(Topic ID: 183759)

What do you do for a living

By gregfilek

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1202 (resized).jpeg
    0EE5013D-1126-4302-B681-CBB4939A1DEF (resized).jpeg
    7D4B12D8-52B5-43BB-AB64-F5FF318D0D1C (resized).jpeg
    EBBCB3AE-F36A-4F68-8031-B143A7D15D27 (resized).png
    IMG_20191205_105516405_BURST000_COVER (resized).jpg
    Austin Powers Not Mine (resized).png
    IMG_6434[1] (resized).JPG
    image (resized).jpeg
    architect (resized).jpg
    8F8B02FC-FB88-4273-A4AA-FA770D1F454F (resized).jpeg
    3FB2E8C5-BB16-4280-B5A2-A340136F6469 (resized).jpeg
    7656EF22-66C2-4681-BC36-8780CE958EF8 (resized).jpeg
    CFDE8F3A-ADA9-4C13-B9AC-7F1A5EB7C2FF (resized).jpeg
    63F92465-7D80-4DFF-9BB4-9609E99EF128 (resized).jpeg
    8846A7A5-EB68-4FF0-9886-B8C68267E853 (resized).jpeg
    54336895-07C7-416C-96FE-D68591D5D6E7 (resized).jpeg

There are 921 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 19.
    #351 7 years ago

Powerpoint chart developer for a fortune 10 company

#352 7 years ago

Would you believe, daycare center owner?

Once upon a time, I was a database administrator/developer. When my wife was pregnant in 2002, she couldn't find a daycare center she liked, so despite having the world's sweetest telephone voice, she quit her phone support job to open her own center (not in-home). And I helped, a lot.

It grew, and I left my other job in 2004, though on paper she was still sole proprietor.

Then tragically in 2010, both she and the center's director were killed in a freeway accident with a semi when the semi driver decided it was a good idea to pull over through an on-ramp's merge.

Somehow I was able to keep the center alive, I incorporated it and found people to run it, and it is still going strong with around ten employees, at this point I only spend around five hours a week on it myself.

I am also working on getting my resale shop open, although the real money there is in eBaying out the back. I myself can't believe all the stuff I've piled up for that purpose.

The majority of my time is used up single parenting my now 14-year-old girl, which is ordinarily difficult enough, but part of her head is still stuck being a seven-year-old whose mommy was ripped away from her in an instant and who understandably fears the worst from any given situation.

#353 7 years ago
    Quoted from pinbuoy:

Mechanical Designer for a NASA contractor. For example I designed shipping structure that allowed the satellite that took this pic of the Sun to be trucked to Florida for launch.

I want a shipping structure like that for my pins!

#354 7 years ago
    Quoted from DanQverymuch:

Would you believe, daycare center owner?
    Once upon a time, I was a database administrator/developer. When my wife was pregnant in 2002, she couldn't find a daycare center she liked, so despite having the world's sweetest telephone voice, she quit her phone support job to open her own center (not in-home). And I helped, a lot.
    It grew, and I left my other job in 2004, though on paper she was still sole proprietor.
    Then tragically in 2010, both she and the center's director were killed in a freeway accident with a semi when the semi driver decided it was a good idea to pull over through an on-ramp's merge.
    Somehow I was able to keep the center alive, I incorporated it and found people to run it, and it is still going strong with around ten employees, at this point I only spend around five hours a week on it myself.
    I am also working on getting my resale shop open, although the real money there is in eBaying out the back. I myself can't believe all the stuff I've piled up for that purpose.
    The majority of my time is used up single parenting my now 14-year-old girl, which is ordinarily difficult enough, but part of her head is still stuck being a seven-year-old whose mommy was ripped away from her in an instant and who understandably fears the worst from any given situation.

Wow, what a tragic story. My hat's off to you for persevering through one of the most difficult situations a man can go through.

#355 7 years ago

Refrigeration mechanic and gas fitter , I own my own business , there are days I love my job , days I don't . I can't complain .

#357 7 years ago
    Quoted from Clnilsen:

Another CPA checking in I
    I'm a Director of Finance for a Theme Park & Resort Company. My lunchtime walk takes me past some of the coolest attractions in the world.

You need to get pinball machines back into your company's reasonable cost to attend parks. Then again, if you're in finance, pinball machines don't pass the business case. Except for one particular brand that claims a game can be priced at two bucks since it is a premium product.

#358 7 years ago
    Quoted from pinbuoy:

One of the big fellas, cool.
    Do you like it ?

It's definitely the easiest job I've ever had, but it has its drawbacks. I've missed a lot of holidays, weekends and sporting events because of the job. But, I enjoy the challenge of hauling 10,000 + tons of freight. I've also seen a lot of crazy shit over the years. There's something about RR tracks that bring out the crazy in people.

#359 7 years ago

Wow, we've got a lot of real hard workers around here. Makes me proud to be a 55 year old

beach bum/stoner/slacker.

I've got all the free time I need.

#360 7 years ago
    Quoted from presqueisle:

I'm a gynecologist, used to be a proctologist, but needed a change of scenery.

I'm the opposite of your profession. I'm a pickpocket. I snatch watches.

#361 7 years ago

I'm a Mercedes certified auto body technician. I was hoping my upcoming training in Dallas would have coincided with TPF, maybe one of these years...

#362 7 years ago

Lead Game Designer for PC/Console video games. Graduated in Film Animation 13 years ago.

#363 7 years ago

When in the Inland Empire area of Southern California, Donut Man in Glendora for Donuts. Not really good for coffee though. Cash only. Outdoor ATM on premises. Their seasonal Peach and strawberry donuts are unbelievable. A bit more than 75¢ though. When neither Peach or Strawberry donuts are available, they offer flavored icing on the French Cruellers.

#364 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Wow, we've got a lot of real hard workers around here. Makes me proud to be a 55 year old
    beach bum/stoner/slacker.
    I've got all the free time I need.

Maybe I'll quit my line cook job at the Fallen Arches and make Pastrami Dips at The Hat. Either Glendora or Rancho Cucamonga. Would love to live in Pasadena, but I can't quite afford to live with the beautiful people there.

#365 7 years ago

I work for one the world's largest aerospace companies as an Instrument Flight Procedure designer which normally draws a blank stare when people ask what I do.

Specifically I do Performance Based Navigation and Required Navigational Performance-Authorization Required. Not every government or their service providers has the training or experience to design these types of flight procedures so we are under contract to many countries and airlines worldwide to reduce flight time, save fuel, reduce emissions and noise.
    If you live in Canada there is a good chance you could arrive on a flight that used something I designed...

We also build procedures into some of the most terrain challenged airports imaginable to allow safe approaches when the weather is bad. I know most passengers don't put much thought into the pilot's view and how he finds the runway when visibility in poor. This is a great example; the first 2 mins are very scenic and keep that terrain in mind during the last 2 mins.

I do my job so the pilot can do his (disclaimer I did not design that particular approach but I have done some into very similar locations)

#366 7 years ago
    Quoted from bigd1979:

I cut lawns, trees and weeds for 7 months out of the year and also work from home alot buying and selling collectables. I get alot of stuff from buying storage lockers and garage sales.

For those of us that are local, what is your business name? Do you do tree trimming?

#367 7 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

You need to get pinball machines back into your company's reasonable cost to attend parks. Then again, if you're in finance, pinball machines don't pass the business case. Except for one particular brand that claims a game can be priced at two bucks since it is a premium product.

Well, don't think I'm not trying. We have a couple hotels that the theme would lend itself well to having pins in an arcade... I'm definite.y getting closer.

#368 7 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Would love to live in Pasadena

My grandparents lived there and that is where my dad was raised. He used to march and blow his horn in the rose parade when he was young.

Nice town but a little too far inland and too close to LA for me. I'll stick with living in the shadow of The Magic Kingdom myself.

#369 7 years ago

President of a Point-of-Sale company that caters to the hospitality industry.

#370 7 years ago

Civil engineer.

People who respond to these types of threads on the internet are usually the people with pretty good jobs.

Or if they have a lame job, they don't realize it and think it's swell.

Rarely do you see a guy say that he sorts trash at a recycling center or something like that.

Or mops the floors at a peep show.

#371 7 years ago
    Quoted from irobot:

Civil engineer.

So, does that mean you are a train driver with a pretty even temper?

When I get older I might like to drive the train at Disneyland.

#372 7 years ago
    Quoted from irobot:

IMO you need to find the joy in anything you do.

In high school:
    ** (Summer) Worked in the warehouse of JC Penney moving cases of product around, racked clothing and even sold merch on the floor.
    ** High School bookstore - stock/sales

College:
    ** Hot dog cart operator by day on the quad/at night I put my cart 20 feet from the entrance of the popular bar... got all the drunks with munchies. After a few months of that, I was night manager of the store.
    ** School newspaper, I was the 'IT Guy' that ran the network and the system of brand new PCs (oooh Shiny XT computers).
    ** School computer lab. Dealt with the people ripping their hair out trying to create a for loop for the first time or some smarmy kid that was so arrogant was convinced he "broke" CoBOL... (he was missing a period).
    ** (summer) I worked in a BBQ restaurant... did every job: Host, Dishwasher, Fry Cook, Table Busser, Cashier.

Every one of those jobs I made it a personal challenge to do the job well and better / more efficient than the day before.
    I LOVE to invent process improvement / automation. Probably why I love to work with data.
    faz

#373 7 years ago
    Quoted from pinworthy:

I work for one the world's largest aerospace companies as an Instrument Flight Procedure designer which normally draws a blank stare when people ask what I do.
    Specifically I do Performance Based Navigation and Required Navigational Performance-Authorization Required. Not every government or their service providers has the training or experience to design these types of flight procedures so we are under contract to many countries and airlines worldwide to reduce flight time, save fuel, reduce emissions and noise.
    If you live in Canada there is a good chance you could arrive on a flight that used something I designed...

Small world! We did the exact same thing within the US. But that was a long time ago (~15 yrs).
    We just started working on acquiring a job with the Canadian AF. Would be a nice departure from working on satellite comm equip every day. Can't say much... you might be our competitor!

#374 7 years ago
    Quoted from pinball_faz:

IMO you need to find the joy in anything you do.

Exactly! And it doesn't matter what you do or how much you make as long as you are happy doing it.

0 (resized).jpg0 (resized).jpg

#375 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Exactly! And it doesn't matter what you do or how much you make as long as you are happy doing it.

I actually had a blast doing each of those jobs; most for minimum wage.

The dishwasher job was especially a riot. I was 17 and had a great relationship with the store manager. It was a contest for him to find something in my dishroom that was dirty. By the end of that summer I had such a system that he'd be crawling under shelves, running his hands behind equipment (still could not find dirt) although I called BS when he popped the ceiling tiles. The easiest part about doing the job was feeding the automatic dishwasher. Each load took 1.5 min... I can clean a lot in that 1.5 min and the time adds up.

Good Times!
    faz

#376 7 years ago

Well the non profit I work for is closing its doors in a month which sucks. We were a great Non-Profit Solar Company. We built over 7 mega watts of commercial sized systems for schools, tribes, and other non-profits in the state of Nevada. I started as a crew member and am currently the Director of Construction. Our crew laid its last panel yesterday and reality is starting to sink in. They are the greatest bunch of guys I have had the pleasure of knowing.

RIP Black Rock Solar.

#377 7 years ago

District Service Manager for a major automotive manufacturer. Not saying which one. I already work way to many hours. Majored in automotive Management in college. Cool to know what others do to afford their pins.

#378 7 years ago

Firefighter Engineer Paramedic
    Dad
    Part time Home Theater Audio Video sales/install
    Full time pinball/gaming/pc building NERD!

#379 7 years ago
    Quoted from pinworthy:

» YouTube video
    We also build procedures into some of the most terrain challenged airports imaginable to allow safe approaches when the weather is bad. I know most passengers don't put much thought into the pilot's view and how he finds the runway when visibility in poor. This is a great example the first 2 mins is very scenic and keep that view in mind.
    » YouTube video
    I do my job so the pilot can do his (disclaimer I did not design that particular approach but I have done some into very similar locations)

For the love of God, Please make the RNAV arrivals less complicated.

#380 7 years ago

lol love how many people work for a "major" company or "the largest" within an industry and/or make sure to note they are the "senior" or "lead" ..designer, engineer,etc gotta make that job / title sound elite! and powerful!

#381 7 years ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

lol love how many people work for a "major" company or "the largest" within an industry and/or make sure to note they are the "senior" or "lead" ..designer, engineer,etc gotta make that job / title sound elite! and powerful!

I get enough crap from my job, don't need any from pinside members. If everyone knew what I do my e-mail will blow up.... This is fun, work is work and I already work 60-70 hours per week. I just want a hobby and haven't got to involve my job. I just offered it up so everyone got an idea of what I do per the thread.

Kudos to all our service members out there, be it fire, military, medical or other. THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE!

#382 7 years ago
    Quoted from irobot:

Civil engineer.
    People who respond to these types of threads on the internet are usually the people with pretty good jobs.
    Rarely do you see a guy say that he sorts trash at a recycling center or something like that.
    Or mops the floors at a peep show.

Mopping peep show floors is just a hobby when Im not flippin....

#383 7 years ago
    Quoted from Spg101:

I get enough crap from my job, don't need any from pinside members. If everyone knew what I do my e-mail will blow up.... This is fun, work is work and I already work 60-70 hours per week. I just want a hobby and haven't got to involve my job. I just offered it up so everyone got an idea of what I do per the thread.
    Kudos to all our service members out there, be it fire, military, medical or other. THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE!

It's all good man, just making a general observation from the thread that I thought was amusing, wasn't trying to single any one person out or start crap.

It's Indeed interesting to see what people onhere do .. not surprised that there's lots of the tech industry represented , but quite a few other types of jobs out there

#384 7 years ago

01001110 01100101 01110100 01110111 01101111 01110010 01101011 00100000 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 01101001 01110011 01110100 01110010 01100001 01110100 01101111 01110010

#385 7 years ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

It's all good man, just making a general observation from the thread that I thought was amusing, wasn't trying to single any one person out or start crap.
    It's Indeed interesting to see what people onhere do .. not surprised that there's lots of the tech industry represented , but quite a few other types of jobs out there

Thank you, maybe I was taking it a little personal. If you understood what I do you might think differently. I have customer's calling me at 10:00 PM on a Friday night. While I don't have much of a life, I try to make one. Wife and kids get pretty mad at me for the hours I work. Want a hobby that doesn't involve it. This is all new to me, know cars and have done some TV repair. This can't be much different.

#386 7 years ago

For any jimmy buffett fans on here....seemed kind of appropriate

#387 7 years ago
    Quoted from pacmanretro:

For any jimmy buffett fans on here....seemed kind of appropriate
    » YouTube video

Least you guys have a sense of humor. HA!

#388 7 years ago
    Quoted from Magic_Mike:

01001110 01100101 01110100 01110111 01101111 01110010 01101011 00100000 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 01101001 01110011 01110100 01110010 01100001 01110100 01101111 01110010

Ah, a Network Bit Banger!

#389 7 years ago
    Quoted from Spg101:

Least you guys have a sense of humor. HA!

It was sincerely meant as a fun post for whole group...I hope it didn't sound like I was further instigating anything specific...I sincerely wasnt....im just a big buffett B-Side geek. Lol.

#390 7 years ago
    Quoted from Magic_Mike:

Uh oh -- looks like we have a bot account!

#391 7 years ago

To make sure to include myself on here, I am an electronic tech and have worked for a couple different larger and smaller companies as a number of titles...some with people under me, some not...

Have had a decent range of electromechanical and electronic experience, and have spent a few years working at a board house as a test/troubleshoot/repair board tech.

Too many variety of electronics to bother mentioning....from coin op, to high power RF/microwave, to radio transmission/broadcast, etc...

#392 7 years ago

Maintenance Technician for a national check printing company. If you own your own business there's a very good chance your checks were printed and shipped from our plant in Louisville, KY.
    I play music VERY part time just on a fill in basis when someone needs a drummer.
    I also flip burgers at the Salem Speedway during the summer. A little weekend cash and all the Mt. Dew Code Red I can drink!
    Seriously considering buying a well established local restaurant that just came up for sale which would certainly change all of the above. Scary!!
    -Steve

Added over 7 years ago: Decided NOT to buy the restaurant... I already work 60 hours a week, not wanting to add 20 more to it.

#393 7 years ago

U.S. Army Paratrooper, when I am not deployed I run an arcade. Just got back from my 5th deployment this month and damn it feels good to be back! Plan on staying back stateside longer as I have some schooling to complete, but who knows? I had a lot of contractor offers and unit reassignment offers while deployed last so we shall see.

I have a very nice system set up that balances my karma, when not at war making the world a safer place one less terrorist at a time, I build custom arcade machines for fun centers and families. An odd combination to be sure but it works for me.

#394 7 years ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

Nothing wrong with people taking pride in what they do. This country could use a little bit more of that, imho.

#395 7 years ago
    Quoted from capguntrooper:

U.S. Army Paratrooper, when I am not deployed I run an arcade. Just got back from my 5th deployment this month and damn it feels good to be back! Plan on staying back stateside longer as I have some schooling to complete, but who knows? I had a lot of contractor offers and unit reassignment offers while deployed last so we shall see.
    I have a very nice system set up that balances my karma, when not at war making the world a safer place one less terrorist at a time, I build custom arcade machines for fun centers and families. An odd combination to be sure but it works for me.

Welcome back! I didn't know you'd returned and it's great to have you home safe and sound.

#396 7 years ago
    Quoted from Magic_Mike:

Network Administrator

Geek!
    faz

#397 7 years ago
    Quoted from Magic_Mike:

Is this a Rush song?

#398 7 years ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

You might be surprised how much coaching is given employees regarding the use of social media and providing company info, even on your personal time. This is especially true for companies with govt contracts or significant IP at stake. I "described" my company rather than state the name because web crawlers look for crap like that. I would love to post the videos that I have of my work but to make sure I don't violate policy I used publicly available media (posted by a customer in one case). So while it may seem like a self-aggrandizement there may be good reasons. see below

Quoted from G-P-E:

Small world! We did the exact same thing within the US. But that was a long time ago (~15 yrs).
    We just started working on acquiring a job with the Canadian AF. Would be a nice departure from working on satellite comm equip every day. Can't say much... you might be our competitor!

It is a fairly small community when you think about it.
    I built and maintain several within the US but they are more cookie-cutter and not as interesting.
    Yep, I totally understand

Quoted from Lonzo:

For the love of God, Please make the RNAV arrivals less complicated.

LOL the pilot side of me agrees...the designer doesn't

#399 7 years ago

Owner of a Transportation/ Limousine Company. Town & Country Limousines (of Southwest Florida Inc.)

#400 7 years ago
    Quoted from pinbuoy:

Is this a Rush song?

Body Electric from Power Windows ?

There are 921 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 19.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-do-you-do-for-a-living/page/8 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.