(Topic ID: 22956)

What do Whirlwind CARDINAL Direction Arrows Indicate?

By RyanClaytor

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by MrDo
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

13290.gif
#1 11 years ago

Hi All,

Proud WW owner here. I've played the game a bunch and feel like I've got a solid handle on all the rules, but I can't for the life of me figure out what the CARDINAL Direction Arrows Indicate. Any clues?

I read the ruleset a couple times over. (http://www.pinball.org/rules/whirlwind.html) While it talks about the intermediate directional arrows (NE, NW, SE, & SW), it doesn't say anything about the cardinal direction arrows (North, South, East, or West). I understand the colored arrows (NE, NW, SE, & SW) reference the targets to be hit in order to lock balls for multiball. However, the issue I'm still confused about are the cardinal direction arrows (the white arrows with only a North, South, East, or West abbreviation on them). What do they do? What do they reference? Am I missing something in the ruleset?

Thanks for your time, guys!
Ryan Claytor
Elephant Eater Comics
www.ElephantEater.com

13290.gif13290.gif

#2 11 years ago

Bump. Still hoping someone might know about this.

#4 11 years ago

No idea. Never really thought about it actually.

#5 11 years ago

I honestly think they are just extra bling for effect. I don't think they really mean anything.

#6 11 years ago

there are four different combination of shots you have to do to light the lock and the N,S,E,W represents that. Say the first combination(se and ne) the "N" will be lite and on the next combination will have "E" lite

#7 11 years ago

Moved to playing tips

#8 11 years ago

It enables the lock and turns the fan on "The storm is coming head for your home"

You need to hit whichever ones are missing in the big wheel in the center.
Once you have all directions completed it lights the right ramp shot for ball lock.

Upon the third lock it starts multiball.

This is in the manual and should be on your games instruction card.

It is the primary object of the game

I love this game one of my favorites. Have fun

#9 11 years ago
Quoted from PinWiz17:

there are four different combination of shots you have to do to light the lock and the N,S,E,W represents that. Say the first combination(se and ne) the "N" will be lite and on the next combination will have "E" lite

I just took the glass off of mine to figure this out, but it still doesn't really make any sense.

To start with, I have NE lit and a corresponding NE arrow to hit to enable the lock. Duing this time, the E insert is also lit. When the ball is locked, NE and SE are lit to enable ball lock and the N insert is lit. After locking that ball, there are no directions lit and you just have to lock the 3rd for multiball. After multiball completes, you have to hit NW and SW to light lock. N is still lit during this time. After completing that lock, SW and SE are needed to enable lock. W is lit during this time. Multiball... Then NW, NE, and SE are required to enable the next lock. S is lit during this time. Next, NW, NE, SE, and SW are required for lock... N is lit during this time. Lock that ball, special is lit, then multiball again.

It almost seems like the cardinal directions just rotate counter clockwise.. except it repeats N after the first multiball, and skips W when it comes around and goes back to N before the 3rd multiball. BUT, after the 3rd multiball, S is lit.

#10 11 years ago

Ok so the N E S W are the storm location needed for lock. NE SE NW SW are radar you are a storm chaser. Very hard to explain and even harder to hit them all on call.

#11 11 years ago
Quoted from Shoot_Again:

Ok so the N E S W are the storm location needed for lock. NE SE NW SW are radar you are a storm chaser. Very hard to explain and even harder to hit them all on call.

The NE, SE, NW, and SW inserts and corresponding arrows on the playfield are needed for lock. What do the N, S, E, and W inserts actually mean?

#12 11 years ago
Quoted from shanetastic:

I just took the glass off of mine to figure this out, but it still doesn't really make any sense.

Shane, I did the same thing last night, with the same results. Still a bit puzzled. I even went on to a 3rd and 4th multiball. It seems to just keep alternating between N and S in the 3rd and 4th multiball locking sequence.

Quoted from Shoot_Again:

I thought for a second that maybe I understood this reasoning, like if the storm is located in the North, then your "radar" directions would be, like, scanning (or something) both NW and NE in order to find the storm in the North(?). Okay, so I turned on my Whirly. When NW and NE are lit, so is the cardinal direction of East. I guess that theory is out the window.

Still curious!
Ryan Claytor
Elephant Eater Comics
http://www.ElephantEater.com

1 year later
#13 10 years ago

Did this ever get figured out ? the code could be unfinished, since the cardinal directions and radar insert are never used to signify in game progress. Would be fun to have to defeat N,S,E,W storms to result in a second wizard mode.

4 weeks later
#14 10 years ago

Bump for a still unsolved mystery.

#15 10 years ago

Great thread! WW owner here and I have no idea what they mean. I've tried to figure it out on my own and haven't.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 90.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bakersfield, CA
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-do-whirlwind-cardinal-direction-arrows-indicate and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.