(Topic ID: 309583)

What do you charge for in home pinball machine repairs?

By tomdrum

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 2 years ago

I have a service request on a Stern SS game that's almost a 2 hour round trip job. Been awhile since I've done any in home repairs, I've been busy with my own stuff. What do others charge per hour and for travel? Trying to stay current with pricing.

#2 2 years ago

Local tech in our area charges time on location plus travel time. $75/hour. He does try to schedule several stops in the same general area so that he can spread the travel cost across several customers.

#3 2 years ago

$125 first hour (minimum) $75/hr after. .34 cents a mile (total).

#4 2 years ago

Up around here you’re starting at least $150 just to show up and most repair outfits around here charge $100 an hour. The work they do is atrocious to boot!
    I’ve bought several machines from different people who’ve used local repair guys and the work makes me cringe

#5 2 years ago

How old is the game you are working on? If it’s older and you fix just a broken flipper wire beware when they start playing it again after it’s been sitting for years odds are they’ll find something else sooner than later.

Food for thought.

#6 2 years ago
    Quoted from EJS:

How old is the game you are working on? If it’s older and you fix just a broken flipper wire beware when they start playing it again after it’s been sitting for years odds are they’ll find something else sooner than later.
    Food for thought.

1977 Stern Stingray. After having the owner run diagnostics via phone, sounds like connector re-pinning. Or install some rebuilt boards. Possibly both.

#7 2 years ago

Wow, last time I did a service call was 5 years ago and it was local and I charged $35 an hour plus parts.

#8 2 years ago

I get $125 for 1st hour and $100 each additional hour. No mark up on parts.

#9 2 years ago
    Quoted from tomdrum:

Wow, last time I did a service call was 5 years ago and it was local and I charged $35 an hour plus parts.

Just think of how many plumbers and electricians are out there and what they charge. Then look at pinball a specialized item. They aren’t just paying you for solving that wire back on (still using the same metaphor) they are paying for your expertise, and any chance you drop a screwdriver on the playfield or the playfield or backglass breaks by accident.

#10 2 years ago

I do mine for free

#11 2 years ago
    Quoted from EJS:

Just think of how many plumbers and electricians are out there and what they charge. Then look at pinball a specialized item. They aren’t just paying you for solving that wire back on (still using the same metaphor) they are paying for your expertise, and any chance you drop a screwdriver on the playfield or the playfield or backglass breaks by accident.

As a commercial HVAC tech, my company was charging way more than anyone here listed. Trades have gone through the roof because business is endless right now

#13 2 years ago
    Quoted from EJS:

I do home repairs for a living and my rate for those is currently $55 for the 1st hour and $25 per half hour after that. In rural Central PA, a much more experienced full time pinball tech is charging $60 an hour plus travel time. I am insured of course. Personally, I'd prefer to buy the broken game and haul it home. But in this market, I don't want to overcharge. Customer has 4 games but is clueless with repairs.

#14 2 years ago
    Quoted from EricHadley:

I do mine for free

As do I. It's the best way to do it.

#15 2 years ago
    Quoted from tomdrum:

you need to get paid for your knowledge and experience as well, $35 is no where near enough. Think auto repair, hvac and any house call related repairs.
    Also, for thos eof us who work fast but efficient, hourly wage can penalize us. Charge by the job (not hour), charge initial cost to show up and diagnose, then give the repair estimate.

#16 2 years ago
    Quoted from tomdrum:

. But in this market, I don't want to overcharge.

Not sure what you mean by in this market. Pinball machines in the home are luxury items. Like boats or dirt bikes. If you can't maintain the game yourself, you should be able to afford a skilled tech to repair it. $60 an hour is cheap. I charge more for the first hour (one hour minimum) and include up to one hour of travel time (round trip). Most calls get no travel time charges. After the first hour, I charge a slightly lower hourly rate in 15 minute increments. I also charge the lower rate for travel time over one hour, also in 15 minute increments. Parts get marked up slightly to cover my time ordering the parts and any possible parts warranty issues, which do occasionally happen.

#17 2 years ago
    Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Up around here you’re starting at least $150 just to show up and most repair outfits around here charge $100 an hour. The work they do is atrocious to boot!
    I’ve bought several machines from different people who’ve used local repair guys and the work makes me cringe

I used to do house calls for a company like Geek Squad for computer issues. I’m not defending atrocious work, but there were many times I said “I can hack it together in 1 hour” or “I can fix it correctly in 3 hours” and the client always chose 1 hour. Perhaps that was a factor.

In 2022 there is no one who will walk into your house to fix anything for less than $100/hr. Don’t sell yourself short because of a love of the hobby or feeling guilty about charging people for the true amount of a time for a fix.

#18 2 years ago

I recall a story, I think it was shortly after the Challenger disaster. NASA had an outside tech company inspect the shuttle debris and determined it was the o-ring, put an X on the blueprint of the malfunction.

NASA wanted an explanation for the $10,000 invoice they received.

"Inspection fee:$500. Knowing where to put the X: $9500.00."

#19 2 years ago

Not enough. My issue is that, unbeknownst to me when I moved here, most of the machines I service is in homes that are rented to as vacation get aways. This translates to people playing tables that they could care less about and often abuses it. A homeowner who lives with their machine is someone who actually understands and cares for it.
    The other issue that has soured me on the whole fixing gig. "Flipper doesn't work can you come and fix?" Yes but when I travel 45 minutes, I fix the flipper but notice 5 other things wrong but I don't have the parts on hand.

#20 2 years ago

Fix a broken flipper and a week later a bulb burns out....."WHAT DID YOU DO TO MY MACHINE" no thanks.
    Local calls.....no charge to show up, diagnose and quote. I often end up getting it free or buying it.

#21 2 years ago

I once did a favor for my dads coworker maybe 10 years ago.

Had an HUO SafeCracker in his basement just had the manual ball plunger housing coming loose. Just needed tightening. Probably less than 1,000 plays.

Charged him $75 cause I was in the area.

After I fixed it he took me out to his garage to show me a custom lift for his garage so he could fit a second corvette inside. Both were less than 2 years old. There was a 3rd car in there couldn’t remember what.

Next day get a call from my dad the guy is upset because he thought he was overcharged.

That was the last time I ever charged someone for an in home service call.

#22 2 years ago

I tell people $100 an hour plus parts, after the first hour I charge by the half hour.

All of my time spent repairing other peoples pinball machines is time away from my family, Plus the expertise that I have spent over a decade learning and teaching myself how to repair things quickly, not to mention the small fortune I have spent on tools.

#23 2 years ago

100 bucks to fix local, free if I can't.

#24 2 years ago

I have slowed down repairing EM games since I got back to working a full-time gig, however I will take on jobs from time to time in the DC-NoVa area... first hour + travel is 175/275 depending on miles away from my home and then 75/100 an hour thereafter (75 - previous customers, 100 new).

#25 2 years ago
    Quoted from EJS:

I once did a favor for my dads coworker maybe 10 years ago.
    Had an HUO SafeCracker in his basement just had the manual ball plunger housing coming loose. Just needed tightening. Probably less than 1,000 plays.
    Charged him $75 cause I was in the area.
    After I fixed it he took me out to his garage to show me a custom lift for his garage so he could fit a second corvette inside. Both were less than 2 years old. There was a 3rd car in there couldn’t remember what.
    Next day get a call from my dad the guy is upset because he thought he was overcharged.
    That was the last time I ever charged someone for an in home service call.

I'd say your charge was right on. Then again it only cost me 3 beers and Dave drank those.

#26 2 years ago

Most I know do $125 first hour and around $75 or $85 per hour after.

#27 2 years ago
    Quoted from TimBoch:

I'd say your charge was right on. Then again it only cost me 3 beers and Dave drank those.

We’re easy to please. Much more fun fixing everyone’s stuff for free anyway. You can pick and choose whose stuff you care to work on.

#28 2 years ago

I only did it once, some guy who lived about a mile away called and wanted his Jack in the Box EM cleaned and restored mechanically and electrically so I hauled it to my house and fixed it up. Charged him 300 though that was a loooong time ago. I was doing it more for the enjoyment of it than the money. Worked out fine but that's when I decided to only fix my own machines.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-do-you-charge-for-in-home-pinball-machine-repairs and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.