12 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by wizzardz
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

photo-18.JPG
    photo-18.JPG
    photo-19.JPG
    photo-20.JPG
    photo-15.JPG
    #1 12 years ago

Im trying to get this blackout in the best possible condition i can. The playfield looks 100% better. but! It has some major wear. Ive never touched one up and the few times Ive played with the paints it looks bad so i wipe it off. a bad touchup devalues the pin more than just leaving it alone imo. Any suggestions? What would you do?

photo-15.JPGphoto-15.JPG photo-20.JPGphoto-20.JPG // Error: Image 11406 not found // photo-19.JPGphoto-19.JPG photo-18.JPGphoto-18.JPG

#2 12 years ago

Well... I say go for it. Touch that thing up. Take your time and do the best you can. Blackout is not worth a whole lot anyway. Your touchups arent gonna change the value that much. Just make sure it plays good! You dont play the paint!!

I love my Blackout and never plan on selling it, playfield wear and all.

#3 12 years ago

There are a lot of members here who have done phenominal restoration jobs on thier pins, PM one or two and ask questions and they'll help! Mystic completed a restore recently on his Space Shuttle that was simply awesome, I'd bet if you PM him he'll assist you in any way he can, good luck and remember, contact some pinheads here!!!!!

#4 12 years ago

Thanks for the insight guys. I've read all the articles online about touchup but articles don't answer questions.

#5 12 years ago
    Quoted from the_pin_family:

I've read all the articles online about touchup but articles don't answer questions.

That's cause it basically boils down to artistic talent when all is said and done. It's difficult to teach that via a webpage.

You can pay someone with artistic talent to fix it for you.
    You can keep doing what you are doing - try your best & wiping it off if you don't like it. If you get something you like, walk away and let it dry. It'll still come off later if you change your mind.

Your final option is to leave it like it is, wax it and play it.

"best possible condition you can" would involve sending the playfield out to someone for restoration and clearcoating. Figure $600 or so probably and several months wait. It will look great and you'll be done. You'll be underwater price wise in the pin though.

If you can't live with any of these options, sell the machine and get one with a playfield you can live with. Good luck!

#6 12 years ago

Is this special paint? where do they have it?

#7 12 years ago

Here is a link to some youtube vids that discuss this in detail. He shows what type of paints, touch up methods and even clear coating. There are more than a few ways of doing things but this is a great place to start.

http://www.youtube.com/user/MyVintagePinball

#8 12 years ago
    Quoted from examiner:

Your final option is to leave it like it is, wax it and play it

+1 on this - particularly if you are undecided about what to ultimately do with it. You really don't have to decide on what touchup (or how) to do until you decide to do something more permanent like clear-coating. Until then, a good polish and wax would make it a nice playing pf without sinking a lot into it.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-do-i-do-1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.