(Topic ID: 75610)

What do you do if you've lost your machine door key?

By Muppet_Man

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 48 posts
  • 29 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by fasteight
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

Are these things all based around just a few key locks? My STTNG has lost it's key and the doors locked.

#2 10 years ago

Drill baby drill....

#3 10 years ago

1. Try some other keys.... you never know?
2. Try to pick the lock
3. Drill.... takes about 30 seconds

#4 10 years ago

Yup , break out the drill and make sure you use a good drill bit thy won't break off

#5 10 years ago

And make sure to put something down for shavings.

#6 10 years ago

Oh dear, and I thought it was going to be a doddle.

#7 10 years ago

As long as they are single bit keys, picking is not that hard and a good way to milk down a beer or two. )

#8 10 years ago

start by trying another key, sometimes they are keyed a like.

if not, yep, get the drill!

#9 10 years ago

The worst part of drilling is cleaning up the metal shavings - especially in the inside of the cab.

#10 10 years ago

No, there are multiple lock manufactures each with numbered keys. You'll need to drill it out and replace with new. Sometimes a screwdriver hammered into the lock will break it to turn, else use a drill. Use a rag under the door as there will be metal shavings. The common coin door lock size is 7/8" either double bitted (teeth on both sides of the key) or single bitted, either will work, although double bitted is a little easier for key insert.
You also might consider replacing all the locks with those that are keyed alike. I've done so on my collection and one key fits all.
Hope this helps.
Terry

#11 10 years ago

look on the lock see if theres a number and that's the code mine are all 1382s

Drill it out and catch the shavings with a magnet .

The first thing I do is with a new game is replace the lock with a keyed alike lock and if I sell a game I take the lock back out

Good luck

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from TeeJayN:

No, there are multiple lock manufactures each with numbered keys. You'll need to drill it out and replace with new. Sometimes a screwdriver hammered into the lock will break it to turn, else use a drill. Use a rag under the door as there will be metal shavings. The common coin door lock size is 7/8" either double bitted (teeth on both sides of the key) or single bitted, either will work, although double bitted is a little easier for key insert.
You also might consider replacing all the locks with those that are keyed alike. I've done so on my collection and one key fits all.
Hope this helps.
Terry

Great idea TeeJayN. I have nine machines all with different keys. This makes a lot of sense. Probably why it never occurred to me.

#13 10 years ago

If you end up drilling it out and do need to replace it a new one is less than five dollars anyway and will only take two minutes to install.

#14 10 years ago

Just drill it out. I prefer to drill the pins, it makes less mess than drilling out the screw in the back, but either way will work.

#15 10 years ago

I drill first, if I break a bit in the lock (which has happened :/ ) then with two flat head screwdrivers I carefully open up the door where the lock is, surprisingly, I have done this with no additional damage.

#16 10 years ago

I had luck using the file on the back of a nail clipper. There is a hook feature on the end of the file that allows to work the lock bits. Some times it works within seconds, other times it took a few try's. Not 100% reliable, but does work.

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from SV1:

I had luck using the file on the back of a nail clipper. There is a hook feature on the end of the file that allows to work the lock bits. Some times it works within seconds, other times it took a few try's. Not 100% reliable, but does work.

Got to be worth a try. Cheers

#18 10 years ago

Once you get the lock open Muppet_Man you can change all your locks to keyed-alike .. OR .. you could change them all to keyless locks .

I've got keyless ones on all my pins and they are great . No more looking for a key / keys .

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from MIL:

Once you get the lock open Muppet_Man you can change all your locks to keyed-alike .. OR .. you could change them all to keyless locks .
I've got keyless ones on all my pins and they are great . No more looking for a key / keys .

I don't really need them to lock. So long as the cats can't get in. Where did you get those?

#20 10 years ago

Go to youtube and look at lock picking. A child can do it!

#22 10 years ago

I had terrible luck drilling....

#23 10 years ago

All my machines are keyed alike, but I just started replacing them with;

http://www.arcadeadventures.com/keyless-thumb-lock/

I like these because I can still put my key fob on them.

#24 10 years ago
Quoted from Patofnaud:

All my machines are keyed alike, but I just started replacing them with;
http://www.arcadeadventures.com/keyless-thumb-lock/
I like these because I can still put my key fob on them.

I notice that there are 2 different sizes available for those keyless locks (5/8" and 7/8"). Which one would work for later model pinball machines?

#25 10 years ago

Drill, drill, drill. Very easy to do. But yes it makes a mess, nothing a shop vac can't handle though.

#26 10 years ago

Sell it for half off.

Seriously though, I have drilled out several. Just take your time.

#27 10 years ago

Remove the door hinges, pull from the coin return, and bend the latch until you can remove the entire door.
Remove the lock and replace everything. Drilling is messy and dosen't always work well.

#28 10 years ago
Quoted from dgposter:

I notice that there are 2 different sizes available for those keyless locks (5/8" and 7/8"). Which one would work for later model pinball machines?

The 7/8" ones for pinball doors .

#29 10 years ago
Quoted from buffaloatx:

Remove the door hinges, pull from the coin return, and bend the latch until you can remove the entire door.
Remove the lock and replace everything. Drilling is messy and dosen't always work well.

Huh??? You lost me here.

#30 10 years ago

I have the keyless locks installed, but they don't seem to work that well for me:

- if I tighten the keyless lock's screw inside the coin door too tight, it won't turn at all
- if I let the screw to be a bit loose, it will become more loose during time and I am afraid
that at some point the lock won't turn at all anymore and instead the latch inside the pin
will remain in the "locked" position. If that would occur, those keyless locks seem like
a PITA to drill!

Any best practises with the keyless locks to share?

#31 10 years ago
Quoted from Muppet_Man:

I don't really need them to lock. So long as the cats can't get in. Where did you get those?

After you drill out the lock, take a crescent wrench to the door close to where the door and frame meet near the lock. Slightly bend the sheet metal until the door is able to close, and not open on its own. You will not need a lock at all after doing this.

#32 10 years ago
Quoted from ranchdrsn:

Huh??? You lost me here.

Remove the hinge pin from the coin door. Use a small jewelers screw driver and a hammer to tap the pin out until you can use a pair of pliers to pull it the rest of the way out. once you have done that use the coin return slots as grips to pull apart the hinge "fingers". once you have them apart there should be a gap between the coin door and the door frame. get your fingers in there and pull the door towards you and to the right, this will bend the lock latch allowing you to remove the door fully. once you have the door off remove the entire lock from the door and replace it with a new lock that you have the key for, or leave it off, you can shim it with a match book to keep it closed.
I've done this on my No Fear, and TZ and it doesn't take too much time or effort really.

#33 10 years ago

Thanks for all of the links and the ideas guys.

I think I'm going to go the keyless locks as they're very cheap and should save me a load of hassle in the future. So as to avoid the problems Nepi23 has advised on, I'll put a bit of stud lock or superglue on the nut when it's in the correct position which should stop it coming loose again.

However, I've got to try the lock picking one just so I can pretend to be a cat burglar. After all, I've got the four cats - that is how it works isn't it?

#34 10 years ago

If you've got time, sure why not try to pick a lock? The internet is full of useful burglary information lol.
http://www.wikihow.com/Pick-a-Lock

#35 10 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

If you've got time, sure why not try to pick a lock? The internet is full of useful burglary information lol.
http://www.wikihow.com/Pick-a-Lock

That's unbelievable! Talk about a Home Study Course on lock picking.

I've got to have a go.

#36 10 years ago
Quoted from buffaloatx:

Remove the hinge pin from the coin door. Use a small jewelers screw driver and a hammer to tap the pin out until you can use a pair of pliers to pull it the rest of the way out. once you have done that use the coin return slots as grips to pull apart the hinge "fingers". once you have them apart there should be a gap between the coin door and the door frame. get your fingers in there and pull the door towards you and to the right, this will bend the lock latch allowing you to remove the door fully. once you have the door off remove the entire lock from the door and replace it with a new lock that you have the key for, or leave it off, you can shim it with a match book to keep it closed.
I've done this on my No Fear, and TZ and it doesn't take too much time or effort really.

I can't imagine that not damaging the door as there is only 3mm of gap to even get to the hinge pin, and the molding over and below it would be demolished. I guess it may work for some but a 4 dollar lock I don't mind ruining.

#37 10 years ago
Quoted from Muppet_Man:

So as to avoid the problems Nepi23 has advised on, I'll put a bit of stud lock or superglue on the nut when it's in the correct position which should stop it coming loose again.

This might be a problem though, if you sold your pin and the new owner would want to install "real locks"...

#38 10 years ago
Quoted from Nepi23:

This might be a problem though, if you sold your pin and the new owner would want to install "real locks"...

You can still undo them again, they just won't work loose by accident. All you need is some Oxycetaline tanks, a welders mask, a metre long set of adjustable's and a 12lbs lump hammer and it would be off again in a jiffy.

#39 10 years ago

There is another method that is cleaner and usually quicker than drilling. Take a good size standard screwdriver, preferably with a square shaft, insert the blade in the lock and bang it in to get a good grip with a hammer, obviously not so hard that you damage the door. Then attach a pair of vise grips to the shaft of the screwdriver and turn, most locks will let go very easily, but I have had some take a few tries.

#40 10 years ago

There is more info on drilling a lock on this thread:

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tips-for-drilling-out-a-lock

#41 10 years ago
Quoted from ranchdrsn:

I can't imagine that not damaging the door as there is only 3mm of gap to even get to the hinge pin, and the molding over and below it would be demolished. I guess it may work for some but a 4 dollar lock I don't mind ruining.

I hear you, but if you take your time the only thing that gets damaged is the lock latch, since you are only using your hands and not a pry bar there is not much chance of damaging anything important on the frame or door.
Anyway have fun picking the lock, it may take longer, but it does sound like more fun.

#42 10 years ago

I picked up a High Speed today and of course the guy couldn't find the key to the coin door. I tried the screw driver method and had no success. I busted out the drill and was in 10 seconds later.

#43 10 years ago

Ok, so when you drill what is your goal? Again, only because I have had such shitty luck drilling, literally hours without being able to get the tumbler to turn....

#44 10 years ago
Quoted from nighttaco:

Ok, so when you drill what is your goal? Again, only because I have had such shitty luck drilling, literally hours without being able to get the tumbler to turn....

Goal is to drill through the lock to get the screw off that holds the cam on.

I start with a small drill (1/8"), and start it in the key hole near the outside, angling it in toward the center.

Then I follow that up with a 1/4" and go all the way.

Really, once you've done it once, it takes less than 3 minutes....

#45 10 years ago

Nope. That game is dead now. Time to knock a few thousand dollars off the price and sell.

#46 10 years ago

I do it differently than tamoore.

I personally try to drill out the pins in the lock, by running a small bit through the shear line.

I use roughly the same procedure as in this video. It's less destructive, and doesn't dump a bunch of shavings in your cabinet.

http://vimeo.com/32757572

#47 10 years ago

Cool, thanks for the tips, hopefully I don't waste a ton of time next time....

#48 10 years ago

I lost the keys to my Twilight Zone.

Ordered a set of lock picks, and picked it in under 5 minutes. First time I ever tried to pick a lock, it was painfully easy. It costs about $35 for a decent set, so probably only worth it if you want to mess around with the pick set on other locks.

This is the set I bought:
http://www.southord.com/Lock-Picking-Tools/Lock-Pick-Set-Slim-Line-Fifteen-Piece-1500.html

Then just watched some YouTube videos like this one:

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 9.95
$ 63.95
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 85.00
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elizabethtown, KY
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC
$ 64.99
$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 15.00
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pleasanton, CA

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-do-you-do-if-youve-lost-your-machine-door-key and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.