(Topic ID: 275729)

What do these old things usually sell for?

By Mafia_Metals

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by pookycade
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

imagejpeg_0(23) (resized).jpg
    imagejpeg_0(22) (resized).jpg
    IMG_8461 (resized).jpg

#1 3 years ago

a friend of mine is looking at this old pin. By the looks of it, 1940s woodrail I do believe. He wants to try and make a fair offer to an old couple that has it and even they don't know what it's worth. They claim it works, but wiring is old. Here are photos I have at the moment. Will post more when I get

IMG_8461 (resized).jpgIMG_8461 (resized).jpgimagejpeg_0(22) (resized).jpgimagejpeg_0(22) (resized).jpgimagejpeg_0(23) (resized).jpgimagejpeg_0(23) (resized).jpg
    #2 3 years ago

Free.
    Wood rails are almost worthless and they should pay him to haul it off.
    If they expect anyone to pay for it they’re crazy. They’re heavy, they’re flipperless and they only appeal to a few dozen people in the country.
    It’s missing the coin door and mechanism which is near impossible to source.
    Everything on these old games is pretty hard to source.
    Free or maybe like $5 for their thoughts

#3 3 years ago
    Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Free.
    If they expect anyone to pay for it they’re crazy. They’re heavy, they’re flipperless and they only appeal to a few dozen people in the country.

woodrails are not worthless, friend just sold a highly collectible one for $2200 and another one for for $1400, depends what they are. Quite a few worth big bucks if you do the research.

#4 3 years ago

15 - 20 years ago woodrails were the jam and there were folks collecting and hunting for them. Although that collector subset has passed. They are not worthless and will someday again be appreciated. I have one and I also really like to play it.

#5 3 years ago
    Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

woodrails are not worthless, friend just sold a highly collectible one for $2200 and another one for for $1400, depends what they are. Quite a few worth big bucks if you do the research.

I'm sure it depends on condition too for sure

#6 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mafia_Metals:

I'm sure it depends on condition too for sure

The one pictured is $200-$300 bucks.

#7 3 years ago
    Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

I know some are highly collectible but the chances of finding a good condition wood rail that doesn’t need a shitton of work and/or missing parts is few and far between.
    Most the time like the ones pictured they’re worth like $100 and in my opinion that’s basically just the “parts are worth it” price.
    I say worthless as an exaggeration kinda like half the beater EMs you see on Facebook. Sure you may find the diamond in the rough but 9/10 it’s just an average game that only has value to us collectors who simply appreciate the history.

When you happen upon a GTB mermaid or something at a garage sale for $100 I’ll change my stance lol

#8 3 years ago
    Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Free.

I agree that flipperless woodrails are usually worth little to nothing. Also, parts are real hard to find, and yes the right coin doors are unobtanium as door sizes did not stay constant over the years. Moved a few 1940s pins over the years and never found them to be heavy?

#9 3 years ago

Just seen a 1946 Surf Queens sell at auction without the playfield glass but looked to have a good backglass and otherwise in the same condition as this game go for $140. When I talked to the seller he asked me what I would have paid for it ( he thought I wasn't there for the auction) and I politely told him nothing close to that is all I said. I personally wouldn't have gone over $25. I did spend $3K for my Nags but it didn't look any thing like either of those games and lets face it, it's a Nags. Years ago someone at Allentown was selling the complete head to a Mermaid backglass and all for $3K, I was so tempted but also knew I'd never find the rest of the game but it would be cool to have but not $3K cool sitting in my closet of long lost project games. So yes some wood rails do bring good money.

John

#10 3 years ago

$100- as I'm pretty sure after cleaning it up it will sell whole or can part it out. And a thank you for taking it out of your house.
    -Mike

#11 3 years ago

I just bought my 1st woodrail for $100. Highest I'd go on one is $150.

#12 3 years ago

$200 for a flipperless with a striking backglass. $100 tops otherwise.

These things are cool, but let's be honest, you're not going to be playing them nearly as much as a flipper game.

You are basically purchasing a large piece of art.

#13 3 years ago

This is one of the more bizarre aspects of pin collecting. Usually age + scarcity • big bucks with collecting. No so much except for a very few rare EMs like Mermaid. I suspect at least part of this is due to the fact that pins are one of the few antiques which are actually put back into play rather than on a shelf to look at. I do keep thinking that they are so beautiful that one day they will be actually worth more than they are now.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-do-these-old-things-usually-sell-for?hl=mafia_metals and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.