbox full of them because I couldn't bring myself to just toss them and I figure someone may want them to make trophies with or some pinball related thing. Well earlier this year I had a flood and the thing was on the floor and took in water and many of them rusted. I put it out by the street with the rest of the garbage and some scrapper came and took it along with all the other metal things I put out there. So if you have a bunch and don't know what to do, if you put them outside by the street some you will make some scrapper's day as they take all that stuff and recycle it for money.

#20 10 years ago

what do I do with my old balls? It depends... Sometimes the psoriasis is so bad that I have to use an extra dose of steroid cream just to stop itchiness. Also I'm transitioning from boxer briefs to boxers so that loose, uncontained carefree feeling I get is still awkward. Hopefully my old balls are still playing pinball for another 25 years.

#21 10 years ago

Am I the only one that tumbles and re-uses them? They look like new after a week in the tumbler.

#22 10 years ago
    Quoted from MikeS:

Am I the only one that tumbles and re-uses them? They look like new after a week in the tumbler.

Ahhh is that what it takes? A week?

Tumbled mine for +/- 36 hours, looked still pitty ...
    So in the gumball they went.

Will gives them another spin (actually a bunch of spins )

(PS walnut or corn?)

#23 10 years ago
    Quoted from Thor-NL:

Ahhh is that what it takes? A week?
    Tumbled mine for +/- 36 hours, looked still pitty ...
    So in the gumball they went.
    Will gives them another spin (actually a bunch of spins )
    (PS walnut or corn?)

Walnut shells with Flitz. It seems to take at least 3-4 days to really make a difference in my experience.

If they're really old and pitted I'll discard them but when balls start looking dingy or starting to show any surface rust or spots I'll throw them in the tumbler to make them look like new again.

#24 10 years ago

I set them aside... and give them to friend's kids who visit the arcade. Most kids these days have never seen, let alone played a pinball machine. So, when they leave, I hand them each a pinball, and they seem to think it's neat. -J

#25 10 years ago

I sell them back to China.

th.jpegth.jpeg

#26 10 years ago

Do you put the flitz in the tubler with the shells? Liquid or paste?

I'm new to the tumbler methods.

TIA

#27 10 years ago

i put on of my old ones in a playskool pinball toy for my new addition coming in Febuary.

#28 10 years ago

Paint them bright colors and say who wants a Jawbreaker?

#29 10 years ago

trophies

IMG_7101.jpgIMG_7101.jpg

#30 10 years ago

Very nice Taylor

#31 10 years ago

Sell them as stress related medicine balls

3 months later
    #32 10 years ago

Never thought of this one. Be careful when taking a drink I guess.

http://shop.tapiture.com/products/balls-of-steel

pinballdrink.jpgpinballdrink.jpg
    6 months later
    #33 9 years ago

old bump for old balls-

3 years later
    #34 6 years ago

Sorry to bump an old thread, but does nobody recycle their old balls? Seems such a waste of good metal to just throw them away.

#35 6 years ago

I just try to keep em out of the toilet.....

#36 6 years ago

Forged in fire

#37 6 years ago

Throw them into Mount Doom!

#38 6 years ago

I may have made a smooth bore pyrodex cannon, but may have also not had the balls to fire it.

#39 6 years ago

I made a sphere polisher like the the rockhounds use. Some very fine polishing media. Polish for about 10 minutes to smooth all the nicks and then hit them on the buffing wheel to shine them up. Works good.

1fdc67c9aa8328bc33c43ef254f249eac778e71c (resized).jpg1fdc67c9aa8328bc33c43ef254f249eac778e71c (resized).jpg

7 months later
    #40 5 years ago

The impossible wood pinball cube:

#41 5 years ago
    Quoted from Pecos:

The impossible wood pinball cube:

Ok, thats friggin cool.

3 years later
    #42 2 years ago

Weighted blankets are all the rage, sew them in.

GettyImages-664159482 (resized).jpgGettyImages-664159482 (resized).jpg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-do-you-do-with-your-old-balls?hl=flashdaddy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.