(Topic ID: 222218)

What do you do when your scores start to plateau on a game?

By sethi_i

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by arkuz
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

I've really been working on my game, and it's steadily improving. Control is getting better, as is my accuracy. But it just isn't transferring to my MMr. I love this game. It plays so different from my others. Unlike my other newer games there are no modes, and everything is open to shoot from the start. It flows great...I love ramping out, killing castles and planning strategy for Madness. But I'm just not progressing at it. All of my games seem to end at the same place.

On my three new Sterns, I have had AWESOME games...7B on GB, 700K on ST, and 1.5B on GotG. Obviously these aren't typical. I have a fair amount of good games to go along with the crap ones. More importantly, I feel like I'm climbing the mountain on them.

Every time I start ST I expect to get to Kobayashi, and it happens regularly (EA once). Everytime I start GotG I expect to get to Cherry Bomb, even though it happens less regularly (Immolation once). Everytime I start GB I expect to shit the bed. Thankfully that happens even less regularly.

On MMr, my expectations remain low...get 2nd castle EB...start Castle MB...start Madness with more than 2. Royal Madness isn't even on my radar when I press start (been there a few times...completed it once). How do you get over the plateau. Don't say "sell the game", that's not going to happen. I like the game too much. I just want to start crushing it!

#2 5 years ago

Keep playing... bring a friend over and watch them play too!

Oh, and Beer... there should be beer!
faz

(seriously... keep playing. more practice)

#3 5 years ago

Watch someone better than yourself play, even if that means watching a video. Sometimes there is something missing in approach or technique that you're not going to think of or integrate unless you see it done. To paraphrase Cal Ripken, "Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect."

#4 5 years ago

Give MM a rest for a couple of weeks. Play your other machines, then go back to it.

Aim for specific shots over and over, try and start Barnyard MB, try and set a new record for jousts, peasants, damsels, etc. but only focus on one per game.
That will help you get your eye in on each of the shots, and relearn the shots after a break.

#5 5 years ago

You take your fist and smash it through the glass. This seems to work just about everytime.

#6 5 years ago

If you dig the game keep playing it.
Inevitably you will get in a groove and have a crazy game where you crush your high score.
It’s almost like a religious experience.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#7 5 years ago

One last bit of advice. Fully understand the rules. And the hidden tasks/treasures in the game.

The deeper the rules the more you need to know to score really big.

Lots of videos out there.... PAPA, etc. Got a rule sheet?

http://pinball.org/rules/medievalmadness.html

faz

#8 5 years ago

One big difference between MM and the others you've mentioned, is that MM has pretty linear scoring. Your score is tied much more closely to how long your game lasts, rather than if you happened to stack multiple crazy scoring features at once (6x + loopin supers, or PKE, or We Came We Saw, etc).

What is the feed like from the swamp, and do you regularly get control from it, or do you fling the ball away on the fly?

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from pinball_faz:

The deeper the rules the more you need to know to score really big.

Lots of videos out there.... PAPA, etc. Got a rule sheet?

I'm a rules and video junkie. With only four games, I think I've seen every video and read every thread out there for them. I love PAPA on pinballvideos.com...tutorials, gameplay and competitions.

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from ryanwanger:

One big difference between MM and the others you've mentioned, is that MM has pretty linear scoring. Your score is tied much more closely to how long your game lasts, rather than if you happened to stack multiple crazy scoring features at once (6x + loopin supers, or PKE, or We Came We Saw, etc).
What is the feed like from the swamp, and do you regularly get control from it, or do you fling the ball away on the fly?

The drop from the right orbit is pretty consistent and misses the sling. Hold the right flipper and the ball will bounce over to the left for a trap. The drop from the left orbit is less consistent, sometimes hitting the sling. I can live catch fairly well when it doesn't. My "bang the side" technique to get the ball off the rail needs some work. My timing of hitting the machine and getting back to the flipper isn't consistent.

I generally try to shoot ramps consecutively, and that gets the ball moving pretty fast. A miss turns into a scramble to slow down the ball. Castle shots often drop to the right flipper for a bounce pass to the left. Otherwise they fall SDTM.

You are right about game length. My MMr games are much shorter than my others.

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from sethi_i:

I can live catch fairly well when it doesn't. My "bang the side" technique to get the ball off the rail needs some work. My timing of hitting the machine and getting back to the flipper isn't consistent.

This is good. If you can almost always get it under control, then doing castles all day is the best strategy for high scores. In tournament play, it's rare to see anything else.

Quoted from sethi_i:

I generally try to shoot ramps consecutively, and that gets the ball moving pretty fast. A miss turns into a scramble to slow down the ball.

This is probably true of a lot of games. Eventually you'll miss and hit a post at the mouth of a ramp, which can be deadly. Can you hold up a flipper to transfer a ball moving quickly down the inlane over to the other flipper? I often do this from left to right on MM.

Quoted from sethi_i:

Castle shots often drop to the right flipper for a bounce pass to the left. Otherwise they fall SDTM.

I (almost always) refuse to shoot the castle from the right flipper when the drawbridge is down because I've had too many STDM returns. Can you post past reliably and shoot it from the left? I find the return is much, much safer that way.

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from ryanwanger:

Can you hold up a flipper to transfer a ball moving quickly down the inlane over to the other flipper?

This doesn't really work on mine. From both sides, the ball seems to catch a little bit of a rattle after it drops in the inlanes. It's just enough to make a rolling transfer sketchy.

Quoted from ryanwanger:

I (almost always) refuse to shoot the castle from the right flipper when the drawbridge is down because I've had too many STDM returns. Can you post past reliably and shoot it from the left? I find the return is much, much safer that way.

I agree with this completely. Right shots to the gate are deadly. My post passing is pretty good, but too often from a right trap I'll shoot at the Castle MB lock instead of passing for another gate shot. That usually leads to an out of control ball again.

#13 5 years ago

I've plateaued on my most modern games which are also the most technically challenging. Part of that is because I've had a pretty good sized collection for a few years so I'm always playing different machines throughout the week. Now, however, I've decided to focus a bit more on a just few.

I don't want it to feel like work, as though I'm training for something. I want it to be fun, so I add an extra ball (4 instead of 3), install an easier mode if that's an option or tweak features like various ball save times, and tighten the out lanes. This gets me past my plateau, and makes a game feel really fresh again. After doing this for a while, I can see how going back to the factory settings will also feel fresh and become more fun for knowing better where it all leads.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 28.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

14,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 28.00
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 25.00
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

13,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Howard City, MI
$ 12.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Machine - For Sale
Fresno, CA
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.95
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lee's Summit, MO
$ 55.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-do-you-do-when-your-scores-start-to-plateau-on-a-game and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.