(Topic ID: 110279)

What do You Call this Move?

By Gemini

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

b3866d6b253aa990fa127cd6f01db91f.jpg
    #1 9 years ago

So in developing my pinball skill set on real machines I've started to get good at doing a very interesting move that I don't know the name of, nor do I see it done often by professional players, so I'm curious if this move has a name:

* The ball is heading down the inlane with average speed.
    * You hold up the flipper hoping it will slow to a trap.
    * The ball slows quite a bit but is in danger of rolling off the tip of the flipper with very little speed and straight down the drain.
    * You do an extremely quickly flip as if you were doing a post transfer just as the ball reaches the tip of the flipper but before it slows down completely, hold up the opposite flipper, and the ball gracefully bounces over for an easy catch on the opposite flipper.

I'm tempted to call it a "Tip Flip" or a "Tip Pass". Does this move actually have a proper name?

#3 9 years ago

Tip pass I call it...

#4 9 years ago

OK, according to PAPA it's a "flick pass".

#5 9 years ago

Papa calls it a flick pass:

Edit: Late to the party.

#6 9 years ago

The key to that kind of pass is having properly adjusted switches.

#7 9 years ago

"Flick Pass" it is then! :B

Though the way I'm doing it isn't exactly like that. I actually flick the ball way before it starts rolling over the tip so it gets some vertical motion but little horizontal motion, that way when it reaches the other side there's not enough horizontal momentum to fly up the inlane or roll back off of the other flipper.

I'll have to record some footage at some point to show what I'm doing, but that's definitely the move, even if I'm not doing it exactly the same way. Thanks, guys! : )

#8 9 years ago

Cool that your learning some advanced techniques. I call that one a tip pass as well. You can also do a very similar move that will keep it on the same flipper.

#9 9 years ago
    Quoted from LOTR_breath:

You can also do a very similar move that will keep it on the same flipper.

That one I've tried a number of times but I still struggle with regaining control when I attempt it. My live catches are slowly getting better, though I still fail them about 80% of the time I try them. Drop catches I fail 99% of the time so I don't even try them anymore. Post Transfers I'm really good at and only catastrophically fail them about 2% of the time, with the other 98% either staying on the flipper or transferring over successfully. Since I'm as good with post transfers as I am I haven't even tried to make an effort to learn Tap Passes, though I imagine I should do a game every so often where post transfers are illegal and thus force myself to do Tap Passes instead, just for practice and to at least have them in my skill set if I ever need them. :B

#10 9 years ago
    Quoted from LOTR_breath:

I call that one a tip pass as well.

Tip pass for me is when the flipper is already cradling one, or more balls (Hiyo!) while another ball is "almost" headed SDTM and you use a quick side nudge to impact said ball with the "tip", right over to the free flipper without dropping the cradled flipper.

Flick pass or Tap pass is the slow rolling variety.
    I personally love the fast rolling pass or, "Flipper Pass."
    You could also call it "Pulling a Dukes of Hazzard" or just "General Lee-ing it", if you prefer the color commentary terms. (All made up in my head mind you... )
    *blasts horn*
    b3866d6b253aa990fa127cd6f01db91f.jpgb3866d6b253aa990fa127cd6f01db91f.jpg

#11 9 years ago

I just saw one of these for the first time recently, and have by trying it too. How exactly are you tapping the flipper button so that it only goes down a fraction of an inch before flipping again? No matter how fast I am, I always get the full flip stroke.

#12 9 years ago
    Quoted from jibmums:

I just saw one of these for the first time recently, and have by trying it too. How exactly are you tapping the flipper button so that it only goes down a fraction of an inch before flipping again? No matter how fast I am, I always get the full flip stroke.

It depends on the machine but the idea is you can't release the button all the way or else yes, you're gonna get a full flip. You need to let go of the button only a little so that when you press it in again it will have had less time to unflip. When you first try doing this on any game the flipper's likely not going to move or will do a full flip, and from there you just have to adjust your timing. Flipper doesn't move, you're not releasing the button enough. Flipper does a full flip you're releasing the button too far or not pressing it back in fast enough. It's also definitely easier to pull off on older games than newer ones.

#13 9 years ago

soooo, if it's a gottlieb, it's a tap pass, if it's DE then it's a tip pass and B/W it's a flick pass, and Capcom it's a toss off.

#14 9 years ago
    Quoted from Gemini:

My live catches are slowly getting better, though I still fail them about 80% of the time I try them. Drop catches I fail 99% of the time so I don't even try them anymore.

Interesting. I find drop catches to be way easier than live catches.

#15 9 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

Interesting. I find drop catches to be way easier than live catches.

I think what it is for me is that I'm failing to recognize WHEN to use drop catches to their best ability, thus I end up trying them when I really shouldn't be using them. : P

#16 9 years ago
    Quoted from Gemini:

I think what it is for me is that I'm failing to recognize WHEN to use drop catches to their best ability, thus I end up trying them when I really shouldn't be using them.

The more techniques you have in you arsenal, the better, but it takes a lot of practice before it all becomes instinctual.

#17 9 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

The more techniques you have in you arsenal, the better, but it takes a lot of practice before it all becomes instinctual.

TRUTH. : B

Flipper skills are coming more naturally to me than nudging skills, because back when I was a kid I learned the flipper skills easily enough, but never really thought of nudging as an appropriate technique for playing. (In fact, I always referred to nudges as "tilts" because that's often how pinball video games referred to them in the controls.) As a result, it's been taking me a lot more effort to learn proper nudging techniques and I still haven't really got the hang of it in real life... Though I have gotten very good at it digitally, so I've built up the instincts to know WHEN to nudge, I just need to learn to translate that into physical movements on real machines.

#18 9 years ago

I've been using this more lately out of reflex than actual intent. I didn't do this as much before. At some point it becomes reflexive. I've noticed that the more I play, the more I seem to treat the flippers as a bodily extension, resulting in twitch reflex moves like this.

#19 9 years ago
    Quoted from Gemini:

I think what it is for me is that I'm failing to recognize WHEN to use drop catches to their best ability, thus I end up trying them when I really shouldn't be using them. : P

Gemini. I used to struggle with this exact same problem. Then someone explained it to me this way and a light just went off in my head. "Use the live catch when the ball is coming at an angle away from the flipper and towards the center drain. Use the drop catch when the ball is coming towards the flipper and away from the center drain". Now of course, if it is coming straight down the playfield you have to choose and I prefer the live catch in that instance. Unless of course you need it on the other flipper, then you just don't flip!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-do-you-call-this-move and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.