Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 57 posts
  • 42 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by JRBBRJ
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

977E9A03-E0C0-4B88-97BF-97AFB94D8C26 (resized).jpeg
    F9D5AF99-B9C7-470A-B227-E86DC6598887 (resized).jpeg
    20190125_070159 (resized).jpg
    IMG_2640 (resized).JPG
    82B714C9-5A37-4FE2-B34A-ED3B9E4D2964 (resized).jpeg
    gum two (resized).jpg
    pinball pyramids.jpg
    20190310_203253 (resized).jpg
    20190124_204829 (resized).jpg
    20190124_204823 (resized).jpg
    20190124_133708 (resized).jpg
    image-485.jpg
    image.jpg
    Internet_Connection_Went_Down.jpg
    pinballdrink.jpg
    image.jpg
    There are 57 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 10 years ago

I have about 40 old pinballs, either scratched and/or rusty. What do people do with these heavy orbs?

#2 10 years ago

Slingshot ammo, fill old gumball machines, monkey fist, etc

#3 10 years ago

Give them out to people who come over and play pinball. They get a kick out of having one.

#4 10 years ago

I chuck them into my yard. I live on about 4 acres and some sick satisfaction of throwing them into the woods.

#5 10 years ago

I was wondering the same thing! I'm starting to get too many & I hate to throw them out for some reason? I feel like they could be useful in the future for something but I don't know what just yet!

#6 10 years ago

I've done a few things with them. I turned 6 of them into clock weights, made key-chain fobs, taken them to work to measure screw threads and gear teeth with, even used them for weights on down-rigger lines for fishing.

#7 10 years ago

I'm thinking they could have some use in the act of sexy love making? hmm. I have a dirty mind.

#9 10 years ago

Big glass cider bottle.

#10 10 years ago

I just throw them in the trash where they belong. No need to hoard old worthless junk.

#11 10 years ago
    Quoted from SealClubber:

No need to hoard old worthless junk.

If it makes my son happy, nothing is worthless. He likes his cider bottle full of pinballs.

#12 10 years ago

They get put into recycled art robots

#13 10 years ago

Give them to the neighbors kids. They play marbles with them at school

#14 10 years ago
    Quoted from kayakkingoz:

Give them to the neighbors kids. They play marbles with them at school

BS! Nobody plays marbles anymore...

#15 10 years ago

Polish them up and make little trophy's out of them to give away to friends etc.

#16 10 years ago

Send them to me. I use them to make trophies for my charity tournaments.

image-719.jpgimage-719.jpg
    #17 10 years ago

I call BS on most of these posts. Pics or it doesn't happen.

I like the pinball trophy and art ideas. You'd also think with all the super creative brain power in this hobby someone would be asking for these to be sent to them for some major recycling effort.

Didn't someone post before these could be tumbled back to be used again? Crap, can't someone make a business of us sending these into someone and getting x off new ball purchase.

#18 10 years ago

I dont do anything with them. I do have a lot of them rolling around the tool box, can't seem to throw them out.

#19 10 years ago

Same here. Throw them in a tumbler for a day and then weld them up. These were just for the Python charity tournament I did.

-Jimimage.jpgimage.jpg

#20 10 years ago
    Quoted from SealClubber:

I just throw them in the trash where they belong. No need to hoard old worthless junk.

Still worth a buck plus shipping, so not "worthless"
    ebay.com link: Steel Ball Williams Fire Pinball Machine Stainless 1 06 27mm c

#21 10 years ago
    Quoted from TunaSled:

If it makes my son happy, nothing is worthless. He likes his cider bottle full of pinballs.

be careful. I kept putting them into a antique glass milk jug, but the weight of the pinballs ended up breaking the glass.

#22 10 years ago

pinballdrink.jpgpinballdrink.jpg

#23 10 years ago

Who needs whiskey stones - love it. Is it sanitary or does the booze kill off all the playfield wax?

#24 10 years ago
    Quoted from MinusWorlds:

BS! Nobody plays marbles anymore...

Sure kids do. There are several Marbles apps available for the iPhone and Androids.

#25 10 years ago

ben wa balls for the wife's kegel exercises

#26 10 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Sure kids do. There are several Marbles apps available for the iPhone and Androids.

Then they're not using pinballs.

#27 10 years ago
    Quoted from badbilly27:

Who needs whiskey stones - love it. Is it sanitary or does the booze kill off all the playfield wax?

Bah, what's a little wax going to hurt ya'?

Quoted from MrBally:

I see what you did there! No need to go outside anymore!

Internet_Connection_Went_Down.jpgInternet_Connection_Went_Down.jpg
    #28 10 years ago
    Quoted from sanctumwear:

be careful. I kept putting them into a antique glass milk jug, but the weight of the pinballs ended up breaking the glass.

Yes, please be careful. I used to keep mine in a big mason jar. The bottom blew out one day when I picked it up. So if you're going to keep them in glass then you need to keep them out of the reach of kids. I keep them in a plastic jug now.

#29 10 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

ben wa balls for the wife's kegel exercises

Best to use new ones for that purpose after cleaning the oil off. Used ones with rust don't belong there. Works for girlfriends as well as wives, by the way Also, never start with Bingo pinball balls; Not that I know anything about this.

5 months later
    #30 9 years ago

PINBALL ART

My littlest one always loves to do art projects. She cut a circle piece of paper the same size as a pie pan, slap some paint on it, and twirled the ball all around. it looks kind of cool!
    image-485.jpgimage-485.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

4 years later
    #31 5 years ago

So I took the idea from here:
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-to-do-with-old-pinballs-2

I got my steel 'gumball' machine finally but need more 'gumballs', anyone willing to help me with your old pinballs you have no use for, please PM me.

20190124_133708 (resized).jpg20190124_133708 (resized).jpg20190124_204823 (resized).jpg20190124_204823 (resized).jpg20190124_204829 (resized).jpg20190124_204829 (resized).jpg
    #32 5 years ago

Be careful if that's glass. There are stories on here where the weight broke the glass.

1 month later
    #34 5 years ago
    Quoted from yzfguy:

Be careful if that's glass. There are stories on here where the weight broke the glass.

You mean like this story?

Pinballs just blew out a big chunk. Looked great for about 5 minutes.

So anyone know where can I get a plexiglass globe for this little bubble gum machine? It's a carousel junior.

20190310_203253 (resized).jpg20190310_203253 (resized).jpg
    #35 5 years ago

#36 5 years ago

I used to throw them away but for the last month or so I've been keeping them. I was asked by our local school if I'd like to come in offer a session on pinball for their "high interest" day. On high interest day the kids can choose from a number of different sessions to get a quick introduction/overview of various hobbies, jobs, etc. If I remember correctly, the sessions are 40 minutes long. I was planning on giving each kid that takes my session a used pinball.

Hopefully, I'll have enough by then (it's happening in May) to give each kid a pinball if they want one.

#37 5 years ago
    Quoted from egyptrus:

I used to throw them away but for the last month or so I've been keeping them. I was asked by our local school if I'd like to come in offer a session on pinball for their "high interest" day. On high interest day the kids can choose from a number of different sessions to get a quick introduction/overview of various hobbies, jobs, etc. If I remember correctly, the sessions are 40 minutes long. I was planning on giving each kid that takes my session a used pinball.
    Hopefully, I'll have enough by then (it's happening in May) to give each kid a pinball if they want one.

The school district's window repair company thanks you in advance

#38 5 years ago
    Quoted from egyptrus:

I was planning on giving each kid that takes my session a used pinball.

Not to be a Debbie Downer, but they could be a serious choking hazard. It's a nice thought, though.

#39 5 years ago
    Quoted from yzfguy:

The school district's window repair company thanks you in advance

I hadn't thought of that...maybe I should put them in bubble wrap and they can just look at them and then when they get home they can throw them about if they like

Quoted from beeker3000:

Not to be a Debbie Downer, but they could be a serious choking hazard. It's a nice thought, though.

Well, these are middle school kids so I'd like to think they wouldn't think of eating them but then again, this age group eats tide pods so maybe I should rethink it.

Perhaps the better thing to do would be to let them feel the weight of a pinball so they have an idea of how heavy they are rather than giving each kid one to break windows or choke on...

I appreciate the input.

#40 5 years ago

Well, if you have a 3D printer you can create pyramid bases to use the balls as décor, center pieces, etc. Or you can PM me and I'm happy to quote pricing on them.

pinball pyramids.jpgpinball pyramids.jpg
    #41 5 years ago

Finally got my filler pieces completed, manufactured from Chinese Christmas tree ornaments that are almost the exact size as pinballs, then sourced some "scratch and dent" surplus balls from the Ball Baron...here is the final product. I'm happy with it.
    I would say less than 30% of what appear to be pinballs are the real deal, only the outer most ones are real, the others are "memorex".
    gum two (resized).jpggum two (resized).jpg
    I forgot to say I have an extra machine (rectangle one) if anyone is interested, PM me.

20190125_070159 (resized).jpg20190125_070159 (resized).jpg
    #42 5 years ago

A member of the Eugene pinball scene is also a welder and crafted this trophy. The winner keeps it until the next event when that winner’s name is engraved and added.

82B714C9-5A37-4FE2-B34A-ED3B9E4D2964 (resized).jpeg82B714C9-5A37-4FE2-B34A-ED3B9E4D2964 (resized).jpeg
    #43 5 years ago

I have a bunch of eclectic interests that intersect sometimes. I use an old pinball to cork an inkwell I use for calligraphy.

IMG_2640 (resized).JPGIMG_2640 (resized).JPG
    #44 5 years ago

Filled a beer mug with them stands in the livingroom as deco

#45 5 years ago

Had an old gumball / love meter combo in the back of the arcade. I dumped the used pinballs in there with a color changing LED. The love meter makes more money than many of the classic arcade games . . . Go figure.

F9D5AF99-B9C7-470A-B227-E86DC6598887 (resized).jpegF9D5AF99-B9C7-470A-B227-E86DC6598887 (resized).jpeg
    2 years later
    #46 2 years ago

As I'm reviewing my used inventory prior to heading to Allentown, I found this old discussion. I'm a newbie with just over 3 years collecting, but already have 30 balls. There's got to be some way of recycling these. I replace mine after 100+ plays. If you inspect them, they look usable, but it just seems a shame to toss these. My town has metal recycling, but I can't just toss these in a dumpster, they'll be rolling all over the place. Maybe in a container. I did like the trophy pics.

#47 2 years ago
    Quoted from Bluebeard:

As I'm reviewing my used inventory prior to heading to Allentown, I found this old discussion. I'm a newbie with just over 3 years collecting, but already have 30 balls. There's got to be some way of recycling these. I replace mine after 100+ plays. If you inspect them, they look usable, but it just seems a shame to toss these. My town has metal recycling, but I can't just toss these in a dumpster, they'll be rolling all over the place. Maybe in a container. I did like the trophy pics.

100 plays? You can use them a whole lot longer then that.

#48 2 years ago
    Quoted from fiberdude120:

100 plays? You can use them a whole lot longer then that.

Exactly! Inspect them and if they look good continue using.

#49 2 years ago

I'm sure any metal scrap dealer would take them, and probably give you money. Not much, but some. My dad is always making custom metal parts for cars, and gets most of his material from metal recyclers.

#50 2 years ago

Kinetic arts

There are 57 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-do-you-do-with-old-pinballs?hl=jwjr and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.