(Topic ID: 36604)

What do you check before you buy a machine?

By pinnyheadhead

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 47 posts
  • 35 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by csprings74
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Picture_423.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinnyheadhead.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 11 years ago

Hey everyone, I am getting ready to buy my first pin (with my awsome wife's support also!). already did research on good games in my price point - $2000, cabinet condition, what I like, etc.. The next step and question for you guys is when I am out looking at a pin to purchase - what am I suppossed to check and can check mechanically with the machine while at the location? Being my first pin I expect the machine to have to be tinkered with over time, but would like to avoid buying a "lemon".

#3 11 years ago

Oh, looking at Black Knight 2000 and High Speed 2. Got it - I will give a good look over and take the glass off to test all the features. I plan on trying to fix any future problems myself before I call someone to fix ($). I plan to have some maintenance happen on whatever I get, so I consider myself to have reasonable expectations for a first time buyer. Thanks.

#27 11 years ago

Wow, Awsome info! Alot to take in (Am I back in college?). Back glass light on Getaway is out. Playfield looks clean from picture- have not seen yet. $1800. Getting more info as I type.
Black Knight 2000 is at $1950 has been shopped out and sold by a pin fixer/seller. Back glass changed out. One slight dime size ripple on playfield by lower right bumper and lighting bolt on right side of upper playfield very slightly raised - besides that playfield OK. Cabinet is a 7, I would guess. Seller will deliver free and back it with a 30 day warranty parts labor, and phone support free after that. He will service for a charge $ after that to come out. Thanks for the info!

#32 11 years ago

Different seller's. BK 2000 has 30 day + delivery and set up (which is big for me being first pin). Just heard back from other seller and he said Getaway is sold "as is" - I am taking Getaway off the list now because this is a guy who has experience in selling pinballs ( he has 6 other games for sale) and had others around in pictures of pin he sent me. So why wouldn't he fix the back glass lighting problem? Could be lazy or doesn't care or bigger problem he does not want to deal with. All these reasons are not good.

OK BK 2000 price is a little high, but not bad with delivery and having someone who backs machine. I realize "backing machine" could be a bunch of voice mails that don't get returned, but this guy seems OK. Plays fast- I dig it!
If I look under playfield and backglass and have him run a test on Pin with me, would this be a "you did what you could considering this is your first pin" situation?
I plan on pulling the trigger soon, but of course after a do a better machine at a lower price will pop up- happens all the time.
Being a first Pin buyer I also feel that my money is not "gone" after purchase. Money is sitting in the Pin and you can get it out when you sell it. I feel if I maintain a machine reasonably I could get 2/3rds $ back on a Top 100 machine with a fairly quick marketing time. This make me feel good.
Whoa. Long Post -Must- Stop-Now! Thanks

#38 11 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Ok the back glass I will assume is a collection of 20+ bulbs and flashers also. You need to look at the circuit board for where these lights are powered...usually it's J120-121 but not sure aboot this specific game. This is the classic "or there's just a couple lights out no big deal" which turns out to being crispy fried connections that might require you to take out/install new pins on board and new molex end connection. Sound hard? it's not, but if you've never done it before you might be lost.
Rule #2
ALL playfields look great from "the pictures"

Got it. Only thing I do really question is why someone who is knowledgable with pins and sells them regularly would not fix the machine before he sells it. $1800 for Getaway sounds OK, $1800 and later Oh by the way -the back lighting is out and it is "as is" sounds not near as good.

#39 11 years ago
Quoted from GoVols:

I would find out how much time the guy is willing to spend with you when he gets it setup. If he will take an hour and show you how to maintain the machine, how to check coils, diodes, etc, there is definitely some value in that and it will save you frustration down the road. To me that's as valuable as a 30-day warranty. Because really if he's offering a 30 day warranty, then he's probably gone through it thoroughly and is 90%+ sure there isn't going to be an issue. But then again, electronics go bad all the time.

Good idea and I could use this in negotiations in the future instead of just focusing on price.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 85.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 28.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 120.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 19.00
Electronics
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 72.50
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Surfside Beach, SC
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

4,500 (OBO)
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
G-Money Mods

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinnyheadhead.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-do-you-check-before-you-buy-a-machine?tu=pinnyheadhead and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.