(Topic ID: 183759)

What do you do for a living

By gregfilek

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1202 (resized).jpeg
    0EE5013D-1126-4302-B681-CBB4939A1DEF (resized).jpeg
    7D4B12D8-52B5-43BB-AB64-F5FF318D0D1C (resized).jpeg
    EBBCB3AE-F36A-4F68-8031-B143A7D15D27 (resized).png
    IMG_20191205_105516405_BURST000_COVER (resized).jpg
    Austin Powers Not Mine (resized).png
    IMG_6434[1] (resized).JPG
    image (resized).jpeg
    architect (resized).jpg
    8F8B02FC-FB88-4273-A4AA-FA770D1F454F (resized).jpeg
    3FB2E8C5-BB16-4280-B5A2-A340136F6469 (resized).jpeg
    7656EF22-66C2-4681-BC36-8780CE958EF8 (resized).jpeg
    CFDE8F3A-ADA9-4C13-B9AC-7F1A5EB7C2FF (resized).jpeg
    63F92465-7D80-4DFF-9BB4-9609E99EF128 (resized).jpeg
    8846A7A5-EB68-4FF0-9886-B8C68267E853 (resized).jpeg
    54336895-07C7-416C-96FE-D68591D5D6E7 (resized).jpeg
    There are 921 posts in this topic. You are on page 16 of 19.
    #751 6 years ago
    Quoted from fisherdaman:

I'm an account manager for a major cheese company. I work with some of the funniest people and I have a view of the green mountains from my desk.

Did I ever tell you my pizza joke?

Nevermind. It's too cheesey.

#752 6 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

I used to spin records. Now I have a much more boring life as a tech founder (with more pinball).

72f713d4e96119e6704bf620d9da1232 (resized).jpg72f713d4e96119e6704bf620d9da1232 (resized).jpg

#753 6 years ago

I almost forgot fellow babies....BOOGER

#754 6 years ago

I write music, orchestrate music, mix music, master sounds, create sound effects, wrangle speech clips, program interactive audio scripts and fix pinball machines (when necessary), proudly since 1987.....

#755 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

I almost forgot fellow babies....BOOGER

All right, up against the wall. I've killed a lot of old people in my life.

As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

#756 6 years ago

I have a consulting firm that works with auto manufacturers to improve customer experience and dealer profitability

#757 6 years ago
    Quoted from Ns2973:

I have a consulting firm that works with auto manufacturers to improve customer experience and dealer profitability

Wait, so you're the reason I get 3 online surveys for 1 damn oil change?

#758 6 years ago
    Quoted from BillySastard:

Always supply a burner acCOuNt for email adresses on anything at the CONsumer level....

#759 6 years ago
    Quoted from NPO:

Serving this amazing country. 8 years down. 12 to go.

Thank You for your service!!!

5 months later
    #760 5 years ago

Ex beer store owner. Almost died, sepsis,stroke, open heart surgery. Couldn't get unemployment because 7 months earlier got out of it and went part time working for a friend, so 7 months screwed me of 18 years of work. Couldn't work, wife had daughter, I stayed home for 5 years as a sick stay at home dad. I have a bachelor's degree with honors, owned a business for years and can't get a job at a book store or coffee shop where 18 year olds work. I think I found a new discrimination fellas. How many stay at home Dad's found it easy to get a job? That's not a man's job right? So after this I wanted to go back to school anyway. I'm in school for Surgical Technology, one year left! I also just got rejected for part-time jobs at BAM books, Burlington coat factory, and Wegmans foods. Apparently I'm not qualified to push carts ladies and gentlemen, what is going on here!

#761 5 years ago
    Quoted from BillySastard:

I'm actually the guy that tries to get rid of those surveys.

#762 5 years ago

We have a flooring store in Colorado Springs.

dreamhomeinteriorscs.com

#763 5 years ago
    Quoted from Frippertron:

Ex beer store owner. Almost died, sepsis,stroke, open heart surgery. Couldn't get unemployment because 7 months earlier got out of it and went part time working for a friend, so 7 months screwed me of 18 years of work. Couldn't work, wife had daughter, I stayed home for 5 years as a sick stay at home dad. I have a bachelor's degree with honors, owned a business for years and can't get a job at a book store or coffee shop where 18 year olds work. I think I found a new discrimination fellas. How many stay at home Dad's found it easy to get a job? That's not a man's job right? So after this I wanted to go back to school anyway. I'm in school for Surgical Technology, one year left! I also just got rejected for part-time jobs at BAM books, Burlington coat factory, and Wegmans foods. Apparently I'm not qualified to push carts ladies and gentlemen, what is going on here!

What's your degree? I think often that most of the jobs you describe applying to aren't going to take someone with advanced education, because they think that you'll just bolt once you find something in your field. If that's where you want to work, I think you need to make that clear to them. You're also probably better off just filling out an application than submitting a resume in that case.

If you want to get into your field, consider having a professional service write your resume. Gaps in employment may scare some companies off, but maybe disclose what you were doing on your resume during that time - or take some certificate classes to prove that your experience isn't obsolete.

Also try going back to your alma mater - often they'll have programs designed to help with placement, or job boards, or should at least be able to point you in the right direction. It's in their best interest to get you into a job so they can call you for money!

Good luck!

#764 5 years ago
    Quoted from HD_Fatboy:

Thank You for your service!!!

#765 5 years ago
    Quoted from Deaconblooze:

What's your degree? I think often that most of the jobs you describe applying to aren't going to take someone with advanced education, because they think that you'll just bolt once you find something in your field. If that's where you want to work, I think you need to make that clear to them. You're also probably better off just filling out an application than submitting a resume in that case.
    If you want to get into your field, consider having a professional service write your resume. Gaps in employment may scare some companies off, but maybe disclose what you were doing on your resume during that time - or take some certificate classes to prove that your experience isn't obsolete.
    Also try going back to your alma mater - often they'll have programs designed to help with placement, or job boards, or should at least be able to point you in the right direction. It's in their best interest to get you into a job so they can call you for money!
    Good luck!

My degree is in Business Admin. I'm only applying for part time positions and nobody wants to interview someone who hasn't worked in 5 years. I've been bringing up two kids basically alone, my wife works 70 hours per week and my nearest family is a sister a solid 4 hour drive from me and my parents who retired in South Carolina, a 15 hour drive away. Honestly, it feels like discrimination because I put my family first these last few years. I've applied for tons of jobs, my resume is sound, I'm in school work towards a medical career with credentials, so it's not that big of a deal, but I don't think I can get an interview at McDonald's right now.

#766 5 years ago
    Quoted from Frippertron:

My degree is in Business Admin. I'm only applying for part time positions and nobody wants to interview someone who hasn't worked in 5 years. I've been bringing up two kids basically alone, my wife works 70 hours per week and my nearest family is a sister a solid 4 hour drive from me and my parents who retired in South Carolina, a 15 hour drive away. Honestly, it feels like discrimination because I put my family first these last few years. I've applied for tons of jobs, my resume is sound, I'm in school work towards a medical career with credentials, so it's not that big of a deal, but I don't think I can get an interview at McDonald's right now.

Good on you for bouncing back. You figured it out, life throws you those curveballs

#767 5 years ago

Retiring at 55. Gonna burn through my reserves then go on welfare.

#768 5 years ago
    Quoted from smokey_789:

Retiring at 55. Gonna burn through my reserves then go on welfare.

GENIUS!!

Or shoot someone and head into a warm facility with 3 squares and cable tv!

#769 5 years ago

Still doing Nothing and very Happy!

Highly recommend taking the fastest road to Retirement.

#770 5 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Working as fast as I can...but got 13 years left. Inheritance or lottery (if I ever play) will speed it up. Goal is to retire before I’m disabled. MS is an unpredictable bitch...but I’ve been lucky so far.

#771 5 years ago

7 years to go...50 can't come quick enough

#772 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

7 years to go...50 can't come quick enough

If you only make it to 51, maybe it should come slower.

LTG : )

#773 5 years ago

Help desk / desktop support, insurance company.

#774 5 years ago

I work for Beers.

#775 5 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

7 weeks to go for me

#776 5 years ago
    Quoted from yzfguy:

7 weeks to go for me

Congrats!

Its really amazing to wake up everyday, with no email, problems, bosses, or employees!
    Almost zero stress.......like a permanent vacation!!!

Once I finish restoring my hurricane home, and clean out the office, I can wake up and go...
    hmmm do I read, nap, or play pinball!

#777 5 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Congrats!
    Its really amazing to wake up everyday, with no email, problems, bosses, or employees!
    Almost zero stress.......like a permanent vacation!!!
    Once I finish restoring my hurricane home, and clean out the office, I can wake up and go...
    hmmm do I read, nap, or play pinball!

That sounds like a dream! I only have around 8,500 days to go until retirement, lol.

#778 5 years ago

I can’t wait to retire & do even less than I do now

#779 5 years ago

People that have retired give us all hope.
    Less than 2 years and driving on I-95 and 495- DC Beltway twice each day I wander if I will survive long enough.
    Have thought about starting a topic like Traffic should not be like playing pinball.

#780 5 years ago

We'll since we're posting what we do for a living. I've got one to post on the flip side.

We are North Texas' largest Arcade/Pinball Retail Gameroom Store and distributors for
    Stern Pinball, American Pinball, Chicago Gaming, Valley/Dynamo, Champion Shuffleboards and Shelti/Gold Standard.
    We have over 100 pinball machines and arcade games on our 5,000 square foot showroom floor.
    We are looking for a full time pinball/arcade technician. Ideal candidate should be well skilled
    in refurbishing/arcade games and pinball machines and be handy with soldering iron, multi-meter
    amongst other tools of the trade. Knowledge about moving, recovering pool tables a BIG PLUS.
    Must be able to assist with lifting heavy games up/down staircases for home deliveries and pick ups.
    In addition to technician and delivery assistance candidate must be willing to work two Saturdays a
    month and assist as one of our sales associates.
    Pay varies by experience.

If fixing games is your passion and you'd like to turn your hobby into a job/career. Give me a shout.

Job is located in Mesquite, Texas.

facebook_tpf2016 (resized).jpgfacebook_tpf2016 (resized).jpg

#781 5 years ago

General Manger for the number 2 school transportation company in the USA.

#782 5 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

That sounds like a dream! I only have around 8,500 days to go until retirement, lol.

Are we talking calendar days or actual work days?

#783 5 years ago
    Quoted from zh2oson:

Are we talking calendar days or actual work days?

Calendar thankfully!

#784 5 years ago

I'm a Bob Cratchit, work at place where the pay is small and the stress is large. Charles Dickens got it right with "The Christmas Carol" but I have no wife or children. Kind of cold in here right now as we need another lump of coal on the fire.

#785 5 years ago
    Quoted from wdennie:

General Manger for the number 2 school transportation company in the USA.

Do you consider First Student your primary competitor?

#787 5 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Calendar thankfully!

Shaves about 9 years off the total. Congrats.

#788 5 years ago

Stay at home dad that makes playfield rails.IMG_9046 (resized).JPGIMG_9046 (resized).JPG IMG_9038 (resized).JPGIMG_9038 (resized).JPGfullsizeoutput_13d5 (resized).jpegfullsizeoutput_13d5 (resized).jpegIMG_9077 (resized).JPGIMG_9077 (resized).JPGIMG_9078 (resized).JPGIMG_9078 (resized).JPGfullsizeoutput_13e4 (resized).jpegfullsizeoutput_13e4 (resized).jpeg

#789 5 years ago
    Quoted from zh2oson:

Shaves about 9 years off the total. Congrats.

Yup! Only 24 more years to go...lol.

#790 5 years ago

Retired at 55. Work part time for UNC Surplus Property.Restore solid wood furniture. Have a Print Shop specializing in scanning, photo restoration and prints. Antique sales/ service.
    Oh,and I repair EM pinball machines. Hope to take my first customer repair job soon.

#791 5 years ago

I got a 7 day taste of retirement last week

Fort Walton Beach FL

I think the rule is you must be tan, old & drive a 15 yr old Lexus LS in white that's always meticulously detailed.

Crawfish etoufee Benedict's, mimosas, folding chairs, pill bottles & condos.

Sp500 is stupid high & if you're old it's clearly time to spend it before the bears take it. Or the reaper.

Fuck, that is a good life.

#792 5 years ago

HVAC inside sales. I try to help contractors from 4 New England states. I said try, because sometimes it is not easy. Just to let you folks know, Some of the people you are letting into your home to fix your AC or heat, are not all that bright. A typical call can go something like this.

Contractor "I need to replace a Goodman furnace, but it has to be an exact match of what is in the attic now. Same BTUs, efficiency, and it has to have the same dimensions, or it will not fit. Oh and it needs to have a variable speed ECM motor. Basically I need the same furnace that the customer had before."

Me "Ok. What is the model of the existing unit?"

Contractor "I don't know."

Me

#793 5 years ago
    Quoted from hassellcastle:

We'll since we're posting what we do for a living. I've got one to post on the flip side.
    We are North Texas' largest Arcade/Pinball Retail Gameroom Store and distributors for
    Stern Pinball, American Pinball, Chicago Gaming, Valley/Dynamo, Champion Shuffleboards and Shelti/Gold Standard.
    We have over 100 pinball machines and arcade games on our 5,000 square foot showroom floor.
    We are looking for a full time pinball/arcade technician. Ideal candidate should be well skilled
    in refurbishing/arcade games and pinball machines and be handy with soldering iron, multi-meter
    amongst other tools of the trade. Knowledge about moving, recovering pool tables a BIG PLUS.
    Must be able to assist with lifting heavy games up/down staircases for home deliveries and pick ups.
    In addition to technician and delivery assistance candidate must be willing to work two Saturdays a
    month and assist as one of our sales associates.
    Pay varies by experience.
    If fixing games is your passion and you'd like to turn your hobby into a job/career. Give me a shout.
    Job is located in Mesquite, Texas.

Dosen't sound like FUN. That's a big laundry list of skill sets plus back breaking labor and weekends.

#794 5 years ago

20160708_211851 (resized).jpg20160708_211851 (resized).jpg

#795 5 years ago

I work in a maximum security prison. Boring at times and extremely hectic at times.

14 birthdays until retirement

#796 5 years ago
    Quoted from ImNotNorm:

I work in a maximum security prison. Boring at times and extremely hectic at times.

Sheesh I bet the boring times are the best times....

#797 5 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

Sheesh I bet the boring times are the best times....

Boring is good.

#798 5 years ago
    Quoted from ImNotNorm:

I couldn't imagine having to watch my back all the time. Are the inmates on lockdown most of the time or are they out of their cells?

#799 5 years ago

Was an Electrical engineer for the last 21 years.
    Just stopped working 8 months ago. Just diognosed with Multiple Scrolsis. At 43. So now i guess officially retired.
    On Canadian disability pension.

Just gonna enjoy things now. And play more pinball.

#800 5 years ago

I buy companies. Break them up into smaller more profitable entities and then sell them.

There are 921 posts in this topic. You are on page 16 of 19.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-do-you-do-for-a-living/page/16?hl=mr9865 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.