(Topic ID: 246582)

What do I need to make a new Crystal Ball screen work?

By harryhoudini

4 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

My screen is likely the issue, I swapped with another WOZ and narrowed it down to the screen (swapped SD cards, etc). I have a new screen but it seems like there is some firmware that might need to be deployed on it? Maybe I need one of their USB connection kits so I can do that? I swapped the SD card in to the new screen but I just get the screen "diag report" and nothing else.

LTG Pinballomatic is there a trick to getting a new screen to work?

#2 4 years ago

Can anyone help here?

#3 4 years ago

Just a suggestion but maybe try and download the latest update again with your new screen installed. Maybe the update will send the info you need to the screen during that process.

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from pinstyle:

Just a suggestion but maybe try and download the latest update again with your new screen installed. Maybe the update will send the info you need to the screen during that process.

JJP tech seems to suggest the only way is to buy a screen from them. I'm going to get the programming cable for the screen and see if I can copy the code from my old screen to the new one. The jjp screen isn't that much more expensive but I don't want to rely on them if I don't have to and I have a screen already. Will update.

1 week later
#5 4 years ago

I agree. If there is a way in which to do this without having to go through JJP, why not? These manufacturers should be supportive of this type of approach but I expect that none are.

I am very interested to see how you make out as my display sometimes seems to hang up on scenes or not display anything. Just not sure what the real expected behaviour is though.

#6 4 years ago

I'm messing around with it now. If JJP would share their code with us I think the upgrade would be easy enough. I am not sure if I can grab the code from the old screen.

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from harryhoudini:

I'm messing around with it now. If JJP would share their code with us I think the upgrade would be easy enough. I am not sure if I can grab the code from the old screen.

JJP encrypts their code so unfortunately I don’t see them sharing it. :/

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

JJP encrypts their code so unfortunately I don’t see them sharing it. :/

I don't know if they can encrypt this code for the 4D screen, but I also don't see a way in general to pull code from the screen. Only deploy/build code and copy it to the screen. I imagine they code is really simple, a block of IF statements for which video to show.

#9 4 years ago

4D basically confirmed that they don't know a way to pull the code from the screen. So basically since JJP won't give out the code there is no way to replace this screen without JJP.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Lighting - Led
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 395.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 55.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

9,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Santa Maria, CA
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

Machine - For Sale
St. Clair Shores, MI
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA
$ 9,800.00
Pinball Machine
Pixels Arcade Games

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-do-i-need-to-make-a-new-crystal-ball-screen-work and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.