(Topic ID: 167290)

What do you charge to lightly "shop" out an EM?

By embryonjohn

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by CrazyLevi
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    #1 7 years ago

Through word of mouth, people are now bringing me pinball machines to shop out. So I gotta ask what the going rate is?
    Case in point: working Bally EM Freedom that needs: rubbers, lights, cleaning, waxing and some minor adjustments. Says the parts are $50. What would you charge in labor?

#2 7 years ago

Here are some pics of the machine in question

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#3 7 years ago

$75 to show up, $50 for additional hours. Let's say it takes you 5 hours, maybe just charge $250. Find out how long it takes you to do a typical EM, then that's your quote.

#4 7 years ago

Do what auto shops do. Charge for 50% to 100% more than cost of parts + a decent hourly. If clients want to bring you parts then they understand that if they are the wrong parts it is on them to handle not you.

So, charge $100 for the parts + whatever you feel your time is worth.

I have no idea of the going rate. I just had my car worked on though and learned some things, lol.

#5 7 years ago

Also depends on how deep a cleaning you're going to do. Clean the plastics? Clean under the plastics? Take all the posts out to clean around them better? Clean all the posts too?

#6 7 years ago

$200-$300. More if the game requires extensive mechanical work.

#7 7 years ago

I'd charge far more then there going to want to pay. Most people when you tell them a dollar amount for working on there game they about a heart attack. Plus there is no way I'd do it at there house because its going to take 20 hours minimum (even to do a "light" shop job) and I'm not spending the night there.
    I guess what I'm trying to say is I wouldn't touch it, even for the $50 and hour price because at 20 hours that's $1000 and there certainly not going to pay that. If you figure $250 divided by 20 hours now your down to $12.50 per hour, plus the moving of the game back and fourth....blah blah blah and then hope they don't call you when one of those new light bulbs goes out, which they will unless you change out every socket in the game and then your talking major time.

This is why I've given up on working on other peoples games. The dollars don't make sense but they certainly turn into cents the longer your tied to it. I'll give them all the free advice they want on how to go about doing it themselves though, I have no problem with that.
    And that's just my two cents.

John P. Dayhuff
    Battle Creek, MI
    269-979-3836

#8 7 years ago

I do some of this for buddies, not typically shop jobs but repairs and the like. I ask to keep the machine for a few months and play the snot out of it as my fee.

#9 7 years ago
    Quoted from Cheddar:

I ask to keep the machine for a few months and play the snot out of it

Thats pretty much how I do it, i charge a flat rate, plus parts, and tell them I will call when its done, but dont hold your breath, I do it as a hobby, and take my time.

#10 7 years ago

I guess I'm gonna learn my lesson this week

#11 7 years ago
    Quoted from Dayhuff:

I'd charge far more then there going to want to pay. Most people when you tell them a dollar amount for working on there game they about a heart attack. Plus there is no way I'd do it at there house because its going to take 20 hours minimum (even to do a "light" shop job) and I'm not spending the night there.
    I guess what I'm trying to say is I wouldn't touch it, even for the $50 and hour price because at 20 hours that's $1000 and there certainly not going to pay that. If you figure $250 divided by 20 hours now your down to $12.50 per hour, plus the moving of the game back and fourth....blah blah blah and then hope they don't call you when one of those new light bulbs goes out, which they will unless you change out every socket in the game and then your talking major time.
    This is why I've given up on working on other peoples games. The dollars don't make sense but they certainly turn into cents the longer your tied to it. I'll give them all the free advice they want on how to go about doing it themselves though, I have no problem with that.
    And that's just my two cents.

John P. Dayhuff
    Battle Creek, MI
    269-979-3836

That's a little drastic.

If someone truly needs their game shopped out, I'll tell them it's gonna be $500-$800 parts included, and they need to either bring the game to me and pick it up, or pay me for delivery.

Surprisingly enough some people take me up on it. That's worth it to me - it's a fair profit on what is generally gonna be 10-15 hours of work.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-do-you-charge-to-lightly-shop-out-an-em and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.