Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 75 posts
  • 53 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by fireball2
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3428 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3422 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1781sm (resized).jpg
    IMG_6448 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6445 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6442 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3237 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3802 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3350 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6710 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6709 (resized).JPG
    20170821_160047 (resized).jpg
    20151031_181101 (resized).jpg
    20151031_183623 (resized).jpg
    IMG_4933 (resized).JPG
    60212D4C-B30D-47F0-A3DD-C14A1BA928CE (resized).jpg
    There are 75 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 6 years ago

In an effort to bring a bit of positivity to the forums this afternoon, I'm curious to know what you guys all do with your collections when they're not collecting dust in a basement someplace.

Anyone stick a game or two out on the sidewalk for a block party or barbecue?
    Maybe setup a couple of games in a local high school for their senior all night party?
    How about sticking a horror themed game in the garage for the kids on Halloween during trick or treating?

Share your pictures and ideas! I'd love to hear them!

#2 6 years ago

Play them. Fix them. Wish more people would come by to play them with me more often.

#3 6 years ago

I buy em, feel guilty for spending $50,000 on games, sell em, and then buy em back when I start to miss em. Then repeat.

#4 6 years ago

No dust here.I play them all regularly .

#5 6 years ago
    Quoted from gunstarhero:

Play them. Fix them. Wish more people would come by to play them with me more often.

Done. See ya in about 2 hrs.

Everyone's busy these days, but one of my goals out of the hobby as I improve my skills is to share and seek more wisdom from local pinheads.

#6 6 years ago

I've fallen victim of the same situation. Buy too many games, lament over money spent, and then no one plays them but me and another friend of mine. Even at parties, no one seems to be bothered to trek down to the basement.

But just today, I set up a game in the garage because it's being sold. The neighbors heard the chimes and came over to play. It was a really nice experience to share a small slice of my hobby with them!

#7 6 years ago

Every Halloween I open up the game room to the neighborhood. I place a couple of pins in the driveway for eye candy. Last year it was The Hobbit LE & a HEP AFM in the driveway. Lol. I also hand out bags of popcorn from the popcorn machine.
    It's been a huge hit!

20151031_183623 (resized).jpg20151031_183623 (resized).jpg

20151031_181101 (resized).jpg20151031_181101 (resized).jpg

#8 6 years ago
    Quoted from Vino:

Done. See ya in about 2 hrs.
    Everyone's busy these days, but one of my goals out of the hobby as I improve my skills is to play and seek wosdom from local pinheads.

Dude, alright. I better clean some glass, lol.

#9 6 years ago

60212D4C-B30D-47F0-A3DD-C14A1BA928CE (resized).jpg60212D4C-B30D-47F0-A3DD-C14A1BA928CE (resized).jpg

Last night for the fight

Last Halloween

IMG_4933 (resized).JPGIMG_4933 (resized).JPG

#10 6 years ago

They pretty much sit here dormant waiting for the first Saturday in November...........

John

#11 6 years ago

I let people play them.

LTG : )

#12 6 years ago

Take them to TPF..

Though frankly, I'm hoping that Metallica, Farfalla, and WPT sell soon.

#13 6 years ago

I put them on location.

Actually, it flows the other direction...my collection exists because locations want games.

#14 6 years ago
    Quoted from Dayhuff:

They pretty much sit here dormant waiting for the first Saturday in November...........
    John

Which is straight up gangsta Epic!!!!

#15 6 years ago
    Quoted from Dayhuff:

John

I'm eagerly awaiting that date myself (so are some of my local friends who I filled in after last year's visit and want to tag along this year)!

#16 6 years ago

I have mates around from work once a month where it's mainly just a bunch of us drinking, talking crap and eating. But slowly, over the last few months, more guys have been playing my pins and asking questions etc.

It's a great feeling to watch people who had no idea, working it out and really start to enjoy playing pinball.

#17 6 years ago

They serve as my consolation prize for the unlucky on poker night.

Once/Twice a year we have a decent sized party so they get some love then too.

I like the idea of using the garage though, I may have to look into that!

#18 6 years ago

To repeat;no dust here,played regularly!Fix,play some more and mod like hell!!

#19 6 years ago

Love opening all the windows and playing them while the football games are played. Won't get the nice weather until early October, hopefully sooner.

#20 6 years ago
    Quoted from Zampinator:

Which is straight up gangsta Epic!!!!

Quoted from c508:

I'm eagerly awaiting that date myself (so are some of my local friends who I filled in after last year's visit and want to tag along this year)!

Thanks guys I appreciate that and it's nice to know. Stay tuned for the official announcement in about a week.

John

#21 6 years ago

If Michigan weren't so far away, your party always looks like a blast!

#22 6 years ago

I'm building a party 'pinball' barn and hope to have a few special charity events. Charge $20 for all you can play for 5 hours and donate the money to a worthwhile charity... or, perhaps to TPF. My kids are afraid though that some miscreant will come and then later show up and rob/murder everyone. Don't laugh. That actually happened to a neighbor. His house was used for a B movie. Some thugs related to the movie somehow, heard he had a 'safe' room and returned to 'break into the safe'.... Unfortunately he was home and was badly beaten. I don't have a 'safe room', but I've got a few mean Dachshunds and vicious cats.

#23 6 years ago

I mostly just play 'em.

I do take "overflow" games to the break room at work for Navy personnel to use on free play. I've got a 60-1 cabinet out there right now.

20170821_160047 (resized).jpg20170821_160047 (resized).jpg

#24 6 years ago
    Quoted from racer_x:

I mostly just play 'em.
    I do take "overflow" games to the break room at work for Navy personnel to use on free play. I've got a 60-1 cabinet out there right now.

That's a nice thing right there.

#25 6 years ago

I love this thread. I've been wondering the same thing as I do a terrible job of having enough parties and friends over to justify it. Looking for good ideas. I'd like to route some games but definitely feel intimidated by just establishing connections w local businesses!

#26 6 years ago
    Quoted from mbaumle:

Less then two hours by plane.

John

#27 6 years ago
    Quoted from Davidus56:

I'm building a party 'pinball' barn and hope to have a few special charity events. Charge $20 for all you can play for 5 hours and donate the money to a worthwhile charity... or, perhaps to TPF. My kids are afraid though that some miscreant will come and then later show up and rob/murder everyone. Don't laugh. That actually happened to a neighbor. His house was used for a B movie. Some thugs related to the movie somehow, heard he had a 'safe' room and returned to 'break into the safe'.... Unfortunately he was home and was badly beaten. I don't have a 'safe room', but I've got a few mean Dachshunds and vicious cats.

awesome!!! I have a similar plan but it is still a few years out.

#28 6 years ago

I invite people over constantly and so do my kids. Nothing makes me happier than all my machines having multiplayer games going all at once. I buy them for others as much as for myself.

#29 6 years ago

I sometimes walk by and have a stare down with Angus. Sumbitch is undefeated.

#30 6 years ago

We have an informal Pinball Collective. There's a core of 3 or 4 with a total of about 35+ games and then other guests who show up fairly regularly. We rotate to each other's location each week (almost). This way everybody's machines get played pretty regularly, and only one of us needs to own a title. One guy has mostly DMDs, I have a buncha ems and early ss, and so forth. There ain't a single rerun between us!

Quoted from Chisox:

I invite people over constantly

Also this. You crims are all welcome anytime. I said the same thing over in the should-i-post-my-location thread.

#31 6 years ago

The High School I used to teach at had a technology club where they built a multi arcade cabinet. They called it the "Tarcade" since the mascot was the "Tartan" (worlds worst mascot, by the way). They stuck it in the lunch room and had it set for 25 cents a play, and all the proceeds went to tech club for more projects and materials. I think it was a pretty successful endeavor for them, and I've been meaning to get in touch with the advisor again. I always thought a good EM project would be a good way for the kids to learn simple principles in electronics, and they could stick it next to the tarcade.

IMG_6709 (resized).JPGIMG_6709 (resized).JPG

IMG_6710 (resized).JPGIMG_6710 (resized).JPG

#32 6 years ago

That Tarcade looks awesome! Wish I had a tech club like that back in HS, although the jazz band was pretty cool haha. Anyways, I'm mainly waiting for my collection to be accessible, I bought a pin, but I have to wait for my house to get set up to actually play. So I guess my collection just sits at the dealership...

#33 6 years ago

Fireball. This sounds like a great idea I have thought about previously (even though no one I know has machines and moving them around here in NYC would be a hassle)

How do you deal with the cost of repairs?

Also I think moving every week seems a lot of time dedicated to move and setting up.

#34 6 years ago

Vdrums We don't move machines. I have a warehouse where we play music and pinball. It has 16 machines. Another guy has 9 or 10 in his garage, and etc. We just meet at a different spot each week depending on who has a new game or whose wife is out of town, etc. We all live within 15-20 minutes of each other; in fact I ride my bike to two of our locations. We just try to coordinate when we pick up machines... there's no need for me to be looking for a Mars Trek any more, because one of the other guys just picked one up cheap that I am helping him fix. I'll get to play it every week now, if not more.

Eventually we hope to rent a place for all of us to combine most of our machines in a central location. Then we would work out a deal for rent and repairs and changing up the collection. Then we could also open things up for party rentals and suchlike.

#35 6 years ago

I put them all on location. If I had games that just sat and collected dust I'd have to move them along,even if they sat at home.

I just don't have the collect them all mentality, they are played or gone.

#36 6 years ago
    Quoted from bdaley6509:

I buy em, feel guilty for spending $50,000 on games, sell em, and then buy em back when I start to miss em. Then repeat.

This sounds very familiar.

#37 6 years ago

Fireball.... Sounds amazing.

#38 6 years ago

I always have my family parties in the gameroom so people are forced to play. and once a month have my league friends over for a pin party. And once in a while I get the drunk guy that wont leave. Still about a year out from having any real pin-party do to lack of space and many games not working correctly.

IMG_3350 (resized).JPGIMG_3350 (resized).JPG

IMG_3802 (resized).JPGIMG_3802 (resized).JPG

IMG_3237 (resized).JPGIMG_3237 (resized).JPG

#39 6 years ago

I regularly play about a third of my collection. Funny part is, I never know which third. Right now I'm on a modern Stern kick. But a month from now it might be all classics.

#40 6 years ago

I play them. I play pinball so much, I now have tennis elbow. I call it "pinball elbow". It frigging hurts.

And I run big competitions 3-4 times a year. 60-120 people show up. Amazing how many friends you have when you let them play your pinball machines for free. Haha!

rd

IMG_6442 (resized).JPGIMG_6442 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6445 (resized).JPGIMG_6445 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6448 (resized).JPGIMG_6448 (resized).JPG

#41 6 years ago

Our local middle school has a "high interest day" once a year where a bunch of different, interesting "classes" are offered to the students. The students can select a few that are of interest to them and then they attend the "class". It ranges from cooking to technology to photography. One of the teachers that knows me asked if I'd be willing to bring in a game, give a quick history of pinball, discuss how the games work, show the inside of the game, etc., and then let them play. I was thinking we could let everyone play a bit and then have a one-ball tournament with the high score getting some kind of prize.

I think this is something I'm going to do as I think it would be a lot of fun.

Dave

#42 6 years ago

Decide that I have too many to fit in my basement. Find a bigger space. Fill that space too. Find a bigger space. Fill that space too. Find a bigger space ... lather, rinse, repeat.

Come to the pretty obvious conclusion that I have so many pins that I'll never get to play them all.

But pretend I'm 12 again, where my dream was to have my own arcade and I spent all my time fixing machines (yes Tim Arnold is my hero).

Schedule to open up a pinball museum in my town in the next couple of months and see how that all works out. Its gonna get interesting whatever happens.

#43 6 years ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

I play them. I play pinball so much, I now have tennis elbow. I call it "pinball elbow". It frigging hurts.
    And I run big competitions 3-4 times a year. 60-120 people show up. Amazing how many friends you have when you let them play your pinball machines for free. Haha!
    rd

Dude! WTF is that??? Can't you see it? A damn beer on a pinball machine playfield glass.

#44 6 years ago

Laundry. .....and the same as everyone else!

#45 6 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

Dude! WTF is that??? Can't you see it? A damn beer on a pinball machine playfield glass.

We are pretty casual here

rd

#46 6 years ago
    Quoted from mbaumle:

They are!!

#47 6 years ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

I play pinball so much, I now have tennis elbow. I call it "pinball elbow". It frigging hurts.

Me too, man. I tore up my elbow trying to slide a LOTR around at Nickelrama...that concrete floor and no sliders on the feet? My elbow and shoulder have been chronically flaring up for YEARS because of this. Elbow rarely ever anymore, I rehabbed it by delivering pizzas (you laugh, but it worked). Start carrying around big flat 2-5lb things on that side for a year or so, it'll fix it right up.

#48 6 years ago

I may need surgery for "trigger finger" a Tendon issue, from playing to much!
    (my wife teases me and says its NOT from Pinball!)

#49 6 years ago

I take a couple of games along with some wacky things I've built from used parts to Maker Faires, science museums, pinball shows, etc. to try to show how the games work from the inside.

IMG_1781sm (resized).jpgIMG_1781sm (resized).jpg

More at www.funwithpinball.com

/Mark

#50 6 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

And once in a while I get the drunk guy that wont leave.

Have never woken up under a pinball machine, but have woken up on the floor in the kitchen, once. (Many years ago BTW)

There are 75 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-do-you-do-with-your-collection?hl=zami77 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.