(Topic ID: 183759)

What do you do for a living

By gregfilek

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1202 (resized).jpeg
    0EE5013D-1126-4302-B681-CBB4939A1DEF (resized).jpeg
    7D4B12D8-52B5-43BB-AB64-F5FF318D0D1C (resized).jpeg
    EBBCB3AE-F36A-4F68-8031-B143A7D15D27 (resized).png
    IMG_20191205_105516405_BURST000_COVER (resized).jpg
    Austin Powers Not Mine (resized).png
    IMG_6434[1] (resized).JPG
    image (resized).jpeg
    architect (resized).jpg
    8F8B02FC-FB88-4273-A4AA-FA770D1F454F (resized).jpeg
    3FB2E8C5-BB16-4280-B5A2-A340136F6469 (resized).jpeg
    7656EF22-66C2-4681-BC36-8780CE958EF8 (resized).jpeg
    CFDE8F3A-ADA9-4C13-B9AC-7F1A5EB7C2FF (resized).jpeg
    63F92465-7D80-4DFF-9BB4-9609E99EF128 (resized).jpeg
    8846A7A5-EB68-4FF0-9886-B8C68267E853 (resized).jpeg
    54336895-07C7-416C-96FE-D68591D5D6E7 (resized).jpeg

There are 921 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 19.
    #551 6 years ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

It hurts when I pee!

Go see yur Ologist...

#552 6 years ago

Union Steel Worker for 12 years. Local 454
    Now Director of Children's Ministry for Celebrate Recovery at our church here in town. We work with children whose parents are drug and alcohol addicts, victims of abuse, wether mental or physical. This doesn't pay the 32 dollars an hour I was making, but the reward comes later.
    In the summers I have a lawn buisness. I started this 6 years ago when my son was 14. He showed no signs of going to college, so I thought this would be something he could take over at 18. Well after one summer of 7 days a week, 10 to 12 hour days, my son said, " This is the worst ever!" He buckled down, turned around and got a full ride scholarship to college. Now I am stuck with it. I shouldn't complain, I make a crazy amount of money, I mean crazy, and with my 12 year old coming up, it's his turn now to get worked so hard that he says, I am going to college, this sucks!!

#553 6 years ago

Went from owning a wholesale picture framing business doing Warner Bros. & Disney Animation to becoming an elected official.
    Now retired.

#554 6 years ago
    Quoted from gregfilek:

Just wondering what everybody does for a living.

What does the OP do for a living gregfilek ?

#555 6 years ago
    Quoted from woz:

What does the OP do for a living gregfilek ?

A professional identity thief?

#556 6 years ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

It hurts when I pee!

Stop peeing on electric fences.

#557 6 years ago

Uhh ya!!! Eeets my favorite game in the whole wide world...

images-4 (resized).jpgimages-4 (resized).jpg

#558 6 years ago
    Quoted from hassellcastle:

Going on two years and doing what I love. Coolest job in the world. Sales Manager at FUN! Billiards & Gameroom Superstore.

hassellcastle - Are you the guy that I spoke to when purchasing my Xenon a few days ago? I'm so psyched - can't wait!

#559 6 years ago

Retired family doctor. Started and ran a medical ministry clinic for 12 years - Hill Country Medical Ministries. Then, I started a medical software company in 1996, while still practicing. It eventually became profitable and I sold it in 2015. Now I'm a full time pinball collector, backgammon player and physical laborer for my wife's craft business....

#560 6 years ago
    Quoted from RandomGuyOffCL:

yard maintenance device operator...

Lawn Height Reduction Engineer

#561 6 years ago

Build and maintain power lines.

IMAG0641.jpgIMAG0641.jpg

#562 6 years ago

I buy businesses and break them up and sell them as parts for more money

#563 6 years ago
    Quoted from EricHadley:

I buy businesses and break them up and sell them as parts for more money

Mr. Gekko, or Edward Lewis, we need to talk.

LTG : )

#564 6 years ago
    Quoted from Seatmandan:

Dassault Systemes, eh?
    To be honest, the things we draw in Catia V5 could never be done in Solidworks. Too many complex Class-A surfaces that need to have the ability to be manipulated. We could use Solidworks to do the things like fasteners, Steel brackets, plastic screw grommets, etc. but never the production designs of interior trim panels that need to be fully parametric. Also, we manage large assemblies that have complex BOMs and Catia does that extremely well.
    Here's a good Q&A on the differences between the 2 softwares
    https://grabcad.com/questions/what-is-the-difference-between-catia-and-solidworks--1

Ì worked as a consultant on ENOVIA software solutions for almost 10 years but changed fields over 2 years ago. A little bit of CATIA here and there too...
    I even worked for a couple of months at the Dassault office.

#565 6 years ago

Automation Engineer - Program PLCs (programmable logic controllers) and HMIs (human machine interfaces) of all brands, styles, and varieties.

Spend about as much time in the office, as on the road at different industrial and production sites starting up the equipment I program. Nothing as satisfying as seeing a whole bunch of equipment move together and do some task after it had been just a thought or design on paper 6 months earlier.

Thinking about starting a rolling thread of all my pinball adventures. If I get any downtime on the road, usually try to find a local pinball place.

#566 6 years ago
    Quoted from orangestorm87:

Automation Engineer - Program PLCs (programmable logic controllers) and HMIs (human machine interfaces) of all brands, styles, and varieties.
    Spend about as much time in the office, as on the road at different industrial and production sites starting up the equipment I program. Nothing as satisfying as seeing a whole bunch of equipment move together and do some task after it had been just a thought or design on paper 6 months earlier.
    Thinking about starting a rolling thread of all my pinball adventures. If I get any downtime on the road, usually try to find a local pinball place.

I spent ten years in CAD/PLM, I've been in NDT for 2 years now.
    All those TLAs sure pay the bills.

#567 6 years ago
    Quoted from KozMckPinball:

I work for SolidWorks

Nice, just attended solidworks world in Februrary in Los Angeles. Great conference, lots of great demos, especially the morning sessions

I'm a mechanical designer

#568 6 years ago

Milwaukee, eh? A-B Quality....

#569 6 years ago

I am local 3 union electrical Forman working on some awesome projects in NYC for 25 yrs.

#570 6 years ago

Floor trader down at the Chicago Mercantile Exchange. Trade Eurodollar options.
    Only thing I've ever done.

#571 6 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

Nice, just attended solidworks world in Februrary in Los Angeles. Great conference, lots of great demos, especially the morning sessions
    » YouTube video

Looks like a cult.

#572 6 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

» YouTube video
    I'm a mechanical designer

Awesome. Last year ICE brought a Super Chexx and Stern brought Game of Thrones machines to SolidWorks World, both products were designed with SolidWorks.

#573 6 years ago

Do you use iFIX at all? I used to work for Intellution\GE Fanuc.

#574 6 years ago

Awesome. Last year ICE brought a Super Chexx and Stern brought Game of Thrones machines to SolidWorks World, both products were designed with SolidWorks.

I heard.. this year they brought this mechwarrior looking robot, a driving simulation with full hydraulics, and a 3d printed drone. Of course the whole schlew of vendors (3d printers, VR equipment, etc). Mid-week they rented out several blocks at Paramount studios and brought in catering and booze. There was also an arcade with vids, a giant fooseball tables, and 2 pins:

sw_2017 (resized).jpgsw_2017 (resized).jpg

#575 6 years ago
    Quoted from RCA1:

Lawn Height Reduction Engineer

Senior Lead Director VP of a large leading Lawn Height Reduction Engineering consultanting firm

#576 6 years ago

Gosh, I remeber when it was GMFanuc Robotics.

#577 6 years ago
    Quoted from PW79:

Senior Lead Director VP of a large leading Lawn Height Reduction Engineering consultanting firm

Ohh, a bulls&$t artist....did you bulls&$t last week....did you try to bulls&$t...

#578 6 years ago
    Quoted from bowz:

I used to come into Chicago a couple times a week to repair all the monitors used on the trade floors at CBOE....and a lot of the PC's.

#579 6 years ago

Service Tech Electronics HVAC ECT

#580 6 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Milwaukee, eh? A-B Quality....

Ha ya, just kind of fell into the line of work. Got a degree in Computer Engineering, living in Milwaukee, and with Rockwell (AB) right there it just kind of happened. Don't actually work for Rockwell, but a small Systems Integrator in the area. Though I travel the world, because its where the end customer is located that matters.

Yup, had a big iFIX project last year that was actually running the "test bench" for large diesel engines. Not necessaryily controlling them, but collecting data on how the engine was running. And when I say large, I mean like you could take a nap in one of the cylinders.

#581 6 years ago
    Quoted from PhilGreg:

I spent ten years in CAD/PLM, I've been in NDT for 2 years now.
    All those TLAs sure pay the bills.

Ha, well unfortunately no overtime when I am on site starting up equipment. Usually pulling 15+ hour days trying to meet deadlines for production to start. But collect a lot of air and hotel points for when I do ever get any time off

#582 6 years ago

Ha, well unfortunately no overtime when I am on site starting up equipment. Usually pulling 15+ hour days trying to meet deadlines for production to start. But collect a lot of air and hotel points for when I do ever get any time off

I was mostly pointing out how a lot of jobs are related to Three Letter Acronyms

#583 6 years ago
    Quoted from PhilGreg:

I was mostly pointing out how a lot of jobs are related to Three Letter Acronyms

Working here would be the ultimate meta for TLA. Your company TLA is TLA.

http://venue.tlaphilly.com

#584 6 years ago

I've worked electrical construction for a little better than 40 years. The last 25 have been self employed. I used to love my job but over the last 5 years or so, I started to hate it. I think someone was telling me to retire. Did that about 6 months ago.

Nothing but pinball restorations now. I make a quarter of the money I used to and couldn't be happier!!

#585 6 years ago

It's all about the points.....

#586 6 years ago

I love meeting people, helping customers, and have a great time as a Sales Manager for a PC Board Contract Manufacturer. We make boards for pinball machines, and many other industries. We have even made some Mil/Aero boards for Lockheed Martin, Excellon, and Rockwell Collins. We have (4) Surface Mount lines and continue to grow.

My favorite job though was working for Williams/Bally/Midway in the 90's -- the hayday of pinball! We were making 75,000 games per year, and about 330 per day at the peak. Great times! I would get to work early every morning to play the new games. The Williams team was awesome!

#587 6 years ago
    Quoted from bowz:

Hah now we really need to get together. I'm across the street at the CBOE in the SPX pit. Weird.

#588 6 years ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

Hah now we really need to get together. I'm across the street at the CBOE in the SPX pit. Weird.

That is weird...make it happen.

#589 6 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

I make a quarter of the money I used to and couldn't be happier!!

"a quarter of the money".......... I get it........... pinball.............. "a quarter of the money". Very good.

QSS

#590 6 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

Working here would be the ultimate meta for TLA. Your company TLA is TLA.
    http://venue.tlaphilly.com

#591 6 years ago

I sell propane & propane accessories

#592 6 years ago

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#593 6 years ago

I work in IT for the manufacturer of Kleenex and Huggies, been there since 1989

#594 6 years ago

I am a certified sandwich transportation technician... Also known as a delivery driver for Jimmy Johns. And yes, I am freaky fast.

#595 6 years ago

I get insurance for Insurance companies (called Reinsurance) covering Natural catastrophes & Terrorism. Most of our cover is in the States. What many people don't realize is that when these terrible events occur, people make lots of money. Sad but true.

#596 6 years ago

I'm a dancing teacher for around 18 years now!!!
    Only part-time for now, pinball mods are taking too much time now.

...and I love it.

#597 6 years ago
    Quoted from pacmanretro:

Ohh, a bulls&$t artist....did you bulls&$t last week....did you try to bulls&$t..

#598 6 years ago
    Quoted from Miguel351:

I learned AutoCAD in DOS when I was in college because my professor didn't trust Windows 3.1.

I started on AutoCAD DOS too, like ver 2.3 or something? 1988-89?

#599 6 years ago

I don't remember what version it was off-hand, but I had the class in '93, if that helps. I remember him saying that he didn't fully trust the power of most Windows 3.1 machines and that if we learned it in DOS, making the switch to Windows would be way easier than the other way around. I'm sure he was right.

#600 6 years ago

Kitchen/bath remodeler, and I build custom cabinetry.

There are 921 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 19.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-do-you-do-for-a-living/page/12 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.