(Topic ID: 183759)

What do you do for a living

By gregfilek

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1202 (resized).jpeg
    0EE5013D-1126-4302-B681-CBB4939A1DEF (resized).jpeg
    7D4B12D8-52B5-43BB-AB64-F5FF318D0D1C (resized).jpeg
    EBBCB3AE-F36A-4F68-8031-B143A7D15D27 (resized).png
    IMG_20191205_105516405_BURST000_COVER (resized).jpg
    Austin Powers Not Mine (resized).png
    IMG_6434[1] (resized).JPG
    image (resized).jpeg
    architect (resized).jpg
    8F8B02FC-FB88-4273-A4AA-FA770D1F454F (resized).jpeg
    3FB2E8C5-BB16-4280-B5A2-A340136F6469 (resized).jpeg
    7656EF22-66C2-4681-BC36-8780CE958EF8 (resized).jpeg
    CFDE8F3A-ADA9-4C13-B9AC-7F1A5EB7C2FF (resized).jpeg
    63F92465-7D80-4DFF-9BB4-9609E99EF128 (resized).jpeg
    8846A7A5-EB68-4FF0-9886-B8C68267E853 (resized).jpeg
    54336895-07C7-416C-96FE-D68591D5D6E7 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinworthy.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#365 7 years ago

I work for one the world's largest aerospace companies as an Instrument Flight Procedure designer which normally draws a blank stare when people ask what I do.

Specifically I do Performance Based Navigation and Required Navigational Performance-Authorization Required. Not every government or their service providers has the training or experience to design these types of flight procedures so we are under contract to many countries and airlines worldwide to reduce flight time, save fuel, reduce emissions and noise.
    If you live in Canada there is a good chance you could arrive on a flight that used something I designed...

We also build procedures into some of the most terrain challenged airports imaginable to allow safe approaches when the weather is bad. I know most passengers don't put much thought into the pilot's view and how he finds the runway when visibility in poor. This is a great example; the first 2 mins are very scenic and keep that terrain in mind during the last 2 mins.

I do my job so the pilot can do his (disclaimer I did not design that particular approach but I have done some into very similar locations)

#398 7 years ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

lol love how many people work for a "major" company or "the largest" within an industry and/or make sure to note they are the "senior" or "lead" ..designer, engineer,etc gotta make that job / title sound elite! and powerful!

You might be surprised how much coaching is given employees regarding the use of social media and providing company info, even on your personal time. This is especially true for companies with govt contracts or significant IP at stake. I "described" my company rather than state the name because web crawlers look for crap like that. I would love to post the videos that I have of my work but to make sure I don't violate policy I used publicly available media (posted by a customer in one case). So while it may seem like a self-aggrandizement there may be good reasons. see below

Quoted from G-P-E:

Small world! We did the exact same thing within the US. But that was a long time ago (~15 yrs).
    We just started working on acquiring a job with the Canadian AF. Would be a nice departure from working on satellite comm equip every day. Can't say much... you might be our competitor!

It is a fairly small community when you think about it.
    I built and maintain several within the US but they are more cookie-cutter and not as interesting.
    Yep, I totally understand

Quoted from Lonzo:

For the love of God, Please make the RNAV arrivals less complicated.

LOL the pilot side of me agrees...the designer doesn't

#475 7 years ago
    Quoted from ghostbc:

10 years General Motors (decent money, hated life) 8 years Plumber (decent money, good at it but did not love it) 14 years as of last week owner of Lyons Classic Pinball in Lyons Colorado(labor of love, least $ I have ever made but Love Love Love my job bringing old and new pins to the public). Thank you all for supporting my dream job!

Your place is one the things I hated leaving when I moved to Atlanta... I try to come in every time I visit home

1 month later
    #632 7 years ago

I think you would find the majority of teams have charter contracts though a Major Airline (United does a good business with pro teams)

Quoted from kojak234:

What kind of name is Poon anyway?

Commanche Indian

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinworthy.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-do-you-do-for-a-living?tu=pinworthy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.